gdf

Life

Ah, fair enough. I intend to go back for a Master's, which would be two years here as well, but I am torn between doing what I originally went into school to do and continuing with Philosophy and seeing if I can make a career in academia out of it. As such, I'm taking a year off before applying to grad school for next year. During this year, I will continue to work my current very nice job and also get some volunteer work done. While doing this, I hope that my competing ambitions will go into a full-on battle and will apply for whichever kind of Master's degree the surviving one recommends.

How is funding for masters degrees in Canada friend? It's a bit of a hassle in the UK, I'd love to go for one.

Also a massive hassle. I'm not really sure how I'd work it out. Another part of my year off is to figure that shit out.

Gah that was a weird experience. I just hit a bat at 60 mph on my motorcycle. Hit me square in the chest.

For some reason I suddenly in-visioned Road Rash until what you wrote actually computed.

weird dude.

Gah that was a weird experience. I just hit a bat at 60 mph on my motorcycle. Hit me square in the chest.

"This is bat country."

Nice work, gerbil. Damn you for getting there first.

Also, weird. I can't imagine what being hit in the chest by a small flying mammal at high speed feels like. Was the little guy ok?

I think you may have been 'scratched' by the bat and now, at the next full moon, you will become Batman...

There is a simple diagnostic test to see if this is the case:

Squid Division; I am going to ask you a question. I want you to answer with the first thing that comes into your head.

Are you, or have you ever been, The Night?

No I have not. Guess that means I'm good?

Although weirdly, the motorcycle under all that batman stuff does kinda look like mine.....

Edit: I take that back, there was this one time in 2005 where I had to take over for a friend when he couldn't be the Night that night.

Edited by Squid Division

Are you, or have you ever been, The Night?

I'm not sure if there's anyone who can easily say they haven't for sure, even without being smacked in the chest by a bat.

Also, SquidDivision, I'm glad you didn't lose control or anything. My dad told me once in his younger days when he owned a motorcycle that a wasp had flown into his helmet and stung him a few times. He pulled over, but that is some freaky shit to me.

Although weirdly, the motorcycle under all that batman stuff does kinda look like mine.....

And now you know what you must do. It was a sign.

Poor little bat. Glad you're OK, though. I had a buddy who hit a deer on his bike once.. Ugh. remarkably, he was more or less fine once he skidded to a stop.

Looking at how clueless and unobservant most drivers are in general, I'd be pretty terrified to ride a bike, even without taking the forces of nature into consideration.

You sir, are far braver than I.

Also, SquidDivision, I'm glad you didn't lose control or anything. My dad told me once in his younger days when he owned a motorcycle that a wasp had flown into his helmet and stung him a few times. He pulled over, but that is some freaky shit to me.

Yeah it knocked the wind out of me pretty hard, but luckily I was wearing my leather jacket so it took quite a bit of the force. I was able to pull over and catch my breath. I was more stunned about the fact that I hit a fucking bat than the bat actually hitting me.

How is funding for masters degrees in Canada friend? It's a bit of a hassle in the UK, I'd love to go for one.

In Finland the master's degree is for free.

You don't need to pay any entry fees etc., that's why there are hundreds of foreign students in my small town every year at our university.

Ughhhh...today I had a programming exam. I *know* the material. I always ace the tutorials. But...goddamn it. This is exactly what happened.

3:30: exam begins

3:35: I'm asked to change my place

3:37: I'm asked to move again. My train of thought is destroyed. I restart the first question.

3:40: Professor walks in to read us the third question.

3:42: A drill is being used right outside the door. I am getting very frustrated.

3:45: Professor walks in to read us fourth question. I am still on question one.

3:50: Some asshole from outside goes to the exam proctor and fucking talks as loud as he fucking can about how he hasn't seen him "since 2009". I start to wonder if I'm in an exam or a fucking coffeeshop.

3:55: The asshole is stilll there

4:00: The asshole leaves

4:05: The drilling continues. It is extremely loud. I am incredibly frustrated, and am shaking with anger.

4:10: Proctor takes pity on us and closes the door.

4:15: Professor walks back in, leaves door open, watches us, leaves.

4:20: Drilling finally stops.

4:25: I finally get to the second question.

4:30: Exam ends.

Needless to say I was both angry and, well, crushed. I know this material, but we were never given a chance. Then some kid tells me they "learned to ignore it", to which I wanted to scream and say I didn't want to fail ten fucking years before I "learned" to be able to "ignore" the fact that your professor was allowed to keep moving you in an exam, that there's a fucking drill outside the fucking door and that they keep fucking talking to you when you're supposed to be figuring out how the fuck this convoluted, unusable, piece-of-shit code that could only have come from the bowels of a particularly Jordanian hell and that they threw up on the fucking paper was supposed to work.

I have just had one of the shittiest days of my fucking life. I wouldn't be surprised if I got a zero.

And now I have to do the whole thing again in 12 hours, but this time in a subject I don't know half as well.

I tried today. They said they'd "look into it". I'll just have to wait and see.

Crazy world, I swear. I was so upset I went to bed at 7pm last night.

I saw a guy today wearing an Animal shirt, and I thought of Miffy. Make of that what you will.

Man, considering I've only had that avatar for about a year, that's weird. I guess given the huge influx of people, a large chunk of the community now only knows me by that. Odd that I can just grab a random image from the internet and suddenly it's me, but that the photoshop job I did of an Elebit holding a gun from Gears of War that I used for three years is not remembered at all.

Also, Kroms, that totally sucks. I hope you get an appeal or something. Good luck on your other exams, man.

It was weird. I'd say "Get out more" to myself, but anytime I do, I see Idlethumbs in the real world. Between "Gaymers" beer, "Scoops" ice cream parlor, "Boost" energy drink and chocolate bar and anything else, ever, it's so bad. And great.

It was weird. I'd say "Get out more" to myself, but anytime I do, I see Idlethumbs in the real world. Between "Gaymers" beer, "Scoops" ice cream parlor, "Boost" energy drink and chocolate bar and anything else, ever, it's so bad. And great.

Every single time I see wizard used anywhere in anyway on anything I always think of Idle Thumbs, just today I saw a car with 'Dent Wizard' decals on the side, apparently they are panel beaters.

It got shot down :( "Get used to it."

I've been exercising to work out any stress, so I can study for tomorrow's exam, but I'd be lying if I said this wasn't the biggest "fuck you" I have ever gotten. I'm going to try again after my exam tomorrow.

I stuck this up on my bedroom wall to keep myself motivated: "Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill

And fuck it, I will not be beaten.

Good luck to us all, every single one of us who's posted about their troubles in this thread. I raise my glass to ye.

Edit: Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkk. Now my boss just told me I have to work at 10 am tomorrow. My exam's at 12! And then I'm gonna work the weekend! And visit my old high school! Fuck fuck fuck. FUCK.

This month is not turning out well. I need a comedy and/or crying outlet.

Edited by Kroms

I'm supposed to be closing on a house* today at three (it is 12:50 right now) and I still don't know how much money exactly to bring with me. I am waiting to be told so that I can go to the bank and get a banker's check for the exact amount. I've been waiting for two days now. :deranged: On the upside, I will have a house of my own this afternoon! :tup:

I've been doing all these entirely too bourgeois things lately: getting married, getting a house, a dog, contemplating gardening, joining the home owners association. I actually declared myself a Republican in the Texas primary so that I could try to unseat Rick Perry (that didn't go well). I got a paper that says "Stevan Zivadinovic voted on DATE at PLACE" and there is a huge red stamp over the whole thing that says "REPUBLICAN". This is the first vote I ever cast, what with having become a citizen only last November. It feels weird.

:∫

* "Closing" is the final stage in the extremely technocratic and convoluted process of buying a house in the US, a process that requires a blessing and a ream of bureaucracy from about a dozen different experts: two realtors, general inspection dude, termite inspection dude, electrician, HVAC dude, loan agent, loan underwriter, home owners insurance agent, a couple of people at the title company, some lady at HUD and I am probably forgetting some clerk or other that I didn't actually have to deal with directly.