gdf

Life

Just want to make sure we are on the same page:

Mine is like this:

gestures-on-macbook-pro.jpg

I used to have one with a button below (but topographically above). Tapping to click is what I hate, but having an affirmative click that I can feel and hear all over the touchpad is great. I understand your feelings about this are the other way around?

Those one-piece touchpads on the MBP are made of glass, and I have an irrational fear of accidentally smashing it and slashing my hand to bits.

Just got today message from the IM department that I'm finally getting a replacement laptop at work.

New one will be this beauty:

http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/commercial-laptops/product.php?id=WP884ET&experience=direct

Old one was this:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3960

The new laptop should arrive in two weeks time, can't wait. I've been expecting this replacement since last year already.

Mine is like this:

gestures-on-macbook-pro.jpg

I used to have one with a button below (but topographically above). Tapping to click is what I hate, but having an affirmative click that I can feel and hear all over the touchpad is great. I understand your feelings about this are the other way around?

Then we disagree! But can't you click in the left/right corner for some physical response? I'm pretty sure I can do that on my MBP, will check later.

(TESTS TAPPING ALL OVER HER TOUCHPAD.*)

The top edges (i.e. the parts closer to the keyboard) don't click. Everything beyond the first inch or so has a physical movement and click.

THIS IS NOT

A SEXUAL

REFERENCE.

I just finished my first week of teacher's college. It's quite interesting so far, but I think I've had a total of 20 hours of sleep since Saturday. Unfortunately, due to a postal strike this summer, my police background check didn't get underway until about 2 weeks ago, which I'm hoping doesn't interfere with my practicum/in-class time come late October. I just dropped about $600 on books, hopefully (unlike when I was a psychology major) I will actually use them. So far it's promising, but I'm also putting far more effort into actually doing my assigned stuff than back in the day. Amazing what a difference actually caring about what you're studying makes. I anticipate my gaming/sleeping/anything other than school and work time will fall off rather sharply in the coming months, but am excited nonetheless. Really looking forward to catching a bit of sleep this weekend though.

Sounds like an opportunity to pick up a stimulant habit.

Also if you've not already, I recommend reading Pedagogy of the Oppressed. Especially because Arizona's Sec'y of Education objects to it.

Just found out an internet not-quite-chum-but-a-bit-more-than-acquaintance died on the 12th. He was the same age as me.

This is not cool. :tdown:

Sorry to hear that, subbes. It's pretty awful when people of your own age die, and I think many of us worry about the people we know through the internet suddenly disappearing as well.

Hope you're ok.

I'm sorry for your loss subbes...

As an update to my situation, yesterday my sister and her husband tried to convince my father that his idea was too risky, but he's too stubborn and there is just no way out of it, the store will open, but at least it might be my store?

Nobody even seemed to want to mention my anxiety attack, the weirdest part is that my sister told me later that she said she had a few and yet... she seemed a bit unsympathetic? Frankly, I'm beginning to think nobody in my family knows how to show sympathy even if they wanted to.

I've also found out that my parents really do want me to live and work for them forever... They own the apartment upstairs and are renting it, but they say it will be mine eventually, I really don't want a future that's living and working right next to my parents, but at the same time, I'd be fool to turn down at least the house offer?

I've only found two companies that help people who have trouble finding jobs or knowing which job they want, but one of is the Employment office which won't help me while I'm employed and I'll be calling the other later today?

I've resorted to looking and writing down every company name I see on a worker or van, because I've lost faith in the "conventional methods", I spent a few hours looking at job sites and most of the offers I clicked on just redirected me to a another job sites or a site that offer courses that "guarantee" that you'll get a job later...

New apartment, lots of small problems, some are already fixed and some are not. I spent a lot of time last week to renovate and paint the rooms with the master himself.

Guest room is so much filled with old crap and boxes and bags that I almost can't even fit in to check what is there.

Previous owner promised to fix two pipe problems, but didn't. Well those are for the caretaker plumber to fix. At least that will be "free".

All new living room furnitures are still on the way and should arrive in two weeks time. For now we are sitting on the floor.

Now my dilemma is that what is better for a big living room in this age we are living in, a new big tv or a projector? Projector needs some special arrangements and tv pisses me off because they don't sell good non-3d tv's anymore with cheap prices, now everywhere it's just 3d this and 3d that for +2000€. I hate 3d with tv sets and movies. For 3DS it's ok.

Also my dvd home theater set broke down before the move, the repair shop said today that it will cost 150€ to fix it so seems I have to buy a proper dvd or maybe even a bluray player plus a new home theater as this first one was a cheap Philips set... :(

Seriously? It's already hard to find non-3D TVs in your country? We barely have any HD channels!

Heck, some of our public TV channels look like Sega CD cutscenes!

Can't you look for non-3D TV used? Or in a smaller store "chain"? I don't know if I'm using the right word there though.

I am trying to find a really big tv (50-55 inches, Japanese), but as new I can't seem to find one that doesn't have 3D. We also don't have HD channels here unless you pay a fortune per month to get those.

I don't even watch tv channels so that's why the projector is very interesting, I would mainly use it for tv shows and movies that I have on disc and also games of course.

The regular tv channels look like crap here as well, at least in my area. The bandwidth of the channels is so low that the picture gets pixelated quite often and also looks just overall really bad.

Buying used is a good option always, my friend just bought a good projector for 200€, so if I find something good, that is a very realistic option.

Would I be wrong to assume that a modern projector would still use a bulb? A bulb that has a limited life span and would need to be replaced? Not as often as a normal bulb, but maybe in four years? :erm:

It might be a good investment if you're not going to use it constantly?

Yes, from what I've studied rather in a rather limited way is that the light bulb for projector lasts about 3000 hours. So after a year or so I would have to change it and new ones cost I guess around 100€.

Re: projectors, I got hold of one from my old company that was already a few years old (the 'jector that is) in 2000. I used it loads (as in every day) as my main TV (100" screen anyone back in 2001? :) ) for at least 5 years, but was relegated to cupboard and lending out to friends for music nights in 2006. I turned it on the other day to see if it worked, and it still did. So that's at least 11 years of use out of the bulb that was in it when I acquired it.

In other news, I'm off to see this lovely piece of machinery on sunday: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/detail.asp?i=3199229&sc=ZZO4

Decided to stay in IT security for now then, Scrobbs? :)

--

It's the Eurogamer Expo this week, meaning I'll be on my feet for 12+ hours five days in a row, and dealing alternately with lovely developers, nice average gamers, and the occasional mouth breathing nerd that emits a noxious cloud of pocky crumbs whenever they speak.

Haha! For the moment, yes. Until the end of march, at least. Then we will have the new season and it is very tempting to either take a short term 2 month extension (if offered!) and quitting entirely.

Now my dilemma is that what is better for a big living room in this age we are living in, a new big tv or a projector?

I personally wouldn't buy a projector just because new televisions support 3D. They just seem so impractical to me. Plus, I don't think I could actually arrange my apartment so that I could use the projector at all.

Damn, I just realized my therapist is a social security one, so if my parents do plan on firing me (and still make them work for them at BOTH stores), I'll no longer be able to afford therapy OR medication!

Ffffhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrfhhhhhhhf.

Still can't believe he's dead.

Also, broke my trousers.

(But that hardly seems much of an issue now.)