gdf

Life

Um, I'm 2:30s in and I'm wondering what I supposed to getting from this. How is this "poignant"? A drunk woman ranting?

Seriously. What's the point of this?

Edit: Scratch that. A drunk CRAZY woman ranting.

Edit edit: Ok, I've had enough. Thanks for making my day a little less bright.

After skipping around through that, I think we have different meanings for the word "poignant". Me, I've already had a bellyful of impotent election rage. No thank you on seconds.

Okay I gave it a chance.

Um.

Appears my original assumption was correct. Gonna have to agree with TP and Gormongous.

Aww, really? Man.

I dunno. So much of the right wing bullshit is completely over-the-top insane and disingenuous, and this lady seems a lot more earnest and rational than a lot of the partisans on the right. I listen to this vid and I wanna form a coalition with her.

Plus that bit about adding a B to her new Youtube channel in memory of the then recently dead Breitbart was kinda heartbreaking.

"Kiss my ass, you fucking libertarians! Go to hell, you think you voted for something but you are fucking stupid! You think four years of Obama are going to be better than four years of Romney? You are too fucking stupid to live here! Go to hell!"

Yeah, sorry man. Just ain't seeing it.

So many of the conservatives in my field of view are total fascist cartoons. Rick Perry is my governor for fucks sake, reigning Texas for a record 12 years now and unlikely to be voted out of office any time soon (thought Texans might be embarrassed by his presidential campaign, it remains to be seen whether anyone will remember what a flake he is by 2014 when he will be running for his 4th term). Old-world conservatives are a completely different story. I dunno.

So many of the conservatives in my field of view are total fascist cartoons.

I could introduce you to some intelligent and pleasant Republicans if you like?

Jeez, you guys! Listen to it as if it were a dramatic monologue, or sort of tragic vignette or something.

She rants for almost half an hour about how people who disagree with her are stupid and should die. There's pathos there for sure, but the only tragedy is the attention it's getting from us.

I feel bad for her, but I don't know if that was poignant.

Here are some jokes for Thunderpeel or anyone feeling their day isn't bright (irrelevant to that video or otherwise):

1. Two muffins are in an oven. The first one says, "Ahhh, it's so hot in here." The second one says, "Ahhh a talking muffin.

2. Two atoms run into each other. The first one says: "Oh no, oh no, oh no! I've lost my electron!" The second one says, "Are you sure?" The first one replies, "I'm positive!"

3. I used to think the brain was the most important organ. Then I thought, look what's telling me that.

4. And finally, a riddle coined by my cousin two years ago; she was, at the time, four.

"Why did the tree talk to the man who climbed it?" she said, putting on an Amelie smile and looking like she was about the greatest punchline in the world. "Because the tree is magic."

:) Tried to make sure all of them weren't in any way dark.

Living muffins dying in an oven pretty dark. D:

I had the same kind of feeling listening to that video as, say, watching a difficult, visceral play the likes of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf or God of Carnage, except as a monologue. Or an operetta. It has a refrain ("useless non-sharers get off the internet") that she puts between each act; each act has a different target and a different tone. First it's how mad she is at liberals, then at her ineffectual comrades, then at herself; then she becomes introspective and sincere and you begin to really feel for her and understand that she is not that crazy, she is not evil, even though she said she'd love to find you in her bedroom in the middle of the night and she'll kill you and enjoy doing it.

She just believes completely different things from you. But she cares a lot, because she thinks these things are really important, and she just wants to save you, and herself, and everyone. And she understands that she can't do this alone, so she does all she can, fully convinced that humanity is essentially good and if she builds it they will come. But support does not come, and she doesn't understand why. In her pursuit of the greater good, she knows that sacrifices must be made, and she goes on like a martyr, ostracizing herself completely in order to serve her cause. Her heroes fall before her - Sarah Palin turned out not to be as dedicated as she, lowly vlogger. Breitbart turned out to be mortal. But she keeps running, alone, because she thinks she must. She is no complete fool; she doesn't believe all those conspiracy theories, and knows that truth is bad enough without them. So she feels surrounded by conspiracy nuts on one side and wishy-washy conformists on the other.

That's where you start identifying with her. I think we all feel like this sometimes, when we care about a problem a lot.

I think by the end, full of pathos and wounded defiance, you come out with a much better understanding of the angry unreasonable Republicans (who are a lot more difficult to empathize with than reasonable intelligent ones like the ones you know, TP2K1). Especially when you're an angry unreasonable leftist one of the people she sees as the enemy, instead of her ineffectual computer-illiterate but probably mostly well-meaning regular listeners. The conversation would go very differently and we likely would never have known of her vulnerability, her good intentions. I feel like this is a very persuasive reminder that people like her are not entirely selfish, whether or not they have weird prejudices and terrible opinions about minorities. They are just as scared as you are.

I like it a lot, I dunno about you, but you certainly have to approach it as something you're seeing in a gallery or a stage.

I'll just say that politics have quite literally nothing to do with my distaste for the video or the woman behind it.

That's fine, I like it for reasons only barely related to the politics. If she had been talking about any other extreme polarizing issue it would have had the same effect, to me.

(I had that impression, too, but I assumed it wasn't intentional, so I took no offense!)

WTF. All I did was share my own personal impressions of the thing and why I like it so much. The "you" I use in my post is not YOU you, but a general you, which means me. I don't understand!

If it's the part about approaching it as if it were in a gallery or on a stage, I was suggesting to imagine it in a different context in order to not get the 'another angry person on the internet' effect from it, which I believe anything in the context of the internet suffers from. You may not believe me but this monologue actually had a pretty big impact on me, which is why I wrote so many words and cared about it so much on an internet forum.

That's way too many words for an angry woman none of us find particularly funny, or edifying. Sorry we don't get it.

It's the bit were you explain to us how we can now understand angry/unreasonable Republicans.

I just read that paragraph again and I'm still flabbergasted.

I've never believed that people on the other end of the political spectrum to me, *especially* emotional ones, are motivated by anything other than desire to do good...?