gdf

Life

Oh man Hermie, you are insane!! (/totally the best.)

Good luck with it all dude. It sounds like everything is working out; I hope it continues that way.

It's weird, but I've got a multi million dollar idea.

I say it's weird, because just an idea should not be worth millions. It shouldn't be possible; you should need to do a lot of work, and be motivated, and get everything right, and etc. You should actually have to put forth all that effort that comes after the idea and be the one to get that idea off the ground. But thanks to the current state of the US patent system, I wouldn't need that. I'd just need to patent it, and suddenly it's a multi-million dollar idea simply because I would "own" that idea.

Which I find disturbing. I'm not really into the whole patent litigation and extortion racket. In fact I'm dead against it, as it's a dead weight loss on the economy of the world as whole, and besides just feels icky. But at the same time, heck I'm still in college with student loans.

And it's an odd position to be in really. Usually, when you hear people with a "million dollar idea" they don't know what they're talking about. But thanks to years of economics classes and a somewhat obsessive hobby of learning every scrap of information there is about modern technology and the business surrounding it I've got a pretty good notion of what this "idea" is worth. And as stated above, thanks to patent litigation what should be almost worthless is potentially worth a lot. Of course, one should never count their chickens before they're hatched and etc.

But as I go about learning how to apply for a patent (how to write it out in the most weasely, legalese terms available, how best to hire a patent attorney) I also find myself considering what would happen in the not unlikely event that this "idea" is actually worth a lot of money. Call it 3 to 2, maybe 50/50 that it is assuming it's not patented already, and all preliminary research suggests it isn't. And yet I find myself almost hoping it's not worth money; because I don't like stress, and I don't like extortion, and I don't actually want it to be worth money.

But I don't want student loans hanging over my head, and I don't actually like the notion of a traditional office job. In fact as much as it makes me sound like a self interested pinhead with no notion of reality I never the less loathe the idea. My only thoughts at the moment, which as I said keep straying towards some optimistic future that has a decent chance of not happening at all, are that I could just charge depending on the company in questions business ethics. Microsoft and Apple, and their patent trolling ways, would get the shaft for example. While Facebook, which is actually kind of nice about things on the business end (yay open source!) would get a very cheap deal, if not for free and because.

I don't even know why I'm writing this. It makes me sound like a horrible and stupid person in a way. But writing it in a public place at least makes me feel better about it. Get's my head straight and helps me get back to work on this thing.

Do it and then distribute the profits among yourself and fellow Thumbs. That will make eeeeeeeverything better and all right.

It helps that I seem to be going around accidentally insulting people I respect.

I am terrible!

Is there anything more upsetting than pouring your heart out over something that's been gnawing at you for ages, and getting a cold, sarcastic reaction? No, there is not. At least I've learned I have a hell of a poker face.

Some of your guys and gals stories, mh, you seem to have real problems - reading this stuff I feel like I just have soapbubble-problems in a soapbubble-world. Hope it all works out for you!

Okay, so I just got my first lap dance tonight.

By pure chance.

10 Minutes.

It involved, among other stuff, whipped cream, a lollipop and a banana.

Some twohundred people were watching.

It was at a CSD (Gay pride)-party.

I'm a guy and pretty much only attracted to women.

I saw a dick.

People said I did well.

One of the stranger experiences in my life, I'm a bit confused as to whether this really did happen.

It did, but I'm still confused.

So hey, dudes.

Anybody have any ideas about how to deal with an infestation of Black Widows?

Normally not bothered by spiders, but this shit can go fuck off.

Anybody have any ideas about how to deal with an infestation of Black Widows?

Die from screaming so hard you forget to breathe?

Castorp, is getting a lap dance from a dude really an unsettling experience for you? In terms of people I actually want to have sex with, I'm straight as an exceptionally straight arrow, but getting involved with that shit can just be fun. Gotta expose yourself to situations to know what you like, right? And if something isn't your thing but isn't objectionable either, no reason not to just roll with it and have fun. Pride parties are kinda the best parties anyway. Never been to a disappointing one. Go have some fun! It's not like you have to have sex with the guy if you don't wanna.

MASSIVE EDIT: Y'know what? Redacted a whole lot. I've had a bit to drink tonight, am conflicted, and feel like I just over-shared a lot. Long story short (and bullet points!):

- long term partner wants to experiment with same-sex, offered me side girlfriend as well so I don't feel left out.

- really not sure if I'm comfortable with the "being in an open relationship" thing. Have been struggling with this for months. Still have yet to reach verdict.

- confided in very close friend, which resulted in her not giving advice but rather deciding and making it very clear that she wanted to get in on this situation

- REALLY don't know how I feel about that

- relationships are complicated and frustrating

PPAHB, everything you say is laced with drama because of the quivering screaming mess that that little dog is. I approve.

Castor [...]

Oh, I totally did roll with it. Me getting that lap dance (and not breaking out with laughter) felt a bit like going to church and praying loudly without believing a word, but still, fun.

As for the confusion, it still was massive amounts of ridiculous and surreal. Yeah, him picking me, the Straight Guy at the Gay Party (not the only one, but still) and then I sit there and think, boy, this is wasted on me, and the hundreds of people watching, are part of that confusion. But regardless of his dickhaving and my preferences in the composition of my partners, just me being me getting a lap dance, WTF? I guess it is supposed to be show for all the other people and not really a turn-on for the person involved (I don't know), but boy this is not up my ally, regarding intimacy, undressing someone, licking something off of someone or seeing genitals.

relationships are complicated and frustrating
Mh, complicated, but you guys seem to tackle it pretty well, being open about it, talking about it. That's important. If it's her wish to experiment like this, I'd say it would be unhealthy for your relationship to block it.

But I don't know (your situation or you well enough to give anything remotely advice-like), but considering your forum-pressence you seem like the right person to handle stuff like this well. Hope it works out!

Sno: jumping spiders. They are fuzzy, adorable, harmless to you, and intelligent cold-hearted hunters. They'll murder anything their size or slightly bigger. They are metal as fuck and also cute.

Miffy: Oof. :sad: I'd say if you are at all curious, give it a try, while always keeping it clear that your relationship with your girlfriend is the highest priority. If at any point it begins to interfere negatively, or creates feelings of guilt or jealousy from any party, cut it off. It could be a positive experience, though, so don't write it off entirely unless you feel really strongly against it.

Yeah, I'd say that's probably how it's going to shake out. If only because, fuck it, I'm 24 and young enough to make mistakes around stuff like this. In other news, I started my last year of teacher's college today and am stoked to get into a classroom. Over the weekend, I read the Amulet series of graphic novels that the fifth grade class I was working with in April was super into, and found it pretty charming. Reminded me a lot of Bone, which was my intro to graphic novels when I was that age. My plan to read a bunch of the children's/young adult stuff that has come out since I was of the age for it has resumed after my summer detour of reading heavy grown-up novels. Gotta be able to relate to the kids, right?

Man, if that situation happened for me, I would just feel my relationship slipping away, because I know that isn't me. But if you think you can hack it, go for it. Something like four years ago I had a crush for a woman who was into polyamory and they had this group of three people I probably joined. I didn't know about it when I developed the crush, so it was pretty shocking to find that out after she had been receptive to my clumsy advances :P I never really considered going forward with it, though, since for me that polyamory thing was just an immense turnoff. It doesn't sound like it's the same for you.

Your friend is going to be pretty cross with you if you don't pick her.

Miffy, I'd roll with it, but after making it super-clear how you feel about both your girlfriend and your relationship with her. Re:you sleeping with someone, I don't know. There's this douche frat boy in me saying, "Do it!" And someone in me who knows that, I, personally, would get jealous later, and having sex with someone else would help ease that, so he's also yelling "Do it!". But some obscure part is saying don't.

I suppose a threesome with you, your girlfriend and the other girl is out of the question.

Sno: jumping spiders. They are fuzzy, adorable, harmless to you, and intelligent cold-hearted hunters. They'll murder anything their size or slightly bigger. They are metal as fuck and also cute.

Until very recently I actually had some jumping spiders around here and was aware that they are generally beneficial to have around. They had seemed to have been awesomely keeping otherwise troublesome insect populations down and so i was just leaving them alone, but they're gone now and i think they may have died. I mean, and it was just like a few weeks between jumping spiders disappearing and black widows showing up.

Seriously though, what? You mean i should artificially introduce more jumping spiders into my home? Where would i even find some for that purpose?

Well, I don't know where you live, but you could try finding a few outdoors. Don't collect them all in the same jar though, they may fight.

Alternatively, perhaps you can order some from a pet store?

Or I guess you could call pest control but where's the fun in that?

Also, miffy, giving permission for this thing doesn't mean you're giving permission for your gf (or yourself) to do anything. Set down some ground rules and boundaries, take it slow, be honest and it could turn out to be really good for the relationship. If it turns out you can't handle it, at least you showed you were willing to give it a shot.

I've just started riding a bicycle to work. My thighs and arse are killing me.