gdf

Life

You can get the lindor truffles pretty much everywhere, especially around the holidays. Also now I want some. I see lindts chocolate in alot of grocery stores. Just won't find stuff like that in a convenience store

Oh, those Ghirardelli chocolates are alright too.

I don't know how different British tea is going to be, but you can get a good selection of tea in most decently-sized cities in the states. My town has a British import grocer with a very wide selection of teas. And in any city with a good sized Indian population you're going to be able to find an Indian market with imported tea aswell.

Just remember, we have a weird relationship with tea in the States. If you're far enough south, "tea" means sweetened ice tea. Further north, it means either sweet or unsweetened. Further north, it means unsweetened ice tea, and you have to ask for sweet. Eventually, there's a point where they'll ask you if you want hot or iced. Somewhere around New England or so, you ask for tea, and you'll get a cup of tea (though it may be a paper cup with a zarf).

Stay away from the sweet tea. That is the reason you'll see 400lb people in wheelchairs with missing feet.

Aside: the wife went through a time of making double chocolate brownies; then we had the idea of taking them out part cooked and pushing a Lindor truffle into the centre of each one so that it melted a little when the brownies were cooked.

I... wow. Holy crap. I actually just exclaimed "oh my god!" out loud because that is fantastic. At some point in my life I must find a way to experience a brownie made that way.

I just submitted my final project for the term! This ridiculously stressful 8-course term is finally and definitively over! I feel pretty good about things right now.

I buy PG Tips right from the grocery store shelves. Sometimes they're in the tea/coffee aisle, sometimes the "ethnic food" aisle (in the same tiny section as the Ambrosia Rice Pudding, the mint Aeros and the pickled onions).

Don't order tea in restaurants in the States. Even if you actually get "hot tea" it will be badly made (or they'll bring out a cup of warm water and expect you to make it yourself) and probably use Lipton teabags which are terrible.

Luftmensch: what inks are you using in your pens? I really like Iroshizuku inks for shading even though they're expensive; right now I'm doodling everywhere with Rohrer + Klingner Blu Mare because I needed a nice cheerful pick-me-up.

My interview has not been scheduled yet. Meanwhile I'm doing some web dev freelance and have reached the point where I really need to be more OO, but I'm stuck in a procedural habit.

I was being slightly tongue in cheek, but we will probably take a box or two with us (Yorkshire Tea. I'm kidding myself that the blend will be substantially different from PG/Typhoo etc. but your brain tells you this stuff). The British are notorious for bitching about the quality of tea elsewhere in the world, where in reality, I suspect, it's just different, and they like what they know. What I do know though, after long trips away, is one of the first things I do once in the door is stick the kettle on for a brew; and I'm not an especial tea lover.

We asked for a Samovar for a wedding pressie, and blagged some tea blend recipes from Iranian friends (that may or may not include cracked cardamons ;)). Coupled with saffron sugar, it is delish.

@Gwardinen - try it yourself! Brownies are dead simple :)

The British are notorious for bitching about the quality of tea elsewhere in the world

because it's terrrrribbbbbble

Here it is; both I and my Chinese coworkers keep to imported teas and don't touch the domestic stuff. I can't speak for anywhere else.

Luftmensch: what inks are you using in your pens? I really like Iroshizuku inks for shading even though they're expensive; right now I'm doodling everywhere with Rohrer + Klingner Blu Mare because I needed a nice cheerful pick-me-up.
Oh I'm just using Bombay since that's what Hobby Lobby (the only local art supply store) sells. I'm sure I could do better but it's not like I'll make any great use of it.

Here it is; both I and my Chinese coworkers keep to imported teas and don't touch the domestic stuff. I can't speak for anywhere else.

Eh. I drink a lot of imported loose leaf tea, but when it comes down to it I think good old Lipton is just peachy. There is lousy instant tea, but regular cheap tea is okay. Try it yourself, if you really just don't like it, you'll only have spent a couple bucks even on a big box.

Stay away from the sweet tea. That is the reason you'll see 400lb people in wheelchairs with missing feet.

You're telling me you live in South Carolina and don't drink sweet tea by the gallon?

P.s. if you like Ferrero Rocher (if the chap that mentioned them was American), you should really check out Lindt Lindor Truffles.

I am American but I've had the pleasure of trying actual chocolate. I am ever in constant supply of both Ferrero Rocher and Lindor Truffles, the truffles just run out way slower because I love the nuts on the Rocher.

I think good old Lipton is just peachy

i had to drink Lipton today and it was not good. It was very weak and yet bitter.

You're telling me you live in South Carolina and don't drink sweet tea by the gallon?

Ick I used to. I can't anymore, not as sweet as it comes down here. Maybe once a week or so I'll go to McDonalds and get some but I always have it cut in half with unsweetened tea.

i had to drink Lipton today and it was not good. It was very weak and yet bitter.

To each their own. I've heard people who brew iced tea at home sometimes add a little baking soda to cut down on the bitterness, but my family never did that.

Ick I used to. I can't anymore, not as sweet as it comes down here. Maybe once a week or so I'll go to McDonalds and get some but I always have it cut in half with unsweetened tea.

I agree chain restaurants can overdo it a lot of the time. But we usually make a lot of it at home and keep it in the back of the fridge in a big ceramic pitcher. It keeps it so cold there are usually little ice flakes floating on the top. There is nothing more awesome than coming in from the outside during the summer and pouring a huge glass of sweet tea. <3

I guess I should say that I've been starting to drink hot tea in the mornings with a little cream and sugar. Seems like its easier on the stomach than coffee.

Prismacolor watercolor pencils are fun too. That and a water-loaded brush pen is a great way to doodle on the go. Sakura makes a nice little travel watercolor set that comes with a brush pen; you can use the brush directly onto the cakes though I think you're supposed to just use it for water washes.

tumblr_mexrh0k9gr1qbpx0ko1_500.jpg

Here's some good old Christmas spirit in the aforementioned method. Apologies for the quality, it was just a doodle I did waiting for dinner, and I just took a photo instead of scanning. Also, I just doodle on a regular sketchbook; watercolor notebooks are expensive and the paper still buckles anyway. I guess the quality is better but I don't have any income right now so to hell with that.

I actually had a horrible time finding good tea in Britain. All I could find were cheap teabags, which might as well have been Lipton. Eventually I found some, but I had to go looking for it.

What! What! What! The EMPIRE was built on tea! We need to swap addresses and I'll send you some fine English tea and you can send me some Finnish tea and we can compare!

I'm reeling from your comments! Blasphemy!

What you need to do I'd bake kinder maxi into cookies and eat them while the kinder is still molten inside. The best.

So the CEO of the record company for this rapper (who is also his brother) contacted me today to storyboard the new music video from said rapper. I guess he records out of prison or something?

Also the rapper is a convicted child molester.

I'm really trying to find a way to politely decline but I think it'll just be better to ignore the e-mail.

That's probably what I'll type by the end of the day, but I've done that before to some people and a couple of times they have come back a month or so later to ask me if I'm still busy. I usually do this because I hate freelancing in general for many reasons, but I haven't been asked to creatively contribute for a child molester's music video before.

Funny day.

Throw a story board together involving children, ice cream and a panel van. They won't contact you again.

I was thinking about that and while it's really tempting, there is a small chance it could end up with me being dead. He has a lot of angry criminal fans who think he was wrongfully convicted.

Yeah, best not to wind these kind of people up unless you have an ocean and several economic orders of magnitude protecting you.