gdf

Life

Who are you?

I'm not surprised you haven't heard of me, I'm not exactly in the video game making industry. On the positive side; I'm not in the video game making industry! I have a real, authentic chance at having a life of balanced work/leisure!

On Thursday I'm going to sign a contract on a pie-in-the-sky castle-in-the-clouds imaginary apartment that only exists as crazed scribblings on an architect's napkin.

I have never seen them, only heard of them through whispers in the dark and drunken tales.

I drove thru a drive thru yesterday and ordered Root Beer and got Dr. Pepper instead.

Why do people do that? Is it ignorance, or is it malice?

Is it both?

But then I got a bunch of free jellybeans, so I'm ok now guys; don't worry about me. Thanks.

I drove thru a drive thru yesterday and ordered Root Beer and got Dr. Pepper instead.

Why do people do that? Is it ignorance, or is it malice?

Is it both?

It's not both.

Our local British Import store, the Curiosity Shop, closes today. It was a great place, they sold a huge variety of teas, they had imported groceries, Doctor Who merch, a swell deli, a neat selection of books, Celtic jewelry, and tartans, among other things. Apparently, talking to the owners, they were too successful for their own good: British imports became so chic in town that all the big stores in town have British aisles (oh man that's a good pun), and the Curiosity Shop couldn't compete (bigger stores don't need to make a profit on Digestives). The store's been around for 15 years, expanded twice, and now it's finally gone. Or will be in a couple hours.

I start a (hopefully) totally sweet new job on Monday. It's exactly what I want to be doing and for a boatload (~£8k) more money than I get now. Plus it's a Monday-Friday 9-5 deal, no more working weekends B)

I know I've said this before but hopefully this will give me more time to participate on the boards again. Hooray for me.

Is it far far away from the place on the reality TV show?

Well it turns out that TV isn't legally binding and when they said "we'll give you a job at head office" what they actually meant was "you can come to head office for two days on your days off, unpaid, pay for your own travel and file invoices because we don't k ow what to do with you and we can't actually afford to give you a job anyway. Despite having a degree we sugest you look at further education."

So yeah, fuck those guys.

Awful indeed, SignorSuperdouche. Glad to hear you're away from them to something better if they just make nice for the cameras.

One of my little final buys at The Curiosity Shop was a one cup teapot with a nesting tea cup. It turns out this is absolutely perfect for my favorite oolong; my tea is whole leaf and the pot has a tiny spout that the leaves don't fit through. Also, the way oolong works, you add water to the leaves repeatedly and it actually gets better the more you use the same leaves, so it's perfect for that.

Wasted pretty much the whole day by attempting to upgrade my HTPC (which also serves as router and shell box) from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04. For 10.04 I had to fiddle around with ALSA to get proper audio over HDMI. And now with 12.04 I have no audio at all. I thought I might have screwed up the alsa/pulse stuff with my fiddling, so I more or less trashed all alsa and pulse stuff I could find and reinstalled the bunch. But it's still not working.

So I gave up and had some dinner... but then the PC crashed completely, and suddenly the harddrive wasn't recognized. After making sure the cable was properly connected (might have gone loose because I was trying to figure out what was making the high pitched noise, it was the fan but only when fan control was enabled). HD was recognized again, but needed checking and fixing. grrr...

So right now it sort of works again, but still no sound. And I have the new ubuntu crap, unity and what not. I was perfectly happy with the gnome2 theme. Unity is shite, gnome 3 is less awful, but still crap. This retarded Apple like UIs where you cannot change any of the default UI crap (like animations and stuff) needs to stop.

So.. the hardware appears to be a bit unstable now, and the software doesn't work completely...

I shouldn't have attempted to upgrade the machine. It was working quite ok. All I wanted was a newer version of xmbc that did support DTS passthrough.

I don't think there's any area of my life quite like computers, where I'll ruin everything only to realize I was quite content with how things were and my attempts to change them are the definition of hubris. Good luck with that, elmuerte.

Ok, so the HDMI output channel is called "s/pdif 1", not to be confused with the "s/pdif" channel or the "s/pdif d" channels. So now I do have sound, only the center and surround left; and the subwoofer and surround right channels are swapped.

But there's still one thing that crashes, or at least, that is what the system keeps telling me, but I have no idea what. The error reporting is just as wonderful as windows' error reporting.

Anyway, its better than before. Now I only need to order a new 4x4cm that doesn't make an annoying high pitched noise. Not sure about the harddrive ...