gdf

Life

Yesterday I was wondering about the British Museum and two tourists stopped me. A man and woman, one with a camera in their hand. I thought they were going to ask me to take a joint photograph of them, but no. They wanted me to pose in one, with the girl.

It was a very surreal experience!

Are we sure this is the real TP, and not say, a skindancer? NIFO, ITOWTBS?

Meet my friend Sarcasm; Sarcasm meet Armchair General.

I did wonder that obviously, I read it that you would rather have police with sticks than stupid politicians, but I accept I could have interpreted it erroneously.

Also, perhaps it is just because you are so incredibly handsome TP that random female tourists are compelled to have your face on film? I think you need to plunder that avenue for all it's worth:tup:

I did wonder that obviously, I read it that you would rather have police with sticks than stupid politicians, but I accept I could have interpreted it erroneously.

Well... I can accept cops being morons that beat people with sticks, after all, the average street cop would probably below the average person. But moronic politicians, that's something I cannot accept.

For the record, I don't mind sarcasm or anything like that. Everyone's been super nice.

Anyways, it seems like things have calmed down, though some people are calling up for arms. They'll be swatted down quickly. University tomorrow (heh, I say tomorrow; it's in six hours! Damn you assignments, I need sleep!) should be interesting.

Was there any explanation given? That's bizarre.

No explanation. I posed politely next to the girlfriend (I presume the girlfriend) and the boyfriend took the photo. They both graciously thanked me afterwards.

It's nice to be able to do something for the little people :tup:

You do sort of look vaguely like someone famous (at least in all of the pictures I've seen of you), but I wouldn't know which famous person exactly.

Maybe that's it?

You do sort of look vaguely like someone famous (at least in all of the pictures I've seen of you), but I wouldn't know which famous person exactly.

Maybe that's it?

Well, I do get a few comments on my resemblance to Justin Beiber... Hnnng :deranged:

Well, I do get a few comments on my resemblance to Justin Beiber... Hnnng :deranged:

Haha! Now you come to mention it... :grin:

I would say you resemble Jamiroquai more than anything, but I have been known to have bad opinions in the field of "X person resembles said celebrity."

(Virtual Insanity - Godzilla era Jamiroquai, mind you. I have no idea how he looks these days. [Jay Kay, I mean.])

Edited by Orvidos

The other day someone told me I looked like Jack Black.

Basically, people are blind.

I no more look like Jack Black than I look like Jack White.

The vaguest thing I've ever been called was when I wore a black top hat and someone shouted at me: 'Hey look, it's André Hazes wearing a top hat!'.

André Hazes is a (dead), fat Dutch singer who looks nothing like me and whose style consists of specifically not wearing top hats.

Kroms, you stay the fuck alive and safe in Jordan.

André Hazes? Hahahaha. I've seen your photo, I do not see the resemblence. :grin:

Fun week as I'm having a girlfriend over from the States. I'm going to be spending today and tomorrow in Amsterdam with her and we'll be doing lots of touristy things! After that, we'll see. We have the week to ourselves so I'm just gonna chillax and enjoy the company. :yep:

Hope you're still ok Kroms, and thanks for posting firsthand videos.

--

I've had a busy month since leaving my last employer. Setting up my own company, talking to clients and potential clients, and a few months ago I prototyped an add-on for a video camera just because I had the idea and wanted one.

It got so many comments at Maker Faire UK, and from other snowboarders and mountain bikers, that I'm looking into manufacturing costs and might be selling kits soon. I think I could even manage really small runs profitably thanks to CNC machining.

D-d-d-d-double post! Missed this:

I finally decided to buy some ski boots. Nothing beats owning shoes that fit better. Renting shoes is always a pain as those shoes rarely fit well.

Second this. Renting gear is only worth it the first time to see if you enjoy it; once you know you do it's well worth having the comfort and consistency of your own.

Snow conditions sucked quite a lot. The upper slopes (@ les deux alpes) were ok'ish, but outside of the slopes it was pretty much green.

Sounds similar to Chamonix in early February. It was hot, and the pistes were icy in the mornings and slushy in the afternoons. Lots of rocks to dodge too. Lower pistes on the north of the valley were closed altogether, and people out there for the season said the snow wasn't like that until May most years.

It's nice to go and see glaciers before they're all gone. :tfart:

D-d-d-d-double post!

C-c-c-c-combo breaker!

I've mastered Hiragana (The Japanese writing system), I only have Katakana and ~3000 Kanji to learn before I can read a newspaper. :tup:

Dude, you're learning Japanese? (I had noticed the 中 sign in your sig before you foolishly changed it.)

I've been learning Japanese since the end of January and so far it's really great and interesting to learn. Hiragana and katakana are pretty doable in a week each if you're dedicated. I found learning them was incredibly rewaring and appealing, because it's relatively simple yet you feel like you're learning a goddamn secret code.

I'm about 250 kanji into the big ~2000 (actually about 2300). That's a bit of a grind, but I'm trying to learn ten new kanji every day. With the right learning techniques, that proved 100% possible, much to my surprise.

Really, this whole experience if anything taught me how incredibly powerful and strong our minds are at remembering things and processing new information. I've been pleasantly surprised the whole way through.

C-c-c-c-combo breaker!

I've mastered Hiragana (The Japanese writing system), I only have Katakana and ~3000 Kanji to learn before I can read a newspaper. :tup:

F-f-f-f-fatality!

(I have no news.)

I'm spluttering impotently at JavaScript for 8 hours only to look in my archives and find that I already wrote the necessary code 6 months ago and my day's been completely wasted.

Then I'm being menaced by ducks.

C-c-c-c-combo breaker!

I did some Japanese courses during my second and third years at Uni (it was that or take intro French, which I had been speaking since I was 7). It was fun, but really hard to do simultaneously with a full course load. I had memorized all the Hiragana and Katakana, as well as about 100 Kanji, and at this point can sort of ask for directions to a bathroom. Of course, letting it atrophy for 2 years probably has something to do with that, so make sure you keep practicing if you're serious about it. Have fun with tricky language stuff!

I... wait, what?

I walk home past a large lake filled with ducks - the Muscovy kind, that are quite big and brave. Braver than me, sometimes.

Japanese learners appear!

you feel like you're learning a goddamn secret code.

The Mission Impossible theme started playing as I started typing this, amazing. :tup: I was just going to say, it does feel like you are a wizard when you can decipher the code.

I'm about 250 kanji into the big ~2000 (actually about 2300). That's a bit of a grind, but I'm trying to learn ten new kanji every day. With the right learning techniques, that proved 100% possible, much to my surprise.

I need to learn this technique. I have a book with 300 kanji in it, so far i've gone through like 10. For some reason I hate the look of Katakana, i'm scared to learn it in case it pushes Hiragana out of my brain.

Have fun with tricky language stuff!

Thanks!

I'm spluttering impotently at JavaScript for 8 hours only to look in my archives and find that I already wrote the necessary code 6 months ago and my day's been completely wasted.

Been there with some C++ code I wrote a while back. Oh my articles. How I wept in joy and bitter tears.

Then I'm being menaced by ducks.

I walk home past a large lake filled with ducks - the Muscovy kind, that are quite big and brave. Braver than me, sometimes.

Written by Alan Moore...

cFK2Xq2RyiU

Kroms: I let my C/++ work/play rest when I realized I would never get anywhere without being able to explain recursion in an amusing fashion.

I tried to explain these ducks to the friend I was chatting to on the 'phone by describing how they were harassing a squirrel. He just told me to pretend I was a swan (presumably by extending my neck) and stand up to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscovy_Duck