gdf

Life

The "Exstra Hvitlok" is presumably the aforementioned extra garlic (I bet you're glad the chef didn't take you at your word) and I'm guessing "Levering" is delivery, because it's similar to the German and that would make sense. Which leaves me with one question; what the hell is "Med" and why is it free?

She had already printed the receipt out when she delivered the pizza, so there was no awkward pause. However, she did comment on the amount of garlic, and I confessed it was more of an experiment than such a strong craving for garlic.

The «Med» is Norwegian healthcare. Norwegian laws demand that all receipts include this item for some reason.

I wanted to see what happened when I entered a ridiculous value into their pizza system. Nothing more, nothing less. I consider it a success. Think about it – if I wanted to, I could submit an order with a million extra garlics. What would happen?

You'd be responsible for the horrible, garlic-y death of many pizza minions.

I wanted to see what happened when I entered a ridiculous value into their pizza system. Nothing more, nothing less. I consider it a success. Think about it – if I wanted to, I could submit an order with a million extra garlics. What would happen?

Enquiring minds need to know.

The «Med» is Norwegian healthcare. Norwegian laws demand that all receipts include this item for some reason.

So it's not "with"? Having a quantity next to that would be stupid, but no less stupid than having twenty lines of the same item with a quantity of one on each.

Also, is that about £30 for one pizza? I'd heard Norway was expensive, but that's ridiculous.

Med means with, it was a joke.

I guessed as much, but I couldn't think of a way to more elegantly trample all over it.

Dilemma time:

I had an appointment with someone recently, and was representing an organisation I volunteer for. He was incredibly rude to me several times, and I bit my tongue. It was the right thing to do, even though I came extremely close to telling him to eat a bag of dicks and get out, and not having done so annoyed me later. In future, I may have to deal with him again, but as myself so it'll be fine (for me). He is an arrogant, cold, aloof person. A part of what he did as soon as I met him seemed like a blatant power game to make me uncomfortable, so in the moment what it actually made me think was "Oh, right. You have issues". He's articulate and emotive enough that it's clearly not something like Asperger's.

What's really troubling me is this: Just before he left, he mentioned where he worked, and it turns out he's in the same small department there as a friend. I said "Oh, you must know so-and-so", to which he replied with a very long pause, then, voice dripping with contempt "Yes. I shouldn't, but I do. Anyway, enough about her…".

He started work there about four months ago, five months after she joined. She seems very happy in her job, she's a good friend and a very good person. Do I tell her or not? On one hand, if he's ever going to be a scheming little shit at work, I feel she should be forewarned. On the other, she's smart and probably made him exactly the same way I did. Also, if she's happy at work, I probably shouldn't voice anything that might corrupt that.

Perhaps you should wait until there are signs she is starting to hang out with him, and you feel the situation could end up badly for her? No use upsetting things unless there's good cause for it.

Just mention in passing when you're next chatting that you met 'so and so'. Say something neutral like, "He can be quite forthright <insert non-insulting adjective of choice> can't he?". That should give her enough of an opening to mention something. If she says, "Him! He's a cnut!" or similar, then you can progress with the full story. If she likes him, well - that's another dilemma for you to solve! :) Chances are she won't though. If he's so contemptuous of her to someone he's just met (her) and rude to you, likely he won't be guarded or exceptionally discreet in the office area and she will know what he's like.

A Cnut?

IMO you can tell her that he was rude to you, or ask if he's as rude at the workplace as he is at the charity.

Thanks. Scrobbs, that's not a bad idea, but I'm generally too direct to go fishing; it would almost certainly come out as "I met [name] the other day. Is he always a dickhead, or did I just catch him on a bad day?"

I noticed that she did stop coming to a regular event that he also attends. My theory: He's a fucking creep, all the time. My curiosity doesn't matter though; what's best for my friend does. I think that's probably keeping quiet.

You should totally tell her! My goodness, I can't believe you're even hesitating. Are you seriously thinking of not telling her because you MIGHT make her unhappy in work? If you're right, and he's as untrustworthy/slimy as you think he is, then a) She needs to know in order to protect herself in the long run, or B) She will already know. Your account of how someone was rude to you is only yours... He may be a completely different person to her (for all you know, you really rub him up the wrong way), but withholding information like that isn't cool.

Honesty, David! Honesty! Don't try and play god and assume you know what's best for other people! Just be honest!

A Scandy?

I would probably try to bring him up in a conversation to see how see will react.

Oops! I just assumed that Finland was part of Scandinavia. 'Pols brkl, Nappi.

Don't try and play god and assume you know what's best for other people! Just be honest!

It's arguable that I'm doing this whichever choice I make. I've asked a bunch of people so far, and the majority advice is coming out as "Don't tell her, it might make things worse".

Now you know what god feels like, Nach! But you know, this might be less of a diplomatic minefield than you think. Depending on her relationship with you, she might be totally cool with getting the low-down on something, and not thinking it a problem.

I would love it if god existed, but spent eternity hemming and hawing over social situations.

I think this is probably what I'll do at some point, and follow on according to how she reacts:

"I met [name] the other day. Is he always a dickhead, or did I just catch him on a bad day?"