gdf

Life

My car crapped out again! This time it stalled while starting (I park on a hill, so reversing back out was... fun), and I had to pretend I was driving a manual transmission at every red light on the way to the mechanic (or some bastard version of a manual trans - pop it in neutral, carefully balance gas and brake).

Got to the mechanic just as they were about to close, so I won't know what the problem was until tomorrow. I have taken tomorrow off work in preparation for it.

I also called a used car place that's within walking distance of my apartment, because they have a green 2000 Miata out on the lot. Just in case...

Oh crap, thats not good. MIne used to not start every morning for 3 winters. luckily i live at the top of a hill, so it was pretty easy to prepare for takeoff. It had to go when i was crossing at a traffic lights and it just cut out on me. :/

This fucking car, seriously.

Back in May I had the brain replaced (I ARE TECHNICAL TERM USER), then in June it was the starter motor, plus I've had to go into my mechanic twice more since then (once for a funny starting noise that they couldn't duplicate - wanna bet that's related to this - and once for what turned out to be the gas cap not sealing tight, but they also found a nail in the tire). Plus the front splashguard fell off as I was driving back from an oil change 2 weeks ago.

I've dropped $2k on repairs for her in as many months. Really hope this isn't the fuel pump; if it is, I'll have to think about... alternatives.

But... she's the only car I've ever had. She's the car that took me on 1200 mile round trips every other week, when Shammack and I were dating long-distance in college; she's mostly plastic so it doesn't matter that I scrape the front on the wall at work every morning when I park too close; she's got 9 years worth of bumper stickers all over her.

I think I'm Stockholm Syndromed.

Oh, my car got scrapped in the end. i had planned to look out over the city towards the garage when it happened as a slient salute...but i just played LoL all night instead. Shiny new car made me forget it pretty quick (cool features like working breaks, a Compact Diskette player and the whole starting in the morning thing helped).

But... she's the only car I've ever had. She's the car that took me on 1200 mile round trips every other week, when Shammack and I were dating long-distance in college; she's mostly plastic so it doesn't matter that I scrape the front on the wall at work every morning when I park too close; she's got 9 years worth of bumper stickers all over her.

I think I'm Stockholm Syndromed.

I hear you. My own car was purchased second hand off my mom two years ago, so not only was it MY first car, it's also the car that got me to hockey practice when I was twelve, that I banged up running into things at low velocity when I was 15 and learning to drive, etc etc. The girlfriend calls in "the bilgemobile" (in honour of the TV show Mission Hill, at least somewhat) and I know it won't last that much longer, but the thought of its mortality makes me unbelievably sad. Let's hear it for getting way too attached to things that are incapable of loving you back!

I had an Audi 80 sport back when I was a student that we called 'The Bismark' - because she got in so many scrapes, accidents and crashes and she never died. I got road raged by a drunk motorway maintenance guy (he pulled in front of me on an empty motorway and braked hard. I rear ended him @ 50, new bonnet, 80 quid)), T-boned by a fiesta at a junction (entirely my fault, fiesta was a write off, cost me about 50 quid), bonnet flip @ 70 on a B-road coming back from Glasto, an encounter with a roundabout at night, v.tired, at about 40, bent front wishbone (280 quid)... etc. Sold her in the end to an enthusiast. Was a sad day.

Went to Amsterdam yesterday, went to see the Kubrick exhibition, which was pretty cool. Basically a walk through the man's career, starting with his early photography and then his films. They had a whole bunch of original movie props, original scripts with Kubrick's notes, storyboards and projected on the walls selected scenes from his films. After that, the Batman movie marathon, which started at midnight. The Dark Knight Rises didn't start till 6 AM, so now that I'm finally home, I'm pretty fucking tired! Movie was alright. Flawed, but alright.

I've driven the same Mazda for 10+ years. In the last 2 years there have been loads of problems, but nothing too horrible yet. Right now it just has some ominous noises in the <whatever it's called>. But luckily I don't get attached to cars, so I'll be glad once I have some money to get a new one and be rid of it.

Gosh, I've never had any car that long. I'm on my 6th now. It's a combo of lemons, bad drivers, and of course me being a bad driver (not so much these days). I could understand an attachment to things that have done you so well for so long.

Also in neighbors updates, I have now gotten them evicted. Woohoo! Hopefully they don't try to fuck up our place or act like major assholes before they leave.

Good to hear that you managed to get rid of your neighbors from hell.

I'm in the process of moving myself. I managed to find a flat very painlessly, considering that right now the streets are full of students hunting for apartments.

Because I'm overprotective and I've been at home all day worrying (and dreaming about buying a Miata), I called the mechanic rather than waiting for them to call me. They said they could not find anything but are out test-driving it right now and will call when they're done. So!

GOOD NEWS: No expensive problems found

BAD NEWS: No idea why it stalled so interestingly or info about if/when it will do it again; no good excuse to buy that Miata

I channeled my anxiety into making cookies to deliver to my mechanic. Of course, without a car, I'm reliant on them picking me up, whenever that will be; until then (and until they get done with the test-drive and confirm there are no problems) I'm stuck at home.

Also in neighbors updates, I have now gotten them evicted. Woohoo! Hopefully they don't try to fuck up our place or act like major assholes before they leave.

Cool, how'd you manage that? As in, what was the final straw?

Oh my life!. Spy Party beta invite has just arrived! So at the moment, most of my gaming time is being taken up with DayZ (in alpha) and I presume this when I install it later. :partyhat:

I took the Miata round the block. I wasn't blown away, which is sad because the Miata was my dream car. I guess dreams don't always match up to reality.

Is the Miata the US name for the Mazda MX5? They are supposed to be one of the best handling/drivers cars out there.

Oh my life!. Spy Party beta invite has just arrived! So at the moment, most of my gaming time is being taken up with DayZ (in alpha) and I presume this when I install it later. :partyhat:

Damn youuuuu. I want into the SpyParty beta so hard.

Holy crap, I had assumed that thing turned into vapourware.

My stepdad drives one, and I've taken it for a spin a couple of times. It's ok, but given that I'm a 6'3" guy, being as low to the ground as a car like that forces me to be just freaks me out. Can't stand even riding in the passenger seat. I hate to play into the Albertan stereotype, but mostly due to my size I think I'm going to be a truck/SUV driver. My girlfriend just bought a used civic and I can't even ride in that without having my head at a 45 degree angle and still hitting the roof. I love driving my SUV because I fit in it. The Miata/MX-5 is a cute little sports car, and I do kind of envy the convertible thing, but as soon as I actually get in one I don't like it anymore.