gdf

Life

Wait so if my girlfriend donates 1k$ to Idle Thumbs do I get a job at Telltale too?

where's the angry smiley on this new forum thing

Wait so if my girlfriend donates 1k$ to Idle Thumbs do I get a job at Telltale too?

This strikes me as somehow in exceptionally bad taste. :tfart::(

Wasn't meant that way at all! Sorry if I came of harsh. ._.

I know Shammack has been work hard to get a job like this, and I was the first to congratulate him in the other thread, because I know he earned it.

My brain made the connection now, and thought it amusing. My bad. =/

Well, I laughed, and I didn't think it was in bad taste. BUT WHAT DO I KNOW.

Wasn't meant that way at all! Sorry if I came of harsh. ._.

I wanna say, for the record, that Scott put in an initial application with Telltale and started this process before the Thumbstarter. No-one involved with the Thumbstarter interviewed Scotty (as you could tell from Jake's reply in another thread).

I hope that no-one would ever seriously believe that my donating $1k to the Thumbstarter had anything to do with Scott's hiring and that he didn't get this job on the basis of him being a kickass awesome dude who will totally rock cinematic layout artisting.

I think it's safe to say that no one would ever seriously believe that. U:

I wanna say, for the record, that Scott put in an initial application with Telltale and started this process before the Thumbstarter. No-one involved with the Thumbstarter interviewed Scotty (as you could tell from Jake's reply in another thread).

I hope that no-one would ever seriously believe that my donating $1k to the Thumbstarter had anything to do with Scott's hiring and that he didn't get this job on the basis of him being a kickass awesome dude who will totally rock cinematic layout artisting.

So Scotty getting the job at telltale was the reason you donated $1K? :owned:

I'm stunned...you actually gave a $1000 away Subbes?!? I am in the WRONG job man.

Not sure if that's your being stunned that the Thumbs received $1k, or that I had $1k to give aay.

I pledged $1k because I think they're worth it. It is pretty ridiculous now, though - I've paid $1k to have dinner with my husband's coworkers and that guy they know who really likes Starcraft.

I had $1k to give away because I sold 3 or 4 of my fountain pens and moved some money around (then a month after the money was gone, my car needed $1600 worth of repairs, gah). I've always tried to live frugally and save as much money as I can just in case of a rainy day (or for a future purchase - my savings account is titled "New Car Goal 20K" so I know I'm saving towards a goal). That frugality is going to be especially important now that Scott and I will be living on separate sides of the country for a while and we'll be paying rent, utilities etc. on two places.

(I'm worrying about my employability - I'm doing okay here because this is a small market for nerds, but SF is full of nerds - most of whom are more talented than me and will probably be willing to work for free or very cheap.)

(I'm worrying about my employability - I'm doing okay here because this is a small market for nerds, but SF is full of nerds - most of whom are more talented than me and will probably be willing to work for free or very cheap.)

Tangent: I hate looking for work and the prospect of ever having to look for work again makes me quite nervous. I feel very unemployable.

Well I was exaggerating, and I don't think this account can be easily traced to me, but fine, I changed it.

I think it's a common neurosis for many of us.

In other news: I put a bird on it.

GIUP.jpg

Yeah, I just finished a bachelors degree in film theory. I knew it wasn't a good decision employability-wise, but I still feel the Lizard of Regret on my shoulders every once in a while, especially now that I'm tasked with, you know, finding employment.

Yeah, I just finished a bachelors degree in film theory. I knew it wasn't a good decision employability-wise, but I still feel the Lizard of Regret on my shoulders every once in a while, especially now that I'm tasked with, you know, finding employment.

I had this terrible feeling that the moment I changed that avatar it would come into play.

I'm looking for a job, as well. I need one, or I'm going to have to move back in with my parents.

At age 25.

It's frustrating, because all of my friends are getting jobs where they WANT jobs, while I'm sitting here patiently awaiting responses that never come from companies that I don't really even want to work for.

Dude, I AM currently living in with my parents again, age 28. There really are worse things, I found it put things into good perspective and it forces me to embrace change.

Getting jobs is tough, but if you work at it hard and long enough, something will come up. I'm not too fearful of the immediate future. It's the long-term future that is a teeny bit scary: will I be able to get a mortgage, will I be able to pay it off, will I live my whole life in financial bondage? It's a brave new world we live in, especially since the old systems of economy are failing and we'll have to figure out a new way of living. In the resultant shuffle, I hope our generation doesn't get lost.

Well, to be perfectly honest, the thing that bothers me most about the prospect isn't the quote-unquote shame of living with my parents. It's the idea that I'll have to live with my parents again. I love living on my own (or with friends! roommates are cool). The couple times I had to go back to living with them for brief periods in between school were some of the most depressing times of my life. It just makes me so miserable.

On the other hand, another thing that makes me miserable is having to ask my parents for money, and then they ask my grandparents for money. That's happened way too many times over the past few years as I finish up school. I'm so sick of having to depend on them. They're not in the best situation, financially.

Also, a company contacted me today and I have a phone interview on Monday! It is not my top choice, but it should still at least be interesting, and will get me much-needed job experience! And if I'm lucky, it'll be one of those game companies that allows me to make my own games in my free time, provided said games don't directly compete with what they make. But let's not get ahead of things, here. It's still just a phone interview. X:

Thanks! I hope it goes well, 'cause nothin' else is happening, job-wise.

Also it's in San Francisco, which is a place I'd like to try living.

I'm looking for a job, as well. I need one, or I'm going to have to move back in with my parents.

At age 25.

I know quite a few people who are having to do just that in their twenties. No shame in it, though I understand how awkward it is at home. I once had a parent move in after three years living elsewhere, when I was about 18, and with an intermission of that much growing up at that age, it made the relationship all kinds of awkward.

It's just a mark of the recessions/depression we're in, and also of the housing market. Nearly anyone I know wanting to buy their first house in the UK is having to move in with parents to save up the deposit.

It's also a fairly clever idea to make a family more resistant to economic shocks. Sometimes, I wish I still had the option.