gdf

Life

Yeah.... probably best to avoid hockey if your not a nut about it, assholes honking horns for 2 hours post game down robson street gets old in about ten minutes. :)

Also, I haven't figured out why they go crackers over it and I grew up here.

I go crackers over it, but the only team I actively hate is the team of the city I live in. Fuck the Calgary Flames. Seriously. It's not really that I hate the team as much as that I'm so much happier when the fans shut the fuck up. Being from the Toronto area before moving here, I'm still a fan of the Maple Leafs that I grew up with. Luckily it turned out that my coworkers are either also transplanted Torontonians who still stick by the Leafs (despite the fact that they're last place in their division this year. Sigh), or don't care about hockey at all. I can revel in my hockey fandom at work and feel perfectly great about it.

As for life stuff, I just finished a 38 page draft of my honours thesis! Graduation has never felt closer! I've been stressing so damn hard the last few weeks trying to combine months of disparate writing into a coherent draft, and I think I got one. Yay!

Today I splurged 500 Euros on this:

2mm%20-%20RED%20DOT%20.jpg

My kendo armour! I have permission to wear it in a couple of weeks, so it was high time. I'm very excited to start wearing it and finally able to participate in a real bout of kendo. I expect to be bruised and beaten up shortly!

Toronto really felt like a metropolis, big city with skyscrapers everywhere in the city centre and all the time new buildings popping up and under construction. Visited the Air Canada Centre and the Hockey Hall of Fame there. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, at least I believe so.

Ahh yes. I guess the thing is when you fall into a routine and pass by a building every single day twice a day, you kind of stop appreciating what you have right under your nose. I should go back and visit it again one day. It's a nice little museum in a nice building (in a nice larger complex. Love the Brookfield Place atrium. RANDOM FACT: the police station for those shitty TekWar TV movies was the bank inside Brookfield, then-BCE, Place.)

an older Canadian woman who gave me a business card from Whitehorse in Yukon. Also one place to visit in the future as that place sounds really fascinating.

I am hoping, hoping, HOPING that I get to visit it and go up the Dempster Highway up to the arctic circle this June. Depends on work and what not. We'll see.

I wouldn't say my life is bad at the moment, but a few weird niggles of my body craping out. Just had to get glasses for my failing eyesight at long range, and my hands are absolutely killing me atm. Arthiritis/RSI is really crapping up my hands atm, I can crack them like cement mixers. I should really get to my doctors soon to see what I can get done.

But hey, life's good, summers coming up!

That's hilarious, I'm from BC and currently in Montreal and the significant sign of age is weirding me out; I better not move to Europe then, lol.

Haha! I grew up in a house that one part of it is nearly 400 years old, so am more at home (badum-tish) with 'age' :)

Today I splurged 500 Euros on this:

My wife tried to talk me into going to a Kendo course in my town.

It's really expensive, but would be fun to try. How much does the courses cost in the Netherlands?

My wife used to practise Kendo when she was younger in Kanagawa so she would propably beat me totally if we went to this course.

The outfit looks really cool. :tup:

Thanks Groucho :)

Kolzig, here in the Netherlands, practicing kendo (apart from the prohibitively expensive armour) is dirt cheap. I pay 20 Euros a month, it's a non-profit organisation of enthusiasts. When I was in LA I was shocked at the price of classes there. It's an insane difference between what my own org and a professional training hall.

So, try to find a local club or something, if you find yourself paying through the nose for 'professional' instruction. (I put professional that way because the Dutch 'enthusiasts' way is by no means less professional only because it doesn't ask for a salary. We have 3rd to 7th Dan instructors who participate and win in international championships of kendo.)

Holy crap, that sounds like a horror story! I had hundred of termites swarm in my bathroom this year during the spring because I left the light on at work (they love light), but it's an apartment so I don't care.

But a swarm of wasps?! Augh, that sounds like a friggin' nightmare!

I once opened my bathroom cupboard to discover a massive mother spider with hundreds of baby spiders fucking everywhere.

I calmly ran out of the bathroom screaming like a little girl and called an exterminator, he was apparently the only good bug guy in the world because he wiped them out.

Did I mention that i'm arachnophobia? Yes, extremely.

Also I once ate a cockroach - is there a 'Grossest Thing You've Ever Done?' thread? If not, someone make one please, I can't because i'm not allowed to yet, stupid forum rules.... grumble grumble grumble :violin:

I once opened my bathroom cupboard to discover a massive mother spider with hundreds of baby spiders fucking everywhere.

I calmly ran out of the bathroom screaming like a little girl and called an exterminator, he was apparently the only good bug guy in the world because he wiped them out.

Did I mention that i'm arachnophobia? Yes, extremely.

Also I once ate a cockroach - is there a 'Grossest Thing You've Ever Done?' thread? If not, someone make one please, I can't because i'm not allowed to yet, stupid forum rules.... grumble grumble grumble :violin:

Dude you read the whole thread??!!!

Wither way have finally got some plans for summer: 2000 trees again it is, being drunk in a field with live music > most things ever. I'm also considering trying out polyphasic sleep, particularly after the guy on the Irrational Podcast mentioned it.

You motherfucker. Lets get this thread to the next page quickly

What a bastard! AAAAAAAAAHHHH!!

(Guess I'm not the only one arachnophobic, then?)

Did I mention that I'm arachnophobic? Yes, extremely.

Were you arachnaphoic before or after you ate a cockroach? Also please explain the circumstances surrounding the eating of the cockroach.

That picture, I may never sleep again.

It was kind of like that except they were crawling everywhere.

I was already arachnophobic, it was reinforced by the experience.

As for the cockroach:

I bought a bag of hard candies, they were black hard candies and they came in a paper bag, you know the ones the put lollies in, and I didn't eat all of them on the first day so I put the bag in the pantry.

Anyway, went to bed, in the morning I grabbed the bag and went to watch TV, so i'm sitting there bag in the right hand, using my left hand to grab candies and shove them straight into my mouth while I put my complete attention on watching TV.

So at some point I must have grabbed a cockroach that was hiding out in the bag and put it in my mouth, and chewed, and swallowed, then I felt something in between my lips, i grabbed it and it was a still twitching leg. I realized what I had done and ran to the toilet and vomited a cockroach.

I hate cockroaches.

Still makes me get that 'about to throw up' feeling even RIGHT NOW as I type this, so wrong.

Thompson that is the most horrible thing I have heard of in several hours.

I was going through my spam folder just in case proper emails might have been put there. I found an invitation to a job interview from late last month. I am not very happy right now.

I bought a bag of hard candies, they were black hard candies and they came in a paper bag, you know the ones the put lollies in, and I didn't eat all of them on the first day so I put the bag in the pantry.

Anyway, went to bed, in the morning I grabbed the bag and went to watch TV, so i'm sitting there bag in the right hand, using my left hand to grab candies and shove them straight into my mouth while I put my complete attention on watching TV.

So at some point I must have grabbed a cockroach that was hiding out in the bag and put it in my mouth, and chewed, and swallowed, then I felt something in between my lips, i grabbed it and it was a still twitching leg. I realized what I had done and ran to the toilet and vomited a cockroach.

I hate cockroaches.

Still makes me get that 'about to throw up' feeling even RIGHT NOW as I type this, so wrong.

Ha! Take that, Mr. Cockroach!

Actually what I mean to say is: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That's horrible.

What a bastard! AAAAAAAAAHHHH!!

(Guess I'm not the only one arachnophobic, then?)

I'm not really arachnophobic, I just don't particularly like bugs. I am swarms-of-things-phobic though.

I didn't know they actually do that. God I hated those guys in HL2.

AAAAGH!

Scrobbs, you are truly on an evil and mischievous streak this week :grin:

I got a mountain bike yesterday. It's not an amazing one, but it is a good one, and it gobbled up ten miles of hills in less than an hour. In the decade since I last rode regularly, the technology has come on amazingly. I think this might be enough to satisfy my craving to hurtle and take my mind off snowboarding for the summer :tup:

My kendo armour! I have permission to wear it in a couple of weeks, so it was high time. I'm very excited to start wearing it and finally able to participate in a real bout of kendo. I expect to be bruised and beaten up shortly!

Awesome! The girl I have been seeing for about a month now does kendo (as well as being a second degree blackbelt in Aikido). Unfortunately for her she is quite petite and none of the armour fits her safely. She is going to have to get some custom made.

She showed me a video of a big martial arts gathering in Greece that her club demo'd in. Really cool stuff, makes me want to get back into my gi. She's off for another one in Japan next month.

She also plays games on iPhone and PSP

Yeah she's awesome.