gdf

Life

Ugh. I really want to go to Cannes this year, but I'm not convinced I can afford it. Even sleeping on my friend's hotel floor. I've always wanted to go and this could be my last chance... *whinge*

Blahhhhhhhhh!!!

So I applied for art school this year, felt pretty confident in my work. I got called for the interview and the three exams. There wasn't enough time to fly down to do the interview in person so they wanted it on Skype.

I hadn't used Skype in like 5 years, so when I saw it had video I asked will I need a camera. I am ABSOLUTELY sure that they said no; but when 1pm rolled around yesterday the first statement was "We can't see you?"

I really should double check everything now when talking with artists who only use macs about stuff like this, because I essentially got the same answer from my mom "Skype can be used without video?"

So that was basically a total fail. The drawing test went pretty badly, the creativity test was about coming up with advertising ideas(no experience, not really in that frame of mind) so that was a fail. Communication test may have been pretty ok, but considering my writting style on these forums I'll assume a fail.

Wow, thats just bad. So 1 of the 2 illustration schools in Canada has most likely shut me out and I really don't want to go live in Toronto for 4 years.

I still plan on taking a couple months break regardless because I'm really burnt out to do my job effectively, but I really don't know what I'll do now.

I could spend the summer making a new portfolio for the more digital schools in the states, but even if I can find the money for it, I'll be in debt for the rest of my life... le sigh.

I used to have dodgy landlords, but the last 3 I've had have been absolutely superb, I've gotten to know them really well and still remain friends with one of them to this day... I guess I'm on a lucky streak with that.

On landlords, I've always rented rooms in people's houses. I don't mind sharing houses, and that way, if anything goes wrong with the house the landlord is really motivated to fix it.

None of my friends in the area are in a house-ownership situation. One of them might be approaching it, but that would be in Woking, which is pretty far away from here, and not somewhere I want to be, despite it being quite near where I currently work. Or perhaps because of that. I certainly wouldn't mind doing so, but it doesn't seem like an option for the time being.

Last chance, how so? Is the festival quitting?

I'm unlikely to be able to get accreditation in the future. This year I can (almost) guarantee it.

Feeling a lot of hate towards university at the moment, I am torn between hating and loving my course, I love the material I hate everything else at this point. I have been feeling like just dropping out and getting a job/apprenticeship, something I know I really shouldn't do. I just want to get it all done with, get a real job, meet a nice girl, get married and have kids.

I'm 20 for fucks sakes, I shouldn't feel like this.

I'm unlikely to be able to get accreditation in the future. This year I can (almost) guarantee it.

Wow, how did you swing accreditation? Shame you couldn't make it financially viable.

Wow, how did you swing accreditation? Shame you couldn't make it financially viable.

Friends in the right places... I still desperately want to go. Maybe I can swing it.... maybe!

Feeling a lot of hate towards university at the moment, I am torn between hating and loving my course, I love the material I hate everything else at this point. I have been feeling like just dropping out and getting a job/apprenticeship, something I know I really shouldn't do. I just want to get it all done with, get a real job, meet a nice girl, get married and have kids.

I'm 20 for fucks sakes, I shouldn't feel like this.

I love you Patters. Full stop. :grin:

Got an interview for an internship with the Detroit Lions Broadcasting department Thursday. I've been focusing on radio for the past couple of months since I got my degree, but this is going to be heavier on the video production if I get it. I don't even know if its paid or not, so if I were to get it, that would put me in a weird situation of driving 1.5 hours, just for the opportunity to MAYBE get hired in if I'm good enough and they actually need people.

I have now been unemployed for five months to the day. It is a weird feeling, that life seems like a lifetime again.

I really, really hate the god damn bees, wasps, hornets and everything that looks like those.

I really, really hate the god damn bees, wasps, hornets and everything that looks like those.

I hate anything with more than four legs. Period.

I broke up with my girlfriend last night, which is not as bad as it sounds.

It was mutual; she's going away for a placement year at fabulous game developer, and with us both knowing from past experience that we really, really suck at long distance, it made the most sense to end things. I really can't blame her for taking the best option for her career either, in a climate where placements are like rocking horse shit she had three interviews and offers from all of them.

What was sweet was the we both saw it coming, both got trepidant, and as a result both thought we were about to really hurt the other, but it turned out to be okay.

I have a generally odd opinion on relationships, framed mainly by my parents divorce. Staying uncomfortably married for so long was a failure on their part, and the divorce resulting in none of us having to maintain facades that contributed to a family was a massive win, unanimously. As a result, I don't really get the idea that if a relationship ends it failed, or if it carries on it's succeeding. If I can stay friends with an ex, that's a win in my book.

My emotions have been up and down today, but very mild compared to other breakups where I've been hurt or had to hurt someone. Playing GTA with some of you tonight helped a lot, so thanks :tup:

That kind of sucks Nachimir, but I'm glad you're dealing with it so maturely. I've had one amicable breakup in the past and they really are to be preferred - emotional, sad, but also weirdly life affirming.

Shit dude, sorry to hear that. Glad to see you seem to be coping fairly well.

Nachimir, I think you have the right idea about relationships: just because they end, doesn't mean they have no value. Similar experience here: Last year me and my girlfriend broke up after a year because I was in the States for some time. Despite some sadness, the overwhelming emotion about the relationship was one of joy, as it had been a full year of wonderful partnership. There's nothing wrong with things ending, that's only natural. Might be sad, but it doesn't have to necessarily spoil the journey :tup:

Yeah, the implicit idea that the only good relationship anyone can ever have must always end with at least one party dying is ridiculous. I'm no relationship expert, but it seems absurdly naïve to think that if one ends, you might as well not have bothered. I don't know exactly how common that type of thinking is, to be fair.

Edited by JamesM

I don't know if the explicit idea is widespread, but it is easy to see that it is inferred by our every depiction of a relationship in fiction. Come to think of it, it's a depressing thought how many insane, aweful, unrealistic things are inferred by fiction.

Yeah, the implicit idea that the only good relationship anyone can ever have must always end with at least one party dying is ridiculous. I'm no relationship expert, but it seems absurdly naïve to think that one ends, you might as well not have bothered. I don't know exactly how common that type of thinking is, to be fair.

I disagree, I'm all for long term monogamy, but I have no good points to counteract your points.

I disagree, I'm all for long term monogamy, but I have no good points to counteract your points.

Oh, I totally don't mean to knock long-term monogamy. That's the ultimate goal for me (in as much as I pursue that stuff at all, which is pathetically little). I just mean that to dismiss everything else as worthless or a failure or somehow unacceptable is dumb. Sure, it's disappointing, and sure, if somebody betrays you or otherwise does you wrong, you'd be justified in getting angry, but sometimes (most of the time, perhaps) people simply aren't compatible, or circumstances interfere, or some other element of chance gets in the way, and this does not render the time spent worthless. The idea that all relationships must be entered with the concrete goal of spending the rest of the rest of your lives together is a bit silly, I think. Shouldn't that be something that emerges over time? Thrusting it onto things from the outset seems stifling. It's not that I promote all that "playing the field" or whatever stuff. I'm pretty much completely the opposite. Promiscuity is kind of intimidating and completely alien to me. I just think that mature relationships should probably all be valuable, regardless of whether they ultimately work out. Also, sometimes it's better to break up. Not that people shouldn't try to rescue things, but sometimes prolonging a relationship can be damaging to all involved, and create unnecessary resentment, and all that jazz.

I really have no authority to say any of this.

I bought a suit today for my graduation! I tried on a pink tie, but it was too fabulous so I ended up getting a gray one with stripes on it. I still got a pink undershirt though.

Edited by Wurtsi