gdf

Life

Did you investigate how the whistle was being formed? Your last post made it sound like an actual air-breathing-whistle rather than an electronic whistle, and if there's any component in the UPS that can do that, I would be fascinated

No, I haven't investigated it yet. Come to think of it, it could also be the subwoofer. I'm pretty sure it's not my new machine, and the old machine was turned off when I heard that sound again.

The problem is that the sound is really short, and only happens once in a while.

I think it's a capacitor that is going to die some time.

I'm here because there's no where else to go.

Might I suggest the loving embrace of our Lord, Jesus Christ?

Alternatively, Switzerland.

Hell, why not both.

Tanukitsune, that sounds tough. Always a tricky situation when friends and family overlap with work.

I've had experience with anxiety and panic attacks. In a somewhat similar situation, I found them particularly bad during the period I had to move back in with my parents. Although as you point out the culture differs, I can totally relate to that "always being watched" feeling. I definitely recommend you try to find your own space somewhere, probably out of the house - perhaps a café or the library, just somewhere quiet where you can be alone and not feel like someone is suddenly about to check on you.

You are certainly doing the right thing seeing a therapist. For me the anxiety formed a feedback loop with depression, each feeding off the other. The most important thing is get out of those kind of vicious cycles (which you are starting to experience, being anxious about the anxiety).

You say you have spoken to your parents about your doubts, which is good - communication is going to be really important here. Is there any way you can compromise with them? Maybe go halves on the investment? Perhaps do some solid market research, show them real numbers from the local businesses and the kinds of footfall and passing trade you can expect.

As for the future - the one thing about life is that it is unpredictable. Meet new people, find out stuff and all sorts of unexpected opportunities can turn up.

Anyway, you seem to have your head screwed on pretty straight. Have confidence in your own intelligence and creativity.

I haven't talked to them since, they left for their parent's village for the long weekend holidays, it's the towns festivities here, but I've been given ideas like

having them "fire" me, so they don't have to pay my salary and either just pay my Social Security or some minimal for just helping around at the store.

But I should really convince them to have the store to their name even if I have to pay the bills, would you hire someone who has his own business already?

I'm not sure if I'm offending them by suggesting that their idea is terrible, or because they think I'm lazy and cowardly and therefore incapable of getting a job, which doesn't make any sense, if they think I can't get a job, why would I be able to run a business? And I can't be lazy, since I'm the only one there who does a decent job at cleaning and I work at least 30 hours a week there.

What do you mean by market research? Make an estimate or how much we could make and how much we should make?

I'm here because there's no where else to go.

COME HERE AND RECEIVE A CREEPY HUG

WAIT WHY ARE YOU RUNNING

yes, get some numbers to help make an estimate of takings. If you can, get some records off the guy selling the shop (going to be hard because obviously he wants to sell it). You could go as far as surveying the shopping district, noting how many pedestrians there are, even using a questionnaire - I'm sure there are resources on the net that can set you up for this. the way it's laid out on wikipedia, I recommend what it calls "Random Probability Sampling". Basically just collect evidence to support your assessment.

You've got good retail experience so with a bit of effort put into a CV you should have a good shot at finding work elsewhere. I'm guessing that the job market is, like here, pretty dire at the moment, but it's always easier to get a job while you have a job.

I'm curious to what you Amerikans* think of the GOP and Obama, as an outsider not well versed in the politics of your nation learning about your views would be valuable. I respect that you might not want to discuss politics here but for me it would be interesting to hear some opinions formed from the reality of life in USA.

* I jest, in a very subtle and ingenious way, I believe. Five points for whoever figures this vague and ill-founded✝ joke out.

✝ Well, "ill-founded" in regards to the material I provided in my post.

Didn't we used to have a politics thread? I believe we do.

I'm sorry if that is the case, but I searched first for the Grand Old Party and after your post for politics but I can't find anything!

If we did, I wouldn't be surprised if it was nuked. Politics get mmm, dicey, around here.

I think before we discuss politics we should discuss what you did with the real Dmytro.

wait

how the hell come no-one knows how many siblings the real you had

also that dissertation was basically "water makes a good mixer with vodka, you guys."

also how the hell come no-one knows how many siblings the real you had

Stalin did historians no favors, Kremlin is of no help either. I believe that my truth, along with certain other truths regarding the steppes and Mitteleuropa, still are hidden deep beneath Lubyanka. Free us and usher a new era of revisionism!

So I traded my 2-year old MacBook Pro for a 1st gen MacBook Air. Here are some of my thoughts:

This Mac isn't as dirty as my old one (physically), and is much cleaner (digitally) and faster.

[iI] I love how light this computer is, will be even easier to haul about.

[iII] The touchpad is kind of ugly with the "clicking" part being elevated. Activating "tapping" on the touchpad makes the elevated part redundant... Stupid is what it is!

[iV] The fans make much less noise which is nice (I've got a tendency to keep 20-tabs or so open at all times which strains the computer).

[V] It seems to run 720p Youtube with no problem – I don't do anything heavier with my computer than this...

[VI] The new charger is better connected, but feels less secure.

[VII] Sound is generally worse – both the built-in speakers but also when wearing headphones.

Overall, I enjoy it. I would have enjoyed a second generation MacBook Air even more though. Considering the SSD and all…

[iII] The touchpad is kind of ugly with the "clicking" part being elevated. Activating "tapping" on the touchpad makes the elevated part redundant... Stupid is what it is!

I absolutely despise tap to click touchpads on any laptops, because they lack affirmative feedback and cause me to continually click by accident. Having the whole touchpad clickable rather than a button on my MBP was weird at first, but I was used to it within a week :tup:

[iV] The fans make much less noise which is nice (I've got a tendency to keep 20-tabs or so open at all times which strains the computer).

That's not my experience. The fans keep telling me how great they think it is. :getmecoat

I absolutely despise tap to click touchpads on any laptops, because they lack affirmative feedback and cause me to continually click by accident. Having the whole touchpad clickable rather than a button on my MBP was weird at first, but I was used to it within a week :tup:

Just want to make sure we are on the same page:

e3b9d5%7C0f09_11792-img1458s.jpg

This is how the 'pad looks on a 1st gen MacBook Air. The area above* the elevation works as on a MacBook Pro; it is clickable and can be used for everything if activated! I hardly ever use the elevated area for anything unless I'm trying to copy something (or highlight in Diigo).

* Bellow? Above the elevated area on the picture. Topographically it is bellow the elevated area. Obviously.

Just bought today Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad for 80€, old E8400 Core 2 Duo will be replaced now.

This is all preparation to Rage and beyond. :gaming: