gdf

Life

It's actually in my non-mouse arm, the one that operates shift, ctrl and the letters A, Z and Q. Ah. Ah. Aaaah.

How far do you need to walk to get a coffee or something to drink? Make the distance large and your cups smaller.

The prospective employer I spoke of on the previous page? They'd love to have me! Talks begin next week. Holy cow, it seems like I actually have a job!

Actually typing seems to have shit all to due with Carpel Tunnel, much as it seemed like it did. From a study on it, can't be bothered to spend half an hour on google to find it (several years old). Still, aase in point, the hundred million people that spend all day on a computer typing thanks their jobs. If typing DID cause it then it would be a plague on mankind, but it's not of course.

Carpal tunnel also has LOTS to do with stress. Stress can be a major factor in its development.

Carpal tunnel also has LOTS to do with stress. Stress can be a major factor in its development.

I'm talking about the above picture, "correct" typing positions and all that.

Interesting words Rodi. I have never heard of stress being a cause, or involved in the development of, carpal tunnel syndrome. Any references for that, above anecdata on the net.

Using computers at a weird angles definitely causes carpal tunnel in my experience. Thankfully I've usually been able to get rid of it. Either by the use of raised mouse-pads, or just re-positioning myself, and the pain goes away in a few days. I now know from experience how not to position my body.

Interesting words Rodi. I have never heard of stress being a cause, or involved in the development of, carpal tunnel syndrome. Any references for that, above anecdata on the net.

Sorry, I don't have double blind tests for that - just my own experience. I've had bouts of RSI over the years. Of course I cut down on time in front of a screen, but I found that the whole thing just disappeared as by magic, when I started feeling better about myself and my work. I figured stress had more to do with my case than anything physical. YMMV.

Using computers at a weird angles definitely causes carpal tunnel in my experience. Thankfully I've usually been able to get rid of it. Either by the use of raised mouse-pads, or just re-positioning myself, and the pain goes away in a few days. I now know from experience how not to position my body.

Eat science! http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000433.htm . "Yet, there are no good studies that prove carpal tunnel is caused by typing on a computer, using a mouse, or repeating movements while working, playing an instrument, or playing sports."

I've never heard of stress causing it either, nor do Google searches turn up anything. You might be suffering confirmation bias, only taking into account when it gets worse and you're under stress to prove that you're onto something to yourself. Or maybe you're right! I can't actually find any studies on it.

How far do you need to walk to get a coffee or something to drink? Make the distance large and your cups smaller.

This has been good advice to get me to take more frequent breaks. Thanks. :tup:

I've also haven't been doing any physical stuff for a while now, so starting tomorrow I'm gonna try and pick up swimming. I love my current home! It's close to the city center, so most things are no more than 5-10 minutes away.

By the way, congrats on the potential job, Rodi!

Eat science! http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000433.htm . "Yet, there are no good studies that prove carpal tunnel is caused by typing on a computer, using a mouse, or repeating movements while working, playing an instrument, or playing sports."

I've never heard of stress causing it either, nor do Google searches turn up anything. You might be suffering confirmation bias, only taking into account when it gets worse and you're under stress to prove that you're onto something to yourself. Or maybe you're right! I can't actually find any studies on it.

No good studies doesn't equal no connection. Science takes down "science"!

RSI: Try WorkRave for Windows. It times your activity and suggests breaks. My RSI (tendinitis in the forearms) was probably precipitated by trying to work 3 jobs at once and taking no breaks. Anecdata: stress definitely made my symptoms worse. I would be a lot tenser and that made things hurt more. I was also less mindful and so I had less sense of when things were getting too much, and would work right through the pain (which is never a good idea with RSI or other issues).

I now have chronic pain in both my arms and cannot really play video games any more because I tend to get too engrossed and keep pushing buttons until I'm crippled. Please take me as a warning and do not ignore what could be RSI. Take good care of yourselves.

Rodi's new job: Congratufuckyou!

Me: The movers are here to pack everything up. I have constructed a fort in the bedroom full of things that won't be packed, and have hooked up the cable modem inside my fort. I am quite stressed and anxious. Well, I was - but I took an Ativan so soon I will be loopy and sleepy and stressed and anxious. An interesting combination.

Modern internet ordering is amazing. Our washing machine broke, we ordered a new one at 20:00 last night, and at 8.20 this morning the doorbell rang and some dudes took the old one and put in the new one. This is the future, people.

Congrats Rodi! Guess you're in the Randstad? Which company if it's not too much to post publicly?

I've been sick since Saturday. This is the fourth day of work in a row that I've missed, and I'm bored out of my skull to boot. I know that I made bonus in December, so my paycheque on Friday will be far bigger than normal, and now I can't even enjoy it since I know that my next one's going to be a disaster.

That's most excellent, subbes! Thanks for that. :)

Piratepoo; I'll be doing lots of different styles of animation and designs, all in the interest of communicating a specific analytical process. That may sound a little boring, but it totally isn't! I'll get to do really cool and creative things across the board.

Subbes; despite new work success, I won't forget either you or Arino. Good luck with the move!

Osmosisch; this is the best thing: it isn't in the Randstad. It's in the Den Bosch region, so the river landscape that I'm familiar with and love (I grew up below Nijmegen). I'm super happy about the location, since I'll have plenty of rustic area around me, yet also a big city and easy public transportation access.

I don't want to disclose names and specifics just yet, sorry for that. Maybe once everything finalizes!

Ha, nice! Sounds lovely. A friend of mine moved to Den Bosch from Groningen a year or so back, we still see him up here for boardgames about once a month. He says it's really nice.