gdf

Life

Mostly this one.

010fuug.jpg

Besides a disk sander and a power drill, all the tools I've used have been hand tools.

What?! HOW!?

Congratulations, man! I can never tell, but is it a boy or a girl?

A girl, she's called Hanna. I tried to get something nerdy like for her sister (Ada) but couldn't really come up with something that was acceptable to both me & wife. My top choice there was Marie (for Curie) but no dice, alas.

You should've had BBQ in Lockhart, it is the capital of TX BBQ and it is not much out of the way b/n Austin and Houston...

Ah. Well we didn't know this - all anyone had really told us about in Austin was Franklin's. Never mind. Austin was our favourite place though, we think.

Why are you driving 3 and a half hours to Houston from Austin?! Gotta beat my 2 hour and 30 minute time!

Also thank you for pointing out how idiotic Austin's highway system is, most people don't seem to grasp how idiotic it is. I'm really not much of a fan of Austin, but it's my home now. A word from someone who grew up here, since I mostly meet people who moved here, is that Austinites did not want to allow space for other people outside the city to move in and spoil their little hippie culture, so city council routinely made decisions against widening roads or making them generally accessible. Not incredibly sure how true this is, but sounds about right given my experience with the city's born and raised inhabitants.

Osmosisch; gefeliciflapstaart and if Hanna's going to be anything as cute as your other daughter you'll have a pair of wonderful children!

Nine days in on my ill-fated Source project and it's looking grim. Mostly just because I'm an idiot and have no clue what I'm doing, which thankfully is a curable condition. It really is strange though. I keep discovering all these bizarre little quirks that don't make any sense to me, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't get rid of it because it was built over the course of a decade by very smart very experienced people. Also I don't know anything about proper programming form so I'm probably making the grossest ugliest edits ever.

If I'm going to have anything to show for this, I should probably focus a lot more on the art side. I don't really have much experience 3D modelling yet but this sure as hell is a good excuse to learn. I'll be posting a bunch of sketches on the blog later. In the mean time, here's a couple posts about the weird placeholder protagonist. I'm hesitant to spend a lot of time on developing an art direction since my first goal is to construct an interesting movement system with a lot of core interactions (kind of like Donkey Kong on the Game Boy), but I'll probably dump Source and pick up something like Unity before I manage to do that. So I guess I should make assets and crap.

P.S. Right now my "game" is called Dickaround: A Platformer, Starring: Guy Ping

Î moved into a new house in January. I have not got any Internet yet. I'm not sure if I miss its all pervasiveness or not, but I do miss playing dota and lol with gwardien and other cool peeps.

thankfully is a curable condition. It really is strange though. I keep discovering all these bizarre little quirks that don't make any sense to me

My advice is be ready to throw stuff out and start something new. When I was first learning UnrealEd, I made it scream by doing weird curved levels it wasn't meant to do at all. Up to a point, that taught me excellent stuff about UnrealEd, but mostly it involved wasting time on the perfection of bad projects. The best game designers I know generally learned by making one flawed thing a week for a couple of years rather than spending the same amount of time on two or three projects.

Yeah, that's more or less my plan. That's kind of what I did when I played around with Flixel, although I never did go back and try to learn more of it, which is probably bad form but whatever. At this point for me amount of time I have to spend just reading code I don't understand and scrolling through poorly organized documentation kind of rules out the whole idea of making a bad prototype every week. I think, if I can't figure out how to make Source work for me anytime soon, I'll settle for implementing my own character model and animations and maybe make some kind of aesthetically interesting level. Then scrap it all and move the whole thing over to another engine.

My advice is be ready to throw stuff out and start something new. When I was first learning UnrealEd, I made it scream by doing weird curved levels it wasn't meant to do at all. Up to a point, that taught me excellent stuff about UnrealEd, but mostly it involved wasting time on the perfection of bad projects. The best game designers I know generally learned by making one flawed thing a week for a couple of years rather than spending the same amount of time on two or three projects.

Yep.

Chapter 11 from Mythical Man-Month: Plan to Throw On Away (you will anyhow).

It applies to pretty much everything. So, prototype prototype prototype. </dancing like Balmer>

Either way it's arbitrary. I picked the one that was on my computer anyway and seemed like a more interesting challenge. Fwiw, I think I've already learned a lot about the scale of what I don't understand and where my expectations need to be. So far I've only even opened a couple dozen of the source files and I'm already baffled.

Î moved into a new house in January. I have not got any Internet yet. I'm not sure if I miss its all pervasiveness or not, but I do miss playing dota and lol with gwardien and other cool peeps.

we were wondering if you were alive or not!

Osmosisch; gefeliciflapstaart and if Hanna's going to be anything as cute as your other daughter you'll have a pair of wonderful children!

Thanks! So far she's a delight :)

Well done completely mis-timing your trip so as to miss me at both ends, jerks.

Haha! yeh, sorry. We were planning to swing through Tallahassee as we'd talked about, but halfway through the trip you jobbed a job and then a house! So we just missioned straight to Tampa. T'was a shame.

Happy year of the snake! I just read an article about the amazing Chinese high speed train that goes all the way from Beijing to Guangzhou. Great story in the NRC (Dutch newspaper). The train was apparently made with maffia corruption at its core, but the thing is also a technical marvel, state of the art, luxury train travel.