gdf

Life

Just visiting, for a few days or so. That reminds me, I need to look at air fares today (urgh).

I've been mulling over a job posting for the position of librarian in an exclusive English-speaking club in Japan (The Tokyo American Club -it's the highest of brows). I'm so tempted to do it, since it seems the best way to get into a job situation in that country --and it's work that I will probably really like, even if it's not something I'm schooled in.

The biggest downside is the insane risk I'd be taking of course. It would mean giving up everything here and going on a crazy (and AWESOME) journey to the other side of the world. Now I have some precedence in doing that sort of thing (the Hollywood internship two years ago), but this would be an order of magnitude more serious, longer and even more 'definite'. Scary stuff!

I've been mulling over a job posting for the position of librarian in an exclusive English-speaking club in Japan (The Tokyo American Club -it's the highest of brows).

I have no idea if this would be smart for you or not, I just know that selfishly, I want you to go so I can read the blog you make out of the no doubt absurd stories you will experience in such a place.

That's hard to say! Not a major regret, since I know there'll be other opportunities that will probably involve equal amounts of risk. It's really not the risk I'm worried about. Right now I'm thinking of applying and seeing where it can take me. I can always say no if everything turns out to be impossible.

(the Hollywood internship two years ago)

Holy fuck, that was 2 years ago? Dang. Anyway, I think you should apply regardless of what you end up able to do. Open that door at least, and as it sounds like a rewarding experience you'd enjoy, go through it when you feel like you can do it. If it turns out you can't, nothing lost by applying now (unless they charge you to apply or something). Go for it!

Speaking personally, I regret not doing something similar. Now that I'm ensconsed in a business that it by its very nature is in a fixed location, and talking about children, such whims are, while not completely closed, are definitely a lot more tough to just up sticks and go.

Go before you cannot/circumstances make it a lot more difficult.

Plus, if you do, I can visit you. I'm planning a month long trip to Japan for our honeymoon at the moment.

Thanks for the encouragement, fine Thumbs :tup: I have just sent in the application letter + resume. As the religious Dutch fishermen of yore would exclaim before trying to tackle a codfish: god zegene de greep! (god bless [my] grip!)

If all works out, Scrobbs, I'll be happy to eat some sushi with you and your sparkling new wife ^_^

I shall keep my metaphorical fingers crossed for your metaphorical grip.

Edited by subbes
T.

I'll be happy to eat some sushi with you and your sparkling new wife ^_^

It's not going to be that kind of honeymoon, Rodi.

It's not going to be that kind of honeymoon, Rodi.

Well he is going to Japan. . .

Like dropping almost $1000 to cross the Atlantic in a tiny metal tube with a screaming child sat behind me, a plague-carrier beside me and a fat man who loves reclining sat in front.

Hooray air travel.

(I'll be in the UK from Nov 2nd through the 9th. But am too poor to do much more than visit my parents and spend hours on the National Express*.)

* Take the National Express

when your life's in a mess

it'll make you smile

all human life is here

from the feeble old dear

to the screaming child

Air travel can suck, but depending on the airline you can purchase, for an additional fee, economy plus seats that are 100% better than the normal economy seats*. I am seriously never making an intercontinental flight again without going for that option. There's more room, less people around, and the people who are there all paid extra to have a pleasant fucking flight so there's no bullshit with crying babies and faux-pas passengers. To me, that's worth an extra 120 Euros.

(* This is based on the excellent KLM/Air France airline)

Can i post life news in this topic too?

I'm pretty thrilled about not dying.

After spending a combined total of probably about four months in and out of hospitals over the last few years, coming excruciatingly close to death on several occasions, being told that i am currently in good health is awesome.

It's a long complicated story that never really had any clear answers, but it all got pretty bad, had a lot of unexplained problems. Maybe the worst of it was my kidneys just kind of randomly shutting down for a couple months, really just barely made it through that alive. Not something you expect to go through in your mid twenties.

Hey though, things are looking up. Way to go me.

See, it never ends up like an episode of House where they completely explain it and solve it through lots of trial and error and an epiphany in the last 10 minutes.

Good to hear you are now in good health though. :tup:

Holy fuck. Congrats on getting through that, Sno. Lord knows it must have been stressful!

subbes, does that mean you won't be able to make a Thumbs drinks if there is one?

Not something you expect to go through in your mid twenties.

Hey though, things are looking up. Way to go me.

Way to go you indeed! That sounds terrible; congratulations on a clean bill of health.