gdf

Life

Yesyesyesyesyesyes! :tup:

And they're all naked, because their clothes have rotted off.

stewartm.png

Yesyesyesyesyesyes! :tup:

And they're all naked, because their clothes have rotted off.

stewartm.png

Interestingly it was Jude Law who was originally going to play that part. It would have worked on a different level with him.

So I've been contributing artwork to this game for months now and I'm kind of regretting it because my stuff isn't meshing with the rest of how the game looks from the other artists (all of it looks bad to me except stuff output by this one artist) and it appears the gameplay is pissing people off. I honestly have not played much of the game outside of the first two areas and have just been contributing the art when I have time, so I wasn't fully aware of how the game was going. I thought the game seemed like a good idea, if not seriously dated, so I figured it would just be pretty niche, like a genre fan game type thing. I didn't think it'd start getting buzz on major sites.

Everytime this game shows up, the comments are just vicious. I don't really find fault in what they are saying, but I hope at the very least my artwork is okay to good for many. Somehow I don't think that will matter and I feel like I've just been wasting my time.

Other problem is are the designers are nice guys and I guess in a way I didn't want to disappoint them at the same time. I didn't really factor in my own disappointment and was kind of excited just to be working on anyone's game. I feel bad just for agreeing with the vicious comments and this is all kind of embarrassing to me.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

You don't want to mention the title? :) I'm kind of curious now!

I'd rather not mention it because I'm afraid that the guys designing and programming it might find their way here via a google search and see how disappointed I am, but you can probably find out what it is by clicking around on my website.

Not too hard to find it with some cybersleuthing. I'll respect your wishes and not say the name here.

FWIW, the game doesn't look terrible. Could use a much more streamlined UI and a more cohesive art direction. The latter part must be killing you, since it's not your fault if there wasn't enough communication to ensure coherency or if your art was just downright misused. At the very least, you'll have some kick-ass individual drawings for your portfolio.

On the other hand, the game's not even alpha. It's possible the game was just shown off too early, before any one area had a fully polished vertical slice. Still time for these issues to potentially be resolved.

Yeah, there really isn't an art director which to speak of. They just kind of call on people they used to work with (I knew one guy from an old job) and then lay out instructions.

I was thinking of offering to do some kind of art direction role to tie things together, but the game would need almost a complete overhaul to make artwork match other like artwork and be cohesive in that department and I'm not even sure the game is worth that effort.

Also, yeah, that GUI is the worst thing ever.

Thanks for the kind words though, Noyb. I'm hoping framed right, some of the artwork I did is very suitable for throwing in my image gallery of worthwhile artwork for employers to hopefully one day bite at.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

I think offering that service is a good idea. What are they gonna do, fire you? You might be able to really turn the game (whatever it is) around...

EDIT: love that Imaginary Film video on your blog, btw. Parklife was one of the first singles I ever bought, so I'm very fond of that song. Keep going!

Edited by bbX1138

Yeah I'll ask after I finish this next batch of backgrounds and I'm done for the game if they want me to try to give the game more polish or make it mesh together.

EDIT: love that Imaginary Film video on your blog, btw. Parklife was one of the first singles I ever bought, so I'm very fond of that song. Keep going!

Hah, thanks. Finishing that short is what I'd really like to get back to, it's a lot of tedious fun to work on.

I present today's events, in partial chatlog format.

[06/04/2011 1:15:43 PM] subbes: My car's boot release seems to have broken, so I have to open the driver's side door and tug on the little lever to open it, rather than use the key in the lock on the boot. This is irritating but not, I suppose, a real problem as long as I can still get it open in another fashion.

[06/04/2011 1:15:43 PM] subbes: I expect it will be expensive to fix so I will ignore it.

[06/04/2011 1:21:38 PM] chum: you could drive from the boot so you can keep it closed with your teeth

[06/04/2011 1:21:45 PM] chum: a few yoga stretches should do the trick

[06/04/2011 1:22:36 PM] subbes: Drive by wire?

(TIME PASSES.)

[06/04/2011 1:47:11 PM] subbes: boot would not open using lever inside car

[06/04/2011 1:47:25 PM] chum: did you have to crawl inside

[06/04/2011 1:47:30 PM] subbes: had to fold down back seat, crawl inside boot, and try to manually open it from the insi-

[06/04/2011 1:47:32 PM] subbes: BLAST

[06/04/2011 1:47:34 PM] subbes: yes i did

[06/04/2011 1:47:38 PM] chum: I AM GRAET

[06/04/2011 1:48:08 PM] subbes: There's a little switch that locks it permanently, that switch is small and hidden, and it had been switched somehow

[06/04/2011 1:48:11 PM] chum: did the back seat flip up when you were in the boot and now you're stuck in the boot and squashed against the glass and texting for help

[06/04/2011 1:48:55 PM] chum: please do not leave your [subbes] in the car in this hot weather

That's it, I'm fed up, I'm founding a game studio and I'll start making games.

I've been meaning to do the same for about five years now but keep putting it aside. Now I have a mortgage to pay (I own a place WTF it is so weird) so... I'll do it tomorrow.

On the plus side, new place == new TV and new sound system and fuck it is awesome although I'm now starting to regret not going for that little bit of a bigger tv. oh well.

Wow, that just doesn't seem possible. Did this really happen in real life. If so, how did you escape?

I'm pretty sure the bit about the back seat flipping back up was just EDIT: her friend making a joke.

Edited by JamesM

I just spent a weekend camping with the Systema crowd, and it was excellent. I learned new stuff, and did new stuff. Climbed and abseiled for the first time ever, and did a river crossing with a rope. We were told to take ready bags and keep them nearby, i.e. packs that give you a couple of days food, shelter, fire, clothing and water. Sure enough, we were told to hike into the woods and set up camp for the first night, with just the tarps we'd packed rather than the tents we pitched at the main site. Lovely night.

Unexpectedly, I ended up helping a farmer get a head collar onto a young, unbroken stallion. There were about 8 of us in the stable with it, trying to calm down the stallion and stay calm ourselves. We'd been trying it for about five minutes when I ended up the only person between it and the door. It reared up, came back down, headbutted me, then pinned me in the corner with it's shoulder. No one could see me over the horse and they assumed I'd jumped over the stable door, but then saw my arms come around it's neck.

I successfully put a horse in a headlock. I couldn't have held it for more than a second or two, but as soon as another guy realised what I'd done he did the same from the other side and it subdued it, then they could get the collar on. I'm not sure how I feel about my instincts telling me to do that, but it earned me some hearty congratulations from the farmers and a lot of backslaps :eek:

(COUGHS POINTEDLY.) Her friend. I'm a gal.

It all happened (the boot not opening, lowering the seats, crawling inside) except for the seats flipping up and me being trapped in glass texting rapidly for help. That bit was just my chum's fantasy for damsels in distress, or squashed ladies, or dogs in hot cars, or something.

[EDIT.]

Well done, Nachmir! I've been trampled by hosses before, it's not fun (the hoof-shaped bruises are a hit at parties though).

Sid Caesar once punched a misbehaving horse between the eyes and it passed out.

I'm pretty sure the bit about the back seat flipping back up was just his friend making a joke.

psst... Subbes is a lady.

EDIT: ...and one who stepped in to correct you herself while I was typing the following:

So my boss announced last week that he's leaving my theatre to take over a theatre in Edmonton. It's a fantastic gig for him, with a pension and all sorts of benefits that he's deserved for a long time here but hasn't gotten, so I'm really happy for him. At the same time, it sucks for selfish reasons. First and foremost, I've worked with this guy across two theatres for about 7 years now and he's a really good friend so it's sad to see him leave the city. Second, the owner of the building, who has kept himself out of the picture and let us steer the theatre in the direction we have for the last few years (that is, toward a community house that occasionally shows new releases but more often than not is hosting an interesting festival or cinematheque event. Right now behind me in the theatre there's a lecture sponsored by the bookstore next door with an author flown in from the states. Next weekend George A Romero will be here to do a talk with a screening of Night of the Living Dead), is going to be coming back and taking over the programming. This means that we're likely going to be heading away from the cool community house theatre model and towards the "one movie, 18 shows a week" model. It'll be stable, I guess, but a hell of a lot less interesting and ultimately less valuable to the city's artistic and underground communities.

Third, I'm unsure how stable my hours are going to be after the next month or so. Loving my projection job as much as I do, it sucks that I'm now having to think about backup plans, but going back to school in the fall I need something that's both stable and accommodating (starting in January I'll be doing a practicum at an elementary school) to the hours that my program will require. With the guy who's leaving in charge, I would have certainly had that. He was as supportive as any of my professors in getting my thesis done and graduating last year, sometimes flat-out telling me to get writing while I was on shift. The guy taking over, not so much.

Long story shot, shake-up in theatre management at 75 year old one screen venue proves very distressing to young projectionist.

POST EDIT: Well done, Nach! That's a great story. Getting your wits about you after being headbutted by a horse is impressive enough. I've been thrown a few times, and just getting up afterwards was tough.

(COUGHS POINTEDLY.) Her friend. I'm a gal.

Well that will teach you for changing your avatar (which, for those playing at home, she has done again, making my error painfully obvious). I can't keep track of you people if you all keep changing your Internet faces.

In seriousness, though, sorry. I remembered that "subbes" was married to another forum member or something, but it's only now that I remember that "shammack" is the male component of that particular equation. I should pay better attention. Or become more comfortable with humiliating myself with these sorts of blunders.

Marriages as equations. I really am quite the romantic.

Sorry to hear about the job you love to much, Miffy. You must be one of the last few projectionists in the western hemisphere. Speaking of which, I was watching HANNA the other day (great movie) in a cinema where the front left and right speakers weren't working (where most of the music lives -- grrr).

I went and complained but none of the staff had any idea what the fuck I was talking about... And they have no projectionists.

Afterwards I found a manager to let him know about the problem, and he didn't seem to understand either. It's very annoying :(

I miss projectionists.

I think we're pretty lucky on Nottingham to have the Broadway. They make a point of showing interesting films, doing alright food, having nice bars, and also some very good projectionists and technicians for events.

None of them understood where the sound comes from?

With a six channel(?) set-up, none of them could tell that two of them weren't working. The manager even said to me, "well nobody else has complained" -- typical British customer service. (Thankfully he became more amiable after that.)

The trailer for Larry Crowne is really sinister when you remove the music.

I went and complained but none of the staff had any idea what the fuck I was talking about... And they have no projectionists.

Afterwards I found a manager to let him know about the problem, and he didn't seem to understand either. It's very annoying :(

I miss projectionists.

Really? I had no idea people played movies without projectionists. Is it just like a computer program now or just is it streamlined so some guy can start the movie and leave?

I mean I know what this is like, when I went to a certain AMC in Houston, it was almost worthless everything because something would be wrong or the aspect ratio would be off or cut. Volume would be too low or ear splitting. Junk like that. I'm glad in Austin there are tons of Alamo Drafthouses which seem to work very similar to Miffy's community theatre. Bless that business model!

As Scrobbs showed:

Here's a great little cinema that appears to be in Austin:

They have gotten really serious about throwing people out by the way recently, I guess the theatre talking has gotten pretty obnoxious this year. I'm now afraid to even whisper to the people I'm with as I'm prone to do. Even still I haven't seen that introduction and that texter totally deserved it. They run multiple shorts before the movie begins on what you can't do in the theatre. It's posted on their website and on signs around the place. I'm guessing she got there late for her first time and just generally had no idea what she was getting into.