gdf

Life

Heh. Nah, I'm not being an attention whore; it's just that I'm 23 now and I feel like my life is going nowhere. I'm wondering if feeling worried about that is fair with all the good stuff happening.

Congratulations, you're now an adult in the modern western civilization.

Last week, I finally got the chance to hang out with another Thumb I've known and gamed with for a long time--the splendid ysbreker! :tup:

Already one of this year's highlights.

it's just that I'm 23 now and I feel like my life is going nowhere. I'm wondering if feeling worried about that is fair with all the good stuff happening.

As I said earlier, you only get one chance at this life so just enjoy it as much as possible and do what makes you happy. I have the idea that some people get wrapped up in what they think they should be doing based on what is considered normal in society. I'm not a fan of that view. Sure you should work towards goals, essentially you don't have a choice in that with the world we live in. Ss long as you're not hurting anyone and can take care of the people you care about then I think you should do whatever makes you happy.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and birthday wishes. I've thought a lot about what you all said.

And I gamed Legend of Grimrock for 15 minutes before I got mauled to death by a mutant mushroom.

I have the idea that some people get wrapped up in what they think they should be doing based on what is considered normal in society. I'm not a fan of that view.

Me either, and I see where you're coming from. My principal worry last night was that I realized that I wasn't at the point of my life where I wanted to be - working within a certain company and doing wonderful things - because of unforeseen circumstances, and that made me panic a bit. It was an issue of wanting to be somewhere, but being in a different place.

Thanks for the advice, though. It's pretty solid.

I had my quarter-life crisis at 24-25, so you're probably a little bit early for it and very early for a midlife crisis (unless you're intending to buy a sports car now?).

I bought a new shampoo today and after using it, my head smells like beef jerky, gammon, or some other delicious smoked meat product. I'm shut in the bedroom hiding from the cats because earlier they were making very hungry noises and no fucking joke they will probably try to eat me.

they will probably try to eat me.

I'm pretty sure that's one of the requirements for cat-lady-hood?

obvious jokes

I had my quarter-life crisis at 24-25, so you're probably a little bit early for it and very early for a midlife crisis (unless you're intending to buy a sports car now?).

I've always had slightly faster than normal cars, and just bought a faster one. Mid 30s - does this mean I've been suffering from a mid-life crisis my whole life? :deranged:

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and birthday wishes. I've thought a lot about what you all said.

[…]

It was an issue of wanting to be somewhere, but being in a different place.

Sorry I missed that. I had crushing anxiety just before my 25th birthday, but woke up that morning, felt fine, and realised the number of times I'd been around the sun didn't matter as long as I was working toward what I wanted and trying to be a good person.

When it comes to large aspirations that involve your entire circumstances though, striving and grieving are a strange thing, and can subtly dog you for months while your life drifts in slightly the wrong direction. Birthdays seem to be the most likely place-markers to drag those emotions up.

I've always had slightly faster than normal cars, and just bought a faster one. Mid 30s - does this mean I've been suffering from a mid-life crisis my whole life? :deranged:

Yes. Now send your Caterham 7* to me.

* or comparable vehicle

My cat was wandering down a hallway and kind of flinched and started howling and wigging out.

Had to take him to a vet in the middle of the night, it was so bad.

Apparently he somehow messed up a disc in his spine and needs to be kept still for like six weeks to try and help it heal.

God, i've never seen a pet of mine freak out like that, just screeching and staring at me with crazy eyes like i'm supposed to fix what's wrong.

He seems fine for now, but is still in a real bad way. He can barely walk, and it obviously pains him to do so, and the vet thinks he doesn't have any feeling in his hind legs. At some point i'm going to have to make a real hard decision based on how much he's recovered.

Also, vets are really expensive.

What a shitty couple of days.

Oh man, that's shit. I'm so sorry to hear that Sno. Aurelius fucked up his leg pretty badly in a fall last year and it was a shit time, both in terms of him being hurt and how incredibly annoying it is to tend to a sick cat.

Having pets get sick or injured is the worst. I hope he gets better!

That's shitty, I'm sorry. One of ours is in a cone because he has stitches and it's just heartbreaking to see him so depressed; I can only imagine the pain you must be going through, especially since you're going to be dealing with the end-of-life question.

(SAD FACE.)

(OFFERS HUG.)

That sucks. I got a text message from my mum a couple of weeks ago telling me that the dog I got for my thirteenth birthday (who is now 14 and living in British Columbia with her) had a really bad stroke. Similar decision coming up on that front, so I feel your pain man. I am a very big cat and dog person, and even hearing about that stuff is brutal for me. Many sympathies, man.

My cat has been doing much better, doesn't seem to be in any serious pain right now.

He's supposed to be kept confined so he stays still and rests, give him time for scar tissue to form around the injury or something, so the thing I'm mostly worried about right now is a bored cat.

He strains a lot to pick himself up when he needs to walk over to his litter box, and he keeps tripping over himself and kind of just flopping down on his side. He's definitely not really able to track where his hind legs are going, but at least he's able to walk.

He's a Maine Coon cross, if anybody is curious. A big orange one. Looks like a tiny Lion; is adorable. Maybe I'll post pictures if anybody wants to see. (Is there a thread for pet pictures?)

Good news :tup: : Went to a video game quiz, won, went home with Max Payne 3.

Bad news :tdown: : Tomorrow I have my exam in introductory IT/programming (Python). I've enjoyed the course, because I enjoy the trial and error of making it work the way it's supposed to, like a puzzle game. HOWEVER, since this school is stuck in the stone ages, you have to do the programming... WITH PEN AND PAPER.

I feel very unprepared, I just have to spend the night reading about the core functions they want us to employ, and hope that I don't mess up the order or syntax. =/ Also also, they tend to reuse the assignments and questions used for the people starting IT or engineering degrees, which sometimes include math way out of my wheelhouse (I study film theory).

Bad news :tdown: : Tomorrow I have my exam in introductory IT/programming (Python). I've enjoyed the course, because I enjoy the trial and error of making it work the way it's supposed to, like a puzzle game. HOWEVER, since this school is stuck in the stone ages, you have to do the programming... WITH PEN AND PAPER.

Ahh.. I had pen and paper programming exams in Java and C. Not optimal but manageable, and luckily only 50% or so of the grade.

Good luck with the exam! Remember to bring crayons for syntax highlighting.

Nice! I remember him wanting something within games, is it that, or more TV/movie stuff?

Me and my friends just got propositioned by a polish guy who wanted the relations with the people with the tongue in the anal. I wish you could all see the actions that went along with this , most especially the in the anal bit.

I guess the lesson is don't hang around on doorsteps late at night.

relations with the people with the tongue in the anal

:eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

:gaming::innocent: