gdf

Life

I no longer go to the cinema, precisely because people talk and text. It ruins it, sure, but the last few times I've got so pissed off I have ended up in 1 instance walking over to them and telling them to shut up in a loud voice in an effort to shame them, and in the 2nd instance lunging over and snatching the phone off them, and telling them to fuck the fuck off out while nearly smashing it. (They'd been pretty loud and the last straw was when one of them phoned someone up.)

So yeh, I've packed it in in case I smash someone's phone or slap them or something and get in bother.

An ideal solution for me would be to install mobile phone suppression equipment around the place, but I guess it's ilegal. It bloody well shouldn't be. All cinemas, theatres and concert halls should have them as de rigeur.

Geez, what did they do when you snatched their phone from them?

Also I found the blog post by the Alamo founder over this incident and this girl was actually given two warnings before being kicked out of the theatre. So she was actually given more leniency than the standard one warning at Alamo. Ugh.

They tried to grab it back, and also shouted at me to give it back. They looked pretty annoyed, but I was absolutely fucking furious. I gave it back, but was very foul mouthed about it, and told them what I thought of them and they should leave. Then I went and told the staff and got them kicked out. Alas, too late! The film was ruined ( was Angelina Jolie one with her kid replaced), all tension destroyed. :(

They tried to grab it back, and also shouted at me to give it back. They looked pretty annoyed, but I was absolutely fucking furious. I gave it back, but was very foul mouthed about it, and told them what I thought of them and they should leave. Then I went and told the staff and got them kicked out. Alas, too late! The film was ruined ( was Angelina Jolie one with her kid replaced), all tension destroyed. :(

Getting angry in the cinema ruins a film, it's such a shame. The best thing is to try and find a seat where you can't see someone else's phone screen (e.g. the front of a section that's not too close to the screen), and away from anyone else who might talk.

_A-KV_xkrnc

I can't help it. If someone insists on talking, as far as I can see, no-one else will tell them to shut up. I've had people thank me at the end of a film. It's easier to just not go - unless it's an IMAX. Folk seem to have respect there.

Things aren't usually too bad when I go, but there have been some absolutely disgraceful behaviour on occasion, and on such occasions I do wish there would be a Scrobbs around to pull that proverbial plaster off – a short sharp pain rather than a pointlessly drawn-out ache. Sadly, I'm too much of a coward to actually confront people about that sort of thing.

These days my friends and I generally sit in the very front row. One of the upsides our local cinema being a soulless multiplex is that the front row isn't actually too close for us, and it means we have as much leg room as possible and there's no chance of seeing anyone texting. Another benefit is that I can't accidentally jostle the row of seats in front – on more than one occasion I've been told off by people who seemed to think I was wilfully kicking their chair, rather than absent-mindedly shifting my weight and brushing up against the apparently incredibly sensitive seating structure. That said, I've since discovered how annoying it is to be subject to such jostling, so it's a relief to remove the risk of bothering somebody else and not to be racked with anxiety and guilt over the whole damn subject.

Anyway, I still enjoy the cinema, and would like to go most weeks. Sadly there's often nothing worthwhile on. Perhaps I should make the trip into London for artier things more often.

I can be kind of a dick about phones, but it sounds like people here would support me in it. I have a full view of the audience from above from the projection booth, and after putting the lights down will wait until I can't see any backlit screens before starting the movie. If people take more than 30 seconds to shut their shit down, I open my window and announce this fact to the audience. Usually this results in a couple of people chuckling and some others sheepishly turning off their phones.

I'm similarly bothered by phone screens, especially at the local multiplex that has banked seats. Phone screens below just beam straight up at you.

An ideal solution for me would be to install mobile phone suppression equipment around the place, but I guess it's ilegal. It bloody well shouldn't be. All cinemas, theatres and concert halls should have them as de rigeur.

Jamming equipment is illegal (but possible); it's probably not illegal to put a faraday cage around an auditorium to block signal though.

I no longer go to the cinema, precisely because people talk and text. It ruins it, sure, but the last few times I've got so pissed off I have ended up in 1 instance walking over to them and telling them to shut up in a loud voice in an effort to shame them, and in the 2nd instance lunging over and snatching the phone off them, and telling them to fuck the fuck off out while nearly smashing it. (They'd been pretty loud and the last straw was when one of them phoned someone up.)

So yeh, I've packed it in in case I smash someone's phone or slap them or something and get in bother.

Man, what kind of nightmare theater do you go to? All the theaters I go to are generally pretty quiet, aside from the occasional baby, which sadly does not have an on/off switch.

There are a couple of theatres in this town and the level of annoyance differs incredibly from one to the other. It's immediately noticeable that the theatre smack dab in the middle of the city is an atrocity, with loads of 'night on town' people stepping in just to spend a few hours indoors instead of actively wanting to see the movie. It's horrible.

Then there's the fantastic cinema just outside of the inner city that's generally extremely quiet and pleasant despite being frequented by just as many people. It's a world of difference.

Man, what kind of nightmare theater do you go to? All the theaters I go to are generally pretty quiet, aside from the occasional baby, which sadly does not have an on/off switch.

Really? What kind of degenerate takes a baby to a theater?

And in all silliness, babies do have an off switch.

So I went to see Win Win (great movie) and guess what. Totally different cinema (same chain, though), and the front left speaker wasn't working. So all the music only came from the right side of the screen.

Ugh.

Time to write a letter to this dreaded chain: CineWorld.

So yeah, Norway was awesome once again!

Super expensive, but I really liked Oslo. I will definitely go back there or somewhere else in Norway someday.

That country is not meant for poor foreign tourists.

The fjords around Oslo were really nice, we took a boat ride around there. I want a summer cottage from there! Need to win in a lottery first I guess.

I just picked up my thesis and got a 63 on it, which is great.

Huzzah!

Back to the ladder as zerg:getmecoat

I want to buy one of these (Check out the twin Webers on pic 6). The little Caterham will be fun at low speed (140 brake, BUT! weighs about as much as a hanky), plus there's a hill climb course 9 miles from me. Will need a racing B licence, but they don't look too hard to get.

I think I need it. Skydiving is too expensive, can't fly power kites (due to back problems). I love driving fast. What more is there to say? :)

Enjoy the flies in your teeth and the wind-flapped jowls!

(I'm saving up for a roadster - a Mazda MX5/Miata - but student loans, the need to take transatlantic trips to see my family, and a low-paying job mean I'll be 30 before that happens.)

I want to buy one of these (Check out the twin Webers on pic 6). The little Caterham will be fun at low speed (140 brake, BUT! weighs about as much as a hanky), plus there's a hill climb course 9 miles from me. Will need a racing B licence, but they don't look too hard to get.

My dad claims that his first car was a Caterham.

The MX5 is a great little motor! Get the 1.8 though. Really nippy - although driving one, as a bloke, you feel a little bit... um... effeminate :)

That wouldn't be a problem for me, obviously.

(OBVIOUSLY.)

I think I need it. Skydiving is too expensive, can't fly power kites (due to back problems). I love driving fast. What more is there to say? :)

Oo, reminds me of the Lotus in The Prisoner.

That wouldn't be a problem for me, obviously.

(OBVIOUSLY.)

WELL. QUITE.

(Why are we shouting?)

I DON'T KNOW.

I have been up since 2:30AM, when I woke up because my husband was snoring, and now, when I am finally sleepy again, they are mowing the lawn outside with the loudest possible machinery. Who do I have to kill?