gdf

Life

I plan on visiting the UK in the next couple of months, I could probably smuggle you folks some chocolate pretzels. Which have always seemed like a disgusting idea, but I may have to try them. I hated the idea of chocolate raisins until I tried them, maybe I'm just stodgy.

I'll take 400 packs, please.

Whereabouts are you visiting, Mr Orv?

I'll take 400 packs, please.

Whereabouts are you visiting, Mr Orv?

A short trip in France for a...graveyard. (Now I'll be all mopey today.) Then a couple people in London and Manchester. Need to get a new picture of Stonehenge so I'll swing by there on my way north to punch someone in the face in the Lowlands. I had actually already had most of this planned about by the time I thought about "Oh no, I could visit a bunch of Thumbs!" so I can't promise I'll be by any of you fine people, but I can look into it.

This is all provided my back stops being a complete arse by the time I want to go, which is currently up in the air, because a 14 hour (or whatever it is these days) flight would absolutely ruin me.

This is my top tip for anyone flying to or from London to LA -- Fly Air New Zealand and pay extra for Premium Economy. If you're flying this journey, don't even think about it. Just do it, and thank me later.

If you make it to La Manc, I will try to make it up to see ya, as I'm only 3/4 hr away. Failing that, if you're in London, there's a chance I may be. Outside one that though.

In other news, the Westfield has been a learning experience. The day after I brought it back, was a grand day - drove it solidly, scaring the wife, plus exciting other passengers. Then it started acting up - a chap 2 miles from me up the road has been immeasurably helpful. He has the software, the know how, the tools etc. etc. Anyway, most problems sorted, ECU fixed, plug leads replaced, plugs replaced, thermostat replaced, coolant flushed and replaced, exhaust packed and repaired... ready to go (I think!) :). Today I did the thermostat and exhaust on my own(!) Learning loads! :tup:

Here's a video of the first day out in it. Fingers crossed there will be many more :tup:

http://vimeo.com/30610313

Thunderpeel, please tell me about what Premium Economy is. I'd like to know if it's comparable to KLM / Air France's Economy Plus seats.

Thunderpeel, please tell me about what Premium Economy is. I'd like to know if it's comparable to KLM / Air France's Economy Plus seats.

Premium Economy is something run by a lot of airlines. It's usually just slightly bigger Economy-style seats for 60% to 80% more money. (Which I'm guessing it's the same as the "Economy Plus" you mention?)

On Air New Zealand, however, instead of slightly bigger economy seats, it's this...

attachment.php?attachmentid=768&stc=1&d=1323045897

In other words, if you're travelling from London to LA (or, indeed Auckland), it's definitely worth the money. Not only that, but the service, even in Economy, is the best service I've ever experienced on a plane. Super friendly staff, good food, just great service all round.

I love Air New Zealand. They rock.

post-94-13375603473248_thumb.jpg

On Air New Zealand, however, instead of slightly bigger economy seats, it's this...

attachment.php?attachmentid=768&stc=1&d=1323045897

Alright, wow, thanks for that tip. Those certainly seem less likely to make me weep and moan the whole way.

Alright, wow, thanks for that tip. Those certainly seem less likely to make me weep and moan the whole way.

As I said: "If you're flying this journey, don't even think about it. Just do it, and thank me later." Best. Flight . Ever. (Although I've never flown Business or First.)

As I said: "If you're flying this journey, don't even think about it. Just do it, and thank me later." Best. Flight . Ever. (Although I've never flown Business or First.)

wait what are those seats jesus. How much did that cost?

wait what are those seats jesus. How much did that cost?

Well, I wasn't paying for the seat, I was paying to travel 6,000 miles, but Flying Premium Economy cost me 80% more than flying Economy. To me, as someone who hates flying (but only because I hate being cooked up in a tiny space for 11 hours -- I get bored -- and I get horrible jetlag), it was well worth the money to have some comfort... And, wow, what a difference! I couldn't believe it.

To put it into perspective, flying Business Class would have cost 700% more than Economy... So Premium Economy was definitely worth the money, if you ask me.

Economy: £500GBP

Premium Economy: £900GBP

Business Premier: £4000GBP

Not to mention the fact that it actually cost me more than £900GBP to fly plain old Economy the previous year! (Don't fly in July, folks!)

If you can't afford to pay more than Economy, I'd still recommend Air New Zealand. It was the best Economy I'd ever flown, too. Seats where as small as anywhere else, but the incredibly friendly service, good movie selection, and general ambiance, definitely made it better than other airlines I've flown.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Next week I'm going to embark on what is most likely going to be the longest airplane journey I will ever embark on (Norway—Thailand—Australia (and, theoretically, back again)). I seriously cannot imagine how I am going to survive. After twenty minutes of being trapped in a cramped airplane seat, I will be literally clawing at the window, longing for the painful death of explosive decompression.

A short trip in France for a...graveyard. (Now I'll be all mopey today.) Then a couple people in London and Manchester. Need to get a new picture of Stonehenge so I'll swing by there on my way north to punch someone in the face in the Lowlands. I had actually already had most of this planned about by the time I thought about "Oh no, I could visit a bunch of Thumbs!" so I can't promise I'll be by any of you fine people, but I can look into it.

This is all provided my back stops being a complete arse by the time I want to go, which is currently up in the air, because a 14 hour (or whatever it is these days) flight would absolutely ruin me.

I live in Manchester again, just saying.

I'd second the recommendation for premium economy. I flew London to San Francisco twice, once standard and once premium economy. The latter, on Virgin Airlines, was ludicrously comfortable compared to standard seats, and Air NZ looks even better.

AF has a Premium Economy offering that's better than the E+/PE offering on the US carriers. My rec is to check SeatGuru and pay attention to the seat pitch numbers.

I have spent $120 on pens in the past few days.

I am a terrible human being.

I am a terrible human being.

I think this depends on two things;

1. What kind of pens?

2. What are they for? (Other than writing.)

Fountain pens. Gorgeous antique fountain pens.

(NO, NOT MONT BLANC. EURGH.)

I feel as if we're getting a rare glimpse into a weird, extremely specialized world of fountain pen aficionados engaged in bitter rivalries and brand wars, simmering throughout the internet in hidden places.

Here's one from a seller (this $35 60-year-old pen is still stuck in the mail). I shall post a complete picture of my collection next week (they're scattered between work and home).

Montblancs are for business guys who want something "executive" and know nothing about real quality; their pens are overpriced IMO.

(Actual MB collectors may disagree. MB do make good ink.)

The fountain pen world does have its interesting little personalities, and there are definite rivalries.

For example: Nathan Tardiff of Noodler's, the one-man-ink company with the largest selection of colours, is disturbingly strong about his Tea Party support and has released some inks related to that - #41 Brown, about Sen. Brown of Mass; Bernanke quick-drying ink "the ink Ben Bernanke needs to sign all the new money he's printing;" also once sent a fountain pen and bottle of ink only visible under UV light to the Chinese with a note that they should use it to write critical comments in the margins of the original Little Red Book. But daaaaaaaaaaamn he makes good ink.

post-2535-13375603473796_thumb.jpg

Edited by subbes

Took Westie out today - first time since it was broken and been fettled. Bit chilly, but lovely sunshine. Fucking mint. Roads were a bit greasy, wheels were spinning in 3rd under hard acceleration, making the vehicle snake down the road a little. Exciting and no mistake!

Well, I'm off to Australia and won't be back until next year. Hopefully I've packed all the right things and won't be put in Australian jail for trying to smuggle in Norwegian dirt. Have a merry Christmas and happy New Year.