gdf

Life

PS, I left a very negative review on various sites about the first webshop and somebody from customer care of the parent company contacted me. They're offering me 20 euros discount on my next purchase. I think I'll take it to get the normal ME3 version of 17 euros. But still a shitty action to deny me my CE version, now I don't have the complete set :/

FFS... so I accepted the 20 euros discount and requested ME3, in the beginning of the week. So I told them the delivery address and they were going to come back to me with a link to pay the remaining 17 euros.

Today I received a response that they are out of stock of the regular ME3 version and it'll take a while before they get new stock.

Seriously, wtf... Am I not allowed to play ME3 or something?

Say, would anyone of you happen to know when and why British people stopped identifying themselves by their tribes and these peoples simply became "Brits"?

'Tis a rather random question, but on the off-chance that someone knows about these things or knows someone who knows these things. It'd be really helpful!

I would guess: Successive invasions and consolidation of the monarchy caused them to gradually be absorbed into other power structures.

Well, I'm not sure they became 'Brits' directly after that. Just above the Iceni in that map became the kingdom of Mercia for a while, and that was at odds with the SE of the country (where the first 'kings' declared themselves I think), and identified themselves as 'Mercians'.

Anyway. What Nachimir said.:blink:

I just submitted my very last homework assignment for the year! Everything is awesome right now! I'm going to a friend's house tonight for a night of board/video games and beer that we have actively planned to go until about 6 tomorrow morning, at which point we will begin making a giant hangover pancake breakfast! Also, I have a week off now before my practicum! I'm working every day of it except for tomorrow, but my new job is pretty ok, so that's fine. Plus, I'm off around 1pm each day, so afternoons and evenings are mine.

...things are looking up right now, which is kind of a new thing after this past year spent its time repeatedly kicking me in the balls. I feel good.

To those of you who may have wondered, upon hearing or witnessing someones nose interacting with milk in any fashion;

It is horrible and unpleasant. Avoid at all costs.

Oh it's one of these kinds of threads. Neat.

I just got woken up, pre-maturely, by the phone ringing. It was my boss at the deli telling me not to come in later this morning afterall due to over-scheduling. She does this last-minute change thing pretty frequently and it's annoying to be the target of it.

We don't typically use it that way, but I lacked another place to express my extreme distaste of the experience of almost dying from milk inhalation.

We don't typically use it that way, but I lacked another place to express my extreme distaste of the experience of almost dying from milk inhalation.

I'm lactose intolerant, does that count?

I've recently been experimenting with cold-brewed coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker, but it's getting hot here and I wanted an alternative to fizzy drinks. Cold-brewed coffee is just like it sounds - coffee brewed with cold water, not hot, so it doesn't get so bitter due to temperature changes.

Let me tell you, Vietnamese iced coffee - made using sweetened condensed milk - is amazing.

Let me tell you, Vietnamese iced coffee - made using sweetened condensed milk - is amazing.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I'm too kitchen/food/coffee stupid to make these drinks as amazing as they are at the restaurants.

But yeah, amazing, a must order with any Vietnamese plate!

If I can make cold-brewed coffee, so can you!

COLD-BREWED COFFEE

1. Get glass jar with tight fitting lid.
  2. Place a generous portion of ground coffee into jar. If you're the experimenting type, try chicory (Cafe Du Monde).
  3. Add cold filtered water, stirring gently to make sure the grounds get wet.
  4. Screw lid on jar. If you didn't get all the grounds wet in the step above, you can give the jar a little shake.
  5. Pop in fridge for 12-18 hours. Recommended: go to bed in the interim.
  6. Strain off coffee concentrate. Use the coffee grounds for whatever you use them for, who knows.
  7. The last bit you strain off will have smaller grounds in it (almost a sludge). You can either strain again through a finer mesh, or allow it to sit until the finer grounds settle out before pouring off the concentrate.

Recipe adapted from this NYTimes version.

I haven't followed this advice on Cafe Sữa Đá yet.

I'm not much of a coffee person, I only drink one in the morning, but I usually don't like it cold. Does cold-brewed coffee taste significantly better than cold hot-brewed coffee?

Say, would anyone of you happen to know when and why British people stopped identifying themselves by their tribes and these peoples simply became "Brits"?

'Tis a rather random question, but on the off-chance that someone knows about these things or knows someone who knows these things. It'd be really helpful!

That was principally due to the Roman invasion, I believe. Invasion began successfully (previous attempts had failed) in AD 43. Then for about 400 years Britain was part of the Roman Empire. They never managed to conquer some areas though, like Scotland. No-one is sure when the Roman rule ended exactly, but it was early 5th century. The lack of information is the reason for this time being called the 'Dark Ages'. If there was a historical King Arthur, he lived around this time (he was probably a general of Roman descent), which was marked by driving off many Saxon invasions among others, Britain having been left more vulnerable.

Obviously the Britain that the Romans left behind was very different to when they arrived. Although it fragmented into separate Kingdoms again (until the Norman invasion of 1066) these kingdoms were political and tactical rather than tribal.

toddy.jpg

We have one of these and a French press as our primary coffee machines at home. I think we also had a moka pot at some point… but that could've been my old roommate's.

The Toddy is pretty rad. You put half a kg of coarsely ground coffee in it, cover it in water and leave it overnight (there is more of a method but you can read that in the directions). The coffee is super concentrated when you uncork the thing and drain it, but not bitter and it will keep in the fridge for weeks. You can boil some water, throw a couple of gluggs of coffee and milk into it and have yourself a hot one. If you generally sweeten your coffee to nerf the bitterness, you may not even have to do that here.

I usually drink Nespresso®©(z), or at work coffee from one of those automatic "espresso" machine (the consumer version).

Moka-pot coffee is also great, but it's quite a lot of work.

I used to drink regular filter coffee when I was a student and way back when I lived at my parents. But now I prefer high-pressure brewed coffee.

And I drink my coffee with just coffee, none of that weird stuff like milk and sugar. Drinking coffee black makes you really appreciate good coffee much more when you put stuff in it.

Looking for a job in the entertainment/gaming industry at the moment - anywhere in the world, with preference for north-west Europe. If anyone has a lead for a bright writer/community manager/journalist/web editor/wizard, please feel free to PM me! :tup:

My new aeropress arrived this am. It is great.

:tup: I have one (actually two) of those. It's nice.

I recently bought an expensive espresso machine because it was rather cheap. Still experimenting with the grind, tamping, etc.

Have you managed to flip/break a cup while aeropressing?

Nope. It's actually quite hard to achieve that even if it would seem otherwise. I haven't even managed to make a mess with the inverted Aeropress method.

Nope. It's actually quite hard to achieve that even if it would seem otherwise. I haven't even managed to make a mess with the inverted Aeropress method.

Inverted Aeropress really sounds like it should be a wrestling move