gdf

Life

I'm back home \o/

now I can play minecraft again

We just moved Nottingham Hackspace from two small rooms to a bunch of absolutely huge ones. It's so big we can ride bikes around it.

We've got a lot of work to do to get the space exactly how we want it, and with the workshop facilities from the last place we're only using about a quarter of what we've got to expand into now. It's really fucking exciting :tup:

Fuck everything. It's a Conservative majority government for Canada. I can't fucking believe this. We're fucked. Harper can do whatever the fuck he wants for a while now, and this is a man who fucking idolized Bush. What the fuck is wrong with this country?

So far, we have about 30 paying members and assorted other people that come to events and the open nights every week. What we've found is that whatever space we go into, it limits expansion to a degree.

We started by just doing events in the pub a year ago, then moved into a store room with access to a shared event space, then got our own workshop and teaching rooms. At each step we found the group would only expand so far before stalling.

Now we have 4275 square feet :tup:

:tup:

At your current rate of growth, when do you anticipate you'll need to conduct a coup to get a big enough space for your 50,000,000 members?

Summer's creeping in here, so I'm no longer able to walk to or from work past the lake full of mutant aggressive ducks.

So - just being curious here since I've got no intention of doing the following - would you allow a 4/5 people indie game dev team to move in and work fulltime from the workshop; instead of them having to rent some kind of office ?

Time to see Rush for the second time in my life today so I'm off to Helsinki.

Come on Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart! Rock on!

So - just being curious here since I've got no intention of doing the following - would you allow a 4/5 people indie game dev team to move in and work fulltime from the workshop; instead of them having to rent some kind of office ?

Interesting question, and debatable. Not sure.

We think it's very cool to have people prototyping stuff here, and we're planning to offer co-working space (also known as hot-desking to corporate types), as well as rent benches for bigger projects (Members get storage boxes as part of their membership).

If anyone is seen to take over the space though, it really corrupts it, ala the Roommate Anti-Pattern. I think having a company based there full time, even a small one, would probably do that.

Edit: Just discussed it with one of the other founders, and we think it's a really interesting debate. Verdict so far: If it's for good, no. If it's for a couple of weeks, yes.

Basically, we think prototyping stuff in a hackspace, for profit or not, is all good. Running a company inside one is not.

Edited by Nachimir

Time to see Rush for the second time in my life today so I'm off to Helsinki.

Come on Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart! Rock on!

I saw Rush one time when they came to Detroit in like 05. I'm not a huge music nut or a rush fan in general, but it was a hell of a show. I remember the drummer telling the audience to drink our milk, or he was going to kill us lol!

Shit, things are not looking good in the job search department. Almost 25 places down and I'm now desperately applying to Zynga. Even if I were to get that job I will hate myself.

I guess maybe it will be time to switch careers in a month or so to gas station attendant.

Rush gig was awesome sauce!

It lasted 3h 15 minutes and at one point in their half time video they were dressed up as the fucking wizards. :tup:

I wish I had a video clip or a picture of that as proof but sadly I do not.

Rush is amazing, and Neil Peart is one damn great drummer.

Edited by Kolzig

Edit: Just discussed it with one of the other founders, and we think it's a really interesting debate. Verdict so far: If it's for good, no. If it's for a couple of weeks, yes.

Basically, we think prototyping stuff in a hackspace, for profit or not, is all good. Running a company inside one is not.

This makes complete sense. :yep:

If you're keen on promoting/helping game prototyping, I'm pretty sure people would find it awesome if you'd host Global Game Jam 2012.

Pretty sure the answer to that will be "YES!". We could host a lot of jammers :tup:

I really wished I could get my hand on a facility like that : 48 hours of garage-days game dev must be pretty sweet.

Hm. We have a barn that could be used for this purpose. It's still a barn at the moment, but plans are to turn it into a weekend holiday cottage type of thing, but this might be another use. Bit out of the way though! Won't be ready for a year or so as I need investment capital.

I need investment capital.

So that's why you joined the forums!

So, this is probably below the scope of regular discussion in this thread, but, you know, whatever: I took my SAT yesterday; how easy they were. 710 per section as a minimum, I'll bet.

I decided a week or two ago that my grubby old laptop had to be replaced as it had a raft of technical issues.

Never get an Acer.

I ordered a new one from Dell.

Never do this either.

What the fuck happened to my F Keys?

Instead of the F Keys having additional functions that you toggle by holding down the Fn key, the additional functions are now the PRIMARY FUCKING FUNCTIONS FOR THE KEYS! If I want to use a F key I have to toggle that on by using Fn button.

Want to rename that file? I'm sorry you just turned off your wireless connection. (As if to prove a point, I actually managed to do this one whist typing the previous sentence)

Were you trying to refresh your inbox? Oh deary me, you just hit mute.

Would you like some help? Have a pointless fucking dialog for selecting what monitor setup you have.

:(

Is there any way around this "feature"?

Random googling found this advice. Hope it works on your setup. That's such an absurd default behavior.

As the system in booting hit F2 to go to Setup. From there click 'System Configuration' then 'Function Key Behavior'. Switch to 'Fuction Key First' then hit the 'Apply' box, then 'Exit'. Now the function keys will work normaly and you can hold 'Fn' to use the multimedia fuctions.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19267017.aspx

It would be almost too typical if this wasn't possible.