gdf

Life

The peeps on pistonheads go on about them constantly. The chassis balance combined with the RWD makes them a clear favourite amongst most petrol heads. I guess they might be more popular over here in Europe 'cos of the roads being (in general) a lot more twisty.

Miffy - I really like the low down aspect of my Westie. I'm 6'1" - it can be a bit scary when you pull up to a roundabout and my eye level is *below* the level of a Corsa door handle, but in general the driving position gives you a lot of confidence in the handling.

Cool, how'd you manage that? As in, what was the final straw?

The landlord sited the continued noise as the final reason, however I'm sure as Subbes said, the prostitution was probably the major motivator. But the "massage" thing probably wouldn't hold up if he were to have to take them to court if they refuse to leave or something.

Spy Party is up the fucking wall. Totally unlike anything else I've played. Top stuff.

Spy Party is up the fucking wall. Totally unlike anything else I've played. Top stuff.

I continue to curse your very existence. That said, if you somehow get an "invite-a-friend" style thing, please consider me your greatest supporter.

Jealous.

I think it's easier to drive when you close the hood.

That's just what they want you to think. Switch to 'off mode' so you get the external camera view.

P.S. In the background on the left of the open hood of that Mazda, you can juuuust see the wing mirror of my current car, a 12-year-old Saturn econobox that is mostly plastic. She has 102K miles on her, the boot release doesn't work, and I'm just counting the moments until she finally conks out.

HOWEVER I did get her up to 95mph once, and for a Saturn, she is pretty - despite being "Harvest Gold" beige.

BJNS.jpg

The only reason I know what a 'Saturn' is, is because one was 'boosted' from Junior Soprano's teacher in an early series.

And teachers are just the kind of people who bought Saturns.

Saturn was GM's attempt to create a marque that would compete with cheap Asian imports.

It was billed as "a different kind of car company"; no haggling at dealerships, owner picnics, guided tours of the factory, "birthday" and 100K rollover parties for cars and owners, etc.

It was a good bet for economy vehicles. Had Saturn not been taken out back and shot during the car industry meltdown, I would have tried to get another.

Also most of a Saturn is made of plastic so it was a good first car for someone who wasn't quite sure where walls, other vehicles, traffic cones etc were.

Sylvia (my Saturn) didn't roll over to 100,000 miles until this winter, after Saturn was euthanized as a company. D:

I did go to the factory once, in 2003 or 2004 - it was on the way to Shammack's place. There weren't any tours going on at the time so I just wandered around, signed the guestbook, then got back on the interstate.

(I have photographs of the odometer at 100,000 miles, 101,010 miles, and 111,111 miles.)

After a full hour waiting for idiot bloke to finish idiot paperwork, I now have a 2011 Mazda 3i (2.0L, 5-speed auto)! Her name is Mab.

I am still getting used to the difference; the 3 is... well, it's a Mazda and it's only a year old so I'm sure you know, but because of the difference in age and trim I feel more isolated from the road. Interestingly, the car that felt most like the Saturn in that "oh hey i am driving I am not just in a bubble floating above the ground" way was the older Miata - you KNEW what was going on because you felt EVERYTHING, the road was right there in your face at your back under your feet here's a turn whoomph.

That 'woomph' in the Miata would be a little mariokart revvy power slide; the 'whoomph' in the Saturn would be the transmission falling out. No joke, I think if I had kept the Saturn it would have lost the entire exhaust system within the week - there were Ominous Noises coming from the back end.

Haven't worked out what I can and can't do with Mab yet, and keep accidentally flooring it because I'm used to only having the power of 3-hamster-wheels. And my insurance premium went up. D:

THE END.

I am sitting in a hotel in San Francisco bored out of my goddamned mind, waiting for tomorrow's five-hour interview. I'm not nervous.

Yet.

That'll happen tomorrow, as I walk to the office.

SO BORED.

I'm nearing 100K in mine. There's going to be some not in-substantial bills soon, I fear :/

Whenever I am next in the UK, I may find a way to hit you up and ogle your Miata (DISREGARD THAT I CUCK SOCKS)

What is it you have in the "ridiculous roadster" category? A Caterham, or a TVR?

It's similar to a Caterham, made by a company called Westfiled. They are both based on the 'Lotus 7' platform which is no longer made, but Westfields are cheaper than Caterhams. Caterham is the 'top-end' marque. I couldn't afford even a half-decent second-hand Caterham. Westfields are more of a budget option :)

You're not the only one to call it 'ridiculous'! Cant' think why...

Did you self-build (complete kit? modular kit?) or get it factory-built?

I like the goofy grin on the front of my new Mazda3; I know you can get inserts for the Miata grin that add shiny white teeth, but I don't think there's such a thing for the 3.

Nah, not quite up to that level yet! Bought it fully built. Starting to do bits and pieces on it - replaced thermostat (and attendant fluids), fuel rail, an injector, oil, oil pump belt, brake pads & discs (plus fluid) - that's about my limit at the moment. Getting more confident with it though.