gdf

Life

If it helps, I laughed out loud reading that. (I also knew what it was without clicking the spoiler.)

Am I a terrible person?

Only as bad as me.

(Also, yes, I do think it's hilarious. Not the subject matter, but subverting expectations etc etc)

Oh man, Speedy. Haha. I don't blame her for being scared.

Man, that's like the perfect opening for conversation. At that point, you can go no lower, and might as well roll with it.

Nah, I know this dudette. We hang sometimes; she even doodles in my notebook and scribbles misspelled lyrics to terrible songs. I feel like I'm 14 again. It's still embarrassing though. I'll go say hi tomorrow and see how she reacts.

says the guy without a hope in the world

Make yourself a catch, and you won't even need to hope.

Thompson, holy shit dude. It's amazing to me that bullying could go so far, and cause so much damage. I'll never bully anyone again. What a fucked up education system! And how you'll look back and realise those guys were total morons, who didn't know what they were doing. Very glad to hear that you're doing better now. A growing self-confidence is a wonderful thing!

* - Kidding, I've never bullied anyone.

Haha, Speedy, I laughed out loud at your post too. That was smooth, bro, real smooth.

I don't have an awkward anecdote in mind right now, but I was doing a crossword with a girl recently and the clue was "religious official". Without a heartbeat's pause she shouts "Pope!" I simply turn and stare at her for a second as I try to come up with a response. She looks to me during the pause and explains, "He's as official as you get!"

So now I'm more irked by my date not responding to my texts. She was keen as mustard, and now she's using silence to day, "Sorry, I've changed my mind"? Pretty lame!

Ah, poop.

Don't text any more, go play video games. Saves face, works. :)

Lol. Don't worry, I wasn't hassling her! It was just two texts. One said, "No problem. When are you next free?", quickly followed by "Ooh. How about X?"*. It was almost one text, but in order to be technically correct, I said "texts".

* - Paraphrased**

** - And by "paraphrased" I mean I removed all the poetry about undying love.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

I upgraded my videocard to a 560GTX and I just put in my new RAM, which is 4x 4GB. Everything runs so smoothly, it's great! :woohoo:

Previously my box contained a GTX260 and 2x 2GB o' RAMs.

Ahh, but it's funny. You'd want a girl who finds that funny, surely? :P

If we're giving anecdotes from our days though, here's one from yesterday.

Walking back to town with a girl from my lecture (not one I'm sexually interested in, hurrah for me!) and she said something along the lines of "You could always buy me some chocolate." (joke)

I reply: "Well, there's a large range of things I COULD do, but there are an awful lot of them I don't plan on doing."

"Like what?"

"Well, killing you for example."

Her face went white and shocked.

"Oh, that's not that bad. My first thought was worse, be glad I didn't say that one out loud."

"What could be worse than killing?"

"I don't know,

rape?

"

Yeah, I don't know why I allow myself to talk sometimes.

This is basically the reason I've ended up with about twenty close friends over the years. I'm crazy, and don't really bother to reign it in when speaking. Though I am careful about speaking on FPS games in public places, because holy shit the TSA gets touchy about that.

This is basically the reason I've ended up with about twenty close friends over the years. I'm crazy, and don't really bother to reign it in when speaking. Though I am careful about speaking on FPS games in public places, because holy shit the TSA gets touchy about that.

Yeah it definitely tends to scare off some people when I'm stupidly vulgar and offensive, but... that's who I am. I'd rather scare those people off early than get close to them, only to upset them later and ruin a friendship that never really had a chance.

Or something like that.

I used to be ridiculously shy, too, so NO ONE ever knew how I really thought. Not anymore! Yay, growing up.

I'm sitting on the sofa, even with the heating blasting away it's cold, I've got a blanket wrapped around me and boy, could I use a Wizard Snuggie right now! the wizaaaaaard

Ah, she just texted. Will probably be seeing her tonight at the venue we originally met at. So there you go.

So have we learnt a little lesson here today?

What is that show? I have a lot of the vinyl toys on his desk, embarrassingly enough.

He also has a Jim Woodring poster.

It's the rather fantastic IT Crowd.

So have we learnt a little lesson here today?

She then texted to say she couldn't make tonight, but hopefully I'd see her at next week's event -- NO MENTION OF OUR DATE.

So she's basically talked herself out of it, or something has changed.

Lesson edit: she seems to have

It's not a huge deal. Twas just a chance encounter that went well. It's just that I don't have a huge amount of other stuff going on.

So I feel weird when I write in English, I know to many phrases and colloquial expressions for my own good. When I type I often have a clear idea of what I want to say but can't always find the proper words to express myself, instead I resort to using one of these things I've picked up which often are too broad but sound eloquent.

Basically, I want more exactness in my writing. Any ideas of how I can improve?

I want more exactness in my writing. Any ideas of how I can improve?

Step 1. Don't post in the "Life" thread asking for advice on how to improve your writing.

I keeed! I keeed!

But seriously, this might be better in a whole thread of its own, as I imagine lots of non-native speakers here might have some advice? (Or not, I have no idea.) I can't give you any tips, I'm afraid, but I imagine watching English language films/reading English language books probably helps?

You seem pretty capable so far :tup:

Step 1. Don't post in the "Life" thread asking for advice on how to improve your writing.

I keeed! I keeed!

Right, I actually felt silly posting here since this really isn't very existential.

I can't give you any tips, I'm afraid, but I imagine watching English language films/reading English language books probably helps?

Actually I pretty much only read/listen to/watch English art/media/x but I think I have plateaued a bit. I think I might have to move into an environment where English dominates to learn more and become more fluent, I'm not sure though.

And I'm not sure if this is threadworthy, just something I thought people here might be able to help with.

Where are you based at the moment? You're probably right, though, the next step would probably to be surrounded by it.

Scandinavia, Cumbria does sounds appealing though.

Basically, I want more exactness in my writing. Any ideas of how I can improve?

I used to be in a predominantly English and American Unreal mapping community with a German guy who wanted the same thing. He became very involved with the forum, but asked everyone to persistently correct his grammar, to the extent of putting a request in his sig to the effect of "Please correct me, I won't be offended. It's the only way I'll get better and that's what I want".

People feel weird doing that, as if they're going to offend. Especially English people. After a few years though, he'd worked out so many grammatical bugs and felt his way around so many colloquialisms that his English writing seemed pretty much perfect.

As Thunderpeel said, you're very capable already. I suppose your problem might be a bit more complex, in that you already put things eloquently, but they don't necessarily mean what you want them to.

There's a weird balance between eloquence and simplicity that needs to be struck. I've heard that one of the hardest parts of teaching English as a second language is finding that balance; it's pretty hard to explain to somebody why an essay is over-written.

I guess the only way to do it is for people to let you know what sounds right and wrong. That'll be a long term process.

That being said, your English is already far better than that of plenty of people I know. :tup:

:barf: "I done that already."