gdf

Life

I can! I know more than a few idle thumbs are at least competent in French reading comprehension. For our benefit, perhaps?

FFS!!! And again I'm without internet, yesterday starting from the afternoon the connection dropped to a few kbps. In the evening it reached 80% packetloss over a timespan of 3 hours. From 0:00 till 11:00 there was no connection at all. Then it looked fixed, but since 14:00 it was completely broken. For the 1.5 month I've been a customer over 2 weeks I didn't have internet. I'm really starting to lose it. I'm going to write them an angry letter.

I got 15/20 on my recent economics exam. I'm not particularly happy with the mark (75%? Would you buy a game with that average score on full price?). But I wanted to show you guys where three marks went. This question is worth 8 marks (though the prof's decided she doesn't want anyone getting a full mark on it, so I guess the total is 7). I lost 3. I want you to try and solve it. I have copied it exactly, down to the caps.

If you have to think about Scarcity, Choice and factor of production?

What kind of problem you are about? Name it and solve it, in detail

Sometimes I wonder if this is why adventure games appeal so much to me.

Ahaha. Yeah, that seems about right. Back in first year, I took a couple of econ classes in an attempt to keep my options open and feel around for disciplines I enjoyed. I stopped taking econ when the TA's I had for each course only really spoke one language each, and neither was English. One only spoke Japanese, the other only Russian. They made attempts to speak English when teaching, but the class would just look at them in a puzzled way until they put the answer on the board and everyone realized what they were trying to ask us for.

I don't want to come off as a "speak English or get out" kind of person. I'm not. What I do think is that if you're trying to teach a group of people, it's very helpful to speak the same language as them. Econ, calculus, stats, and other courses where there is a decent emphasis on maths all seem to have this issue, as the language of mathematics is so abstract that your first language doesn't really matter. Great for research, bad for teaching.

Haha, I used to have a prof that would always say, "Wecta wii." And everyone would be like, "What the fuck?" It took us a whole damn week to realise he was saying "Vector v". You're right, it does make for some terrible teaching, as brilliant as they may be as researchers.

Due to a mix-up in my life, I had to leave my old university and go back to Jordan, where econ is a mandatory subject (so are Arabic, English, Military Sciences, Social Studies, etc), and start over from first year because my life just sucks that way. The prof does speak Arabic, though in a super heavy Iraqi accent that I don't always understand (it makes for some racism, unfortunately; Jordanians are not very fond of Iraqis, for some very ambiguous "reasons"); but her English? Man. It's like Yoda trying to speak Gaelic. Her notes even make less sense. I think I'll re-write them and stick them on a website when I'm done, just so that any future kids can understand shit and get good grades, but yeah.

Edited by Kroms

If you have to think about Scarcity, Choice and factor of production?

What kind of problem you are about? Name it and solve it, in detail

Bad ce' 'ception. 'an you hear me 'ow?

Oh, and one good thing happened to me. I had a performance review today at the company I've been working for since November. And they still want to keep me, so my permanent contract is now really permanent (as there was any doubt in the first place), I won the tutorial mission. And I received a small pay raise.

I got 15/20 on my recent economics exam. I'm not particularly happy with the mark (75%? Would you buy a game with that average score on full price?). But I wanted to show you guys where three marks went. This question is worth 8 marks (though the prof's decided she doesn't want anyone getting a full mark on it, so I guess the total is 7). I lost 3. I want you to try and solve it. I have copied it exactly, down to the caps.

Sometimes I wonder if this is why adventure games appeal so much to me.

Next time bring Moon People with you and try to copy down few first paragraphs as your answer. It may appeal to your prof.

5r9nBbaOGpefc373LjMwNPado1_500.gif

The literary masterpiece of the 21st century, of course.

So… I can't of course publicize the Mechner interview here before it is published in the magazine, I wanted to send a copy of it via PM to those of you who'd like to read it. For now, it's been commented as a very interesting one so I'm pretty glad it's not just "fanboy talking to the master"

I did a fucklot of research to get questions that not everybody asked him already (even if he went back to some previously given answer).

Why am I saying that and not sending it already ? because it's 3 PM long so if any of you french speaking thumbs would like to read it, I'll gladly send it to you in 3 PMs (and I might translate it for further use ;p)

Oh my god, there's a Moon People 2.

EDIT:

Oh man, I'm so tempted to buy this and hold on to it until one of our English professors retires so I can use it as a present.

Edited by brkl

Today I successfully used my years of experience in adventure games, to decipher a note from the postman to find my package. The form note said "The package has been delivered at your neighbors at number:" and then in hand writing "14 kastje" (kastje being Dutch for small cabinet). And I live in a building with odd numbers 31 to 51. Number 14 is on the other side of the street, and nobody there with a name resembling "kastje".

Below the mailboxes in my building are (unnumbered) cabinets, all with the same lock. The lock needed a square shaped key. Of course I don't have that key, never received it. But, in my inventory I had a beercap opener keychain which had almost the same shape as the key for the lock. So I used the keychain on the lock of the cabinet, and there was my package.

No fake cat moustache though. Inspired by that story, I think I need to start referring to my pockets/backpack as my "inventory."

well, this particular puzzle didn't require a mustache, besides I have my own real mustache

What if life were like interactive fiction?

Me: I'm going to eat some cereal.

Life: Don't you think you'd better pick up the spoon first?

I guess life is like Interactive Fiction, only less obtrusive.

I realize that's a dumb statement. I mean, what would life obtrude upon? But I think you know what I'm saying.

Oh my god, there's a Moon People 2.

EDIT:

Oh man, I'm so tempted to buy this and hold on to it until one of our English professors retires so I can use it as a present.

Oh my, I've just found an interview with that guy.

I apologize for the mistakes in my books. There was a misunderstanding between my publisher and I and I was also having major computer problems and doing to many things at once. I was helping my country with our major problems in 2007, 2008, 2009 and I was writing my books at the same time. This was also the first time I have ever published anything and I was mainly counting on my publisher to see me through the right way. I am currently working with Xlibris to fix the problem.