gdf

Life

Thanks guys. I know what you're saying is right; I just happen to be a stupid bloody romantic. The logical part of my brain knows what I need to do though, and it's getting done slowly. :)

Sadly it doesn't actually have anything to do with being a romantic, and more with being a teenager full of hormones. But that is ok because you'll grow out of it. Godspeed Speedy :)

But for journal, read "The Idle Thumbs Life Thread". You're starting to sound like Tanu, ferchrissakes.

I'm a bad person for cackling at this. I think it's time for a nap.

My problem is that I sit at home and fap all day. What should *I* do?

Go outside and fap! Fresh air will do you good.

Sadly it doesn't actually have anything to do with being a romantic, and more with being a teenager full of hormones. But that is ok because you'll grow out of it. Godspeed Speedy :)

I'd better. Because this here? This right now? It sucks major balls. :P

Okay, okay, all right there, okay now. How about you leave the complaining to grown men who can't find a job and are stuck in a housing market with zero mobility. All right? GROWN MEN PROBLEMS.

:grin:

On the subject of "growing the hell up", I'm three minutes away from leaving the house to finally take my road test after having only my learner's permit for over 7 years. I'll be 24 on Monday, and still don't have my damn driver's license due to scaring myself away from driving by crashing my mum's car when I was 16. Hopefully by the end of the day I'll have remedied that. Kinda freaked out, but dammit I really can't deal with 2 hours of transit every morning to get to my student teaching position next term. I did that in October and the sleep deprivation nearly killed me. That extra hour I'd get from driving in will make a huge difference.

Okay, okay, all right there, okay now. How about you leave the complaining to grown men who can't find a job and are stuck in a housing market with zero mobility. All right? GROWN MEN PROBLEMS.

:grin:

No because joblessness problems are less entertaining and not as easy to solve. Grown man love problems are fun though!

So, Rodi, wanna talk about your love problems?? :yep:

So, Rodi, wanna talk about your love problems?? :yep:

I have earlier this year exhaustively discussed my love problems with your spouse, Salvador :) No need to spill them here at this point, I'm sure he'll be happy to spill the beans at the dinner table.

As for the job problem, that'll change hopefully Q1 2012. The housing problem is far more annoying though. I'm thinking of crowdsourcing the problem. Anyone have cheap and quiet independent housing available in the Arnhem region?

Miffy: go get that driver's license! I've yet to get mine, but I plan to next year. I hear driving is actually a lot of fun, so I look forward to do it.

On the subject of "growing the hell up", I'm three minutes away from leaving the house to finally take my road test after having only my learner's permit for over 7 years. I'll be 24 on Monday, and still don't have my damn driver's license due to scaring myself away from driving by crashing my mum's car when I was 16. Hopefully by the end of the day I'll have remedied that. Kinda freaked out, but dammit I really can't deal with 2 hours of transit every morning to get to my student teaching position next term. I did that in October and the sleep deprivation nearly killed me. That extra hour I'd get from driving in will make a huge difference.

Oh man Miffy, I know your pain. I have a drivers license and have had it since I was eligible, but fuck if I drive anywhere with it. There was a flatbed trailer a few cars in front us when I was a kid, one of the ones that insist on piling gigantic pipes in a triangle stack. Something somewhere failed and three cars got flattened so I don't like freeways anymore. ;(

One Saturday about four years ago I didn't hear the driving instructor ring the doorbell. I missed that lesson and never got around to arranging another one. I am organized.

I have earlier this year exhaustively discussed my love problems with your spouse, Salvador :) No need to spill them here at this point, I'm sure he'll be happy to spill the beans at the dinner table.

Is that a permission or an instruction?

Is that a permission or an instruction?

Haha, I don't see the harm in it, as long as Sal doesn't remarry and then tell it to her new spouse, then he (or she!) remarries and tells it to their new hubby, etc etc until the whole world knows. Honestly, I'm shocked that someone would be interested in my boring shit in the first place.

Miffy, congrats!

(IS VERY GLAD SHE IS AT LEAST HALF A CONTINENT AWAY FROM ALL THESE NEW DRIVERS.)

Actually on the subject of driving, I signed up for one of those invasive "tracks your driving patterns" gizmos in order to reduce my insurance cost. Because I drive well (i.e. not between 11pm and 5AM, not for long distances, and without sudden braking) I earned a 1/3 discount on my already cheap car insurance.

Joke's on them, though - I only drive like an old person because my car is such a shitbox that it can't handle anything fun.

P.S. I am well aware i never posted pictures of my pens in this thread. I consider it a blessing to you all that I abstained.

P.S. I am well aware i never posted pictures of my pens in this thread. I consider it a blessing to you all that I abstained.

For a moment there, this went horribly wrong. Then I remembered.

The alternative reading of my comment is available for a small fee.

Here's an ethical question I'd like your opinions on... When you have kids (should you ever have them) are you going to Santa or Not to Santa? What will you do?

Is it best to lie and let them enjoy it? Or is it best to tell them the truth and not give them a distorted view of reality?

Actual parents may also apply.

My ideas are pretty simple if I ever have kids. There's no Santa, no Toothfairy, none of that kind of crap. I'll introduce them to religion and let them make their own choice. The moment they can understand the laws of the universe they'll be taught to them.

Santa is tricky because they'll have a class full of cohorts who will likely be all about the Santa stuff, so you don't want them spoiling things for their friends. I was raised by an atheist father and undecided mother and still got presents from Santa. I think if it's approached in the right way, it can be a pretty wonderful thing for a kid to have. I would be much more likely to leave Jesus out of the holidays as opposed to Santa. As far as I'm concerned, Santa can come to any kid, Christian or not, and Christmas will be recognized as a really good time to watch cheesy TV specials (you will need to pry my "Muppet Christmas Carol" DVD from my stiff, dead fingers) and get together with family, that's about it. How I'm going to handle Santa in the future has been on my mind a bit lately as in not-too-much time, I'll be teaching a class somewhere in the age range of 4 - 12 years old and need to tread lightly around the subject. With my own kids, I respect my mom for the answer she gave when I was 10 and went up to her and asked if Santa was real: "You really want to know?" That told me all it needed to, and I appreciated that she played along to the point where I flat-out asked her. I will likely do the same with my own kids in the future.

I'd think that telling kids that Santa is real could actually do wonders for their imagination. It also allows them to share with the other kids the experience of waiting each Christmas for this benevolent, all-knowing being, and later the realization of being lied to by your parents for years. I haven't heard anyone being seriously traumatized upon finding out that Santa is not real, either.

Last but not least, lying to kids is super-fun! Those poor bastards will believe practically anything you tell them.