gdf

Life

I think I'm 98% done with my patent application. I just spent a paragraph describing "The Internet". Literally, I could have just said "the internet" and it would mean the same thing. I'm wondering if, in some alternate universe where karma changes your body, an alternate me doing the same thing has just sprouted whisker like things and has a strong desire to suck eggs.

Freecycle is great. Didn't want to chuck out a perfectly servicable shower tray. Posted an offer, someone picked it up within 2 days. :tup:

I'm going to copy your patent application and add "on a mobile device".

I'm definitely at that point where I wish I could afford to go to art school. I don't have a problem shitting out stuff but I wish I was surrounded by a community of enthusiastic artist to give me input. I keep looking at what I did and thinking, I know it could be better/I know it's not very good, but why, and what can I do to fix it? As far as technical skill I think I'm learning as I go along well enough, but even when I read theory books it's hard to step back and not only be able to judge my own sketches objectively, but apply lessons from something totally different to my own work.

When I was first working as a graphic artist at the local t-shirt shop, I learned a lot of great technical stuff about printing and using Illustrator (it was great when my boss' daughter, who's a graphic design student (and double-parenthetically on the dean's list and art student of the year) would always come to me to learn how to do things in Illustrator). I never really was challenged to push myself though, I'd always be met with input like "it's good enough for what they paid". It's a real shame imo.

Anyway here's a couple things I pooped out recently. So many little "can't put my finger on it" nagging problems, so few creative peers.

tumblr_mej9sh3Ze11qbpx0ko1_400.pngtumblr_memrwqet0A1qbpx0ko1_400.png

Is the one on the right Brkl?

...Nope. But, since I'm the guy who draws Brkl now, here's one for you. I don't even know the guy. For all I know he's probably a pretty decent fellow and not a Scandinavian goblin like I drew.

post-26526-0-26351800-1354838873_thumb.png

Well depending what kind of art you are interested in, you probably just want to join a good forum that is relevant to what you want to do. If you want to do great digital painting, hang around conceptart.org for a few years. Polycount and Game Artisans might be better for game related 3D art. You could even just connect with some people on Deviant Art you like and just talk.

But I don't know, I've only ever learned how to be a better artist by asking someone how to do something that is lightyears better than me. Figuring it out myself or reading about what to do doesn't exactly help because I'll still be working within my comfort zone. I don't think the feeling where you personally feel you are a shitty artist ever goes away though. Every day I do my art for work or myself I have a brief fleeting moment where I feel really proud and then look at something one of my peers did and feel extremely jealous. I often feel frustrated because it feels like it's going to take another 15 years to get where I want to be at right now. It probably will...

See everything that B^Uckley and Dobson have done? Do the exact opposite.

(I'm not an artist or much good at drawing anything better than stick figures. I once drew some neat-looking birds though.)

See everything that B^Uckley and Dobson have done? Do the exact opposite.

(I'm not an artist or much good at drawing anything better than stick figures. I once drew some neat-looking birds though.)

B^Uckley hasn't been shot in the face and dumped in a ditch somewhere yet? Surely he's not still doing CAD...

Ethan made a time machine out of butter, Lila was strangled to death by a robot, and then the world ended in a strip just as hilarious as loss.jpg.

Then it started up again and the main difference is that people have four fingers instead of three.

REVOLUTIONARY.

So Luftmensch, do you want to do art art or just get better at craft art? Because you're plenty good at the craft bit of it to stop caring about just getting better. Start making things you want to make and get better that way. Hang out with the local art scene and befriend competent people, then draft them to critique your work. Do you primarily work digitally? Cause if so, you should probably drop that habit. Knowing to paint in oils and acrylics and draw with all kinds of old-school media has had an infinitely bigger positive impact on my Photoshop skills than other way around.

Agreed 100% on that. I find myself leaning alot more towards traditional in general, but it does help a lot when dealing with color and composition since you can't really take giant shortcuts like in digital.

GUYS

GUYS GUYS GUYS

GUYYYYYYS

I FINALLY HAVE A JOB INTERVIEW

maybe, i mean, it's not scheduled, but the dude said he would contact me soon to set up a date

(CAUTIOUS M2CH.gif)

Awesome! Congrats Subbes!

I'm so sorry I still haven't posted your letter. Life exploded with busy and every time I've had time to write all I've wanted to do is lie down. I will be fixing this shortly.

Felicitations, Subbes! That's great news. I assume the 'move to SF' plan is on rails if this goes through?

I'm so sorry I still haven't posted your letter. Life exploded with busy and every time I've had time to write all I've wanted to do is lie down. I will be fixing this shortly.

You could

get an astronaut pen, they write upside down. They use them in space.