gdf

Life

After being all over me for a few months, the girl I love and have known for a few years has started shutting me out, but says everything is fine :/

I want to make things work, but it doesn't take large amounts of passive aggression to push me to the point of saying "fess up or fuck off" :(

Gah, that's shitty. ;(

My life's been on a downward spiral for a while now, but I got a real setback yesterday when my parents decided they didn't want me going back to Canada anymore. Looks like I'll be studying where, when you ask a Calculus professor a fairly complex question, he says: "Don't worry about it, it's not on the exam," then gives you a confused look when you persist after class. (Yeah, people here don't give a flying fuck about education. Just pass your exams, get a fairly boring job, get married, smoke yourself to death.) Here the chances of me getting published or having any creative willpower to do anything interesting, in games or otherwise, are going to be snuffed out. This is where my parents tell me off for being on the computer for over an hour...even though I'm a computer science student and need to work on my assignments.

I can't believe what I've done to myself. From being a fairly likable kid with straight a's, a bunch of close friends and a stormy love life to gaining over 110 pounds, getting f's, getting suspended from university and with my closest friends over 5000 miles away (all my home-based friends are gone). I fixed things for a bit but then university decided to suspend me for a year; even though, technically speaking, I can still do the required courses and move on, mum and dad say no.

So much for having dreams. I'm taking comfort in the fact that my talking so feverently about them might've inspired some other Arabic kid to try breaking out of the mold, but it really hurts that I've failed to do so myself. I'm still 20, I suppose...Maybe this is just a setback? I doubt it. I've become majorly pessimistic today.

My life's been on a downward spiral for a while now, but I got a real setback yesterday when my parents decided they didn't want me going back to Canada anymore. Looks like I'll be studying where, when you ask a Calculus professor a fairly complex question, he says: "Don't worry about it, it's not on the exam," then gives you a confused look when you persist after class. (Yeah, people here don't give a flying fuck about education. Just pass your exams, get a fairly boring job, get married, smoke yourself to death.) Here the chances of me getting published or having any creative willpower to do anything interesting, in games or otherwise, are going to be snuffed out. This is where my parents tell me off for being on the computer for over an hour...even though I'm a computer science student and need to work on my assignments.

I can't believe what I've done to myself. From being a fairly likable kid with straight a's, a bunch of close friends and a stormy love life to gaining over 110 pounds, getting f's, getting suspended from university and with my closest friends over 5000 miles away (all my home-based friends are gone). I fixed things for a bit but then university decided to suspend me for a year; even though, technically speaking, I can still do the required courses and move on, mum and dad say no.

So much for having dreams. I'm taking comfort in the fact that my talking so feverently about them might've inspired some other Arabic kid to try breaking out of the mold, but it really hurts that I've failed to do so myself. I'm still 20, I suppose...Maybe this is just a setback? I doubt it. I've become majorly pessimistic today.

That sucks, do you know if you can go back to uni at a later date? say a year or so later than now? Did you get suspended for a specific reason?

Whatever happens I hope it all goes well.

Just pass your exams, get a fairly boring job, get married, smoke yourself to death.

I think there's already a lot of hope for you in the fact that you see this.

I think there's already a lot of hope for you in the fact that you see this.

I don't know, I personally have always seen the boring job thing looming on the horizon and I got one anyway. It's not quite the boring job I was expecting, but it's hardly contributing much to me as a person. It's fine, but I think that might be part of the problem: it's not objectionable enough to ditch, so in my complacency I just get on with it. To be honest, I don't think I'm really equipped for much else, though, so there you go.

Not to bring you down, Kroms. You sound like a much more driven and focused than I am.

Hating things can give you a really solid block to kick off from. That was the sense I meant it in. My brother and I were growing up to drift, until a bunch of really hateful and existentially troubling stuff came to a head. It's not that our jobs now are especially brilliant, but we're doing things a damn sight better than what we seemed destined for in our teens.

Also, the people I've met in crap jobs are motivation. Asking someone how long they've worked in petrol stations for BP, and seeing their eyes glaze over as they say "nine years". Temping in a factory, meeting someone who'd been working there for 20 years on a production line putting scones in packaging, and asking "Have you never even wanted to be a supervisor or something?" "Oh God no! I wouldn't want the responsibility". Don't do this to yourselves!

Goddamn man, that's brutal. On the plus side, like you say, you're 20. You've got a lot of time to pull shit together. If you were most of the way through a degree, you can go back and wrap it up in a year or two. I'm not sure how things worked at (I believe?) Waterloo, but where I'm at you can leave your program for a couple of years and come back without it hurting your progress. Here's hoping you can pull that off. Along with everybody else, I think that the fact that you see what could happen to you otherwise is hopeful and a good motivator for keeping that shit from happening. If you're not too dependent financially, ignoring mum and dad and just finishing your courses and moving on may be the way to go. I don't know your situation of course, but if you think obeying them would significantly harm your future, it may be best to disobey them and hope that they'll come around when things work out better for you. Whatever you choose to do man, good luck.

And really, isn't Audrey Hepburn exactly who we should all be looking to when our lives take a bad turn?

Hey, thanks for the support guys. The initial shock's worn off and I'm back to working hard again, trying to get back in shape, studying, writing Simpsons episodes for practice in my free time, etc. Kneejerk "My life is over" reaction is gone :)

This thread should be called the "hey you're new, spill your guts" thread.

I'm 25, about to get divorced from my first marriage have a 20 month-old daughter I see bi-weekly and it all falling apart is generally the work of my own hands. But I find places like this idle distractions from the greater shittiness of it all. And when I see my daughter.

Well just to add something positive to the thread, I'm going on a date tomorrow for the first time in about five years. My love life just stopped existing in my late teens for some reason so it's a good feeling to have it suddenly resuscitated.

I'm almost certain she's not a psycho either, which is nice.

Well just to add something positive to the thread, I'm going on a date tomorrow for the first time in about five years. My love life just stopped existing in my late teens for some reason so it's a good feeling to have it suddenly resuscitated.

I'm almost certain she's not a psycho either, which is nice.

Yeah positivity! Optimism!

I just bought an '84 Honda Nighthawk and am looking to get it insured, after which I will spend the rest of the summer driving it absolutely everywhere and enjoying the freedom of owning my first vehicle (I am 24).

Good luck with the date, try not to act like it's been five years. :mock:

Tomorrow, we're going to the zoo. Everyone who's also been feeling fairly shitty lately should get up early tomorrow and declare, "Fuck it, I'm going to the zoo too!" And then do so immediately. :yep:

Tomorrow, we're going to the zoo. Everyone who's also been feeling fairly shitty lately should get up early tomorrow and declare, "Fuck it, I'm going to the zoo too!" And then do so immediately. :yep:

Man, I don't want to piss all over your parade, but last time I went to the zoo to chase away my blues—with its shabby, tired-looking animals, its screaming children, and irritated parents with strollers squeezing down and up paths that are clearly labeled as not for strollers, outflanking other irritated parents with strollers—it depressed the shit out of me and made me feel worse. ;(

Yeah, I can see that being an issue with zoos. We're lucky enough to have one of the best in the world (apparently) not too far away, I guess.

Last time I went to the zoo my friends and I went around making inappropriate jokes and taking photos of us pointing at and giving thumbs up to the animals, particularly the giraffes. Sadly the gibbons were hiding. Gibbons are my favourite zoo animals. They have ball-and-socket joints in their wrists. True story.

Yeah, I can see that being an issue with zoos. We're lucky enough to have one of the best in the world (apparently) not too far away, I guess.

Longleat? I remember it being pretty good when I was a kid.

Sadly the gibbons were hiding. Gibbons are my favourite zoo animals. They have ball-and-socket joints in their wrists. True story.

I am a committed gibbon fancier also; they have a big rope across their island (yes, they have their own island!) at the zoo we're going to today, and they like to dangle from it like pegged-out washing and people-watch. It is ace.

From the archive:

2557441265_95aff9ebd9.jpg

Longleat? I remember it being pretty good when I was a kid.

Not today (the monkeys are shut, apparently). We're going to Bristol Zoo this morning!

I'm back from LA! The ThunderPeel2001 shaped holes in your lives is about to get refilled... Lucky you!

I had an awesome trip, saw friends I hadn't seen in years and really enjoyed their company. I do love LA. I also went to the Twin Peaks Festival in North Bend, Washington, which was a ton of fun, too.

Now it's back to the grind... :fart:

I know this is trivial compared to depression and divorce but fuck me, I have a nest of yellow jacket wasps in my attic that will not go away. I had an exterminator out once already but apparently that guy is terrible at his job because they're still here, between the loud cell-phone-on-vibrate style buzzing of the queen milling around in my ceiling and the general stratching and grawing sounds of the wasps chewing through my drywall, I feel like I'm living in a goddamn Edgar Allen Poe story. I haven't gotten a good night's sleep in two weeks.

Fuck you nature, with your stupid ecosystem!

I know this is trivial compared to depression and divorce but fuck me, I have a nest of yellow jacket wasps in my attic that will not go away. I had an exterminator out once already but apparently that guy is terrible at his job because they're still here, between the loud cell-phone-on-vibrate style buzzing of the queen milling around in my ceiling and the general stratching and grawing sounds of the wasps chewing through my drywall, I feel like I'm living in a goddamn Edgar Allen Poe story. I haven't gotten a good night's sleep in two weeks.

Fuck you nature, with your stupid ecosystem!

I fucking hate wasps, so sympathise with you. We had a nest in a wall 2 years ago, woke up in the morning... opened the bathroom door... Thousands of fucking wasps, its fucking horrible. Again we had an exterminator out, but they didn't all die, so had to get them out again. I finally filled in the tiny hole they made in the spring.

Fuck wasps.

I fucking hate wasps, so sympathise with you. We had a nest in a wall 2 years ago, woke up in the morning... opened the bathroom door... Thousands of fucking wasps, its fucking horrible. Again we had an exterminator out, but they didn't all die, so had to get them out again. I finally filled in the tiny hole they made in the spring.

Fuck wasps.

Holy crap, that sounds like a horror story! I had hundred of termites swarm in my bathroom this year during the spring because I left the light on at work (they love light), but it's an apartment so I don't care.

But a swarm of wasps?! Augh, that sounds like a friggin' nightmare!

Wasps are evil fucking pieces of shit.

Today, I found out my 14 month old sister understands high fives

:tup:

God I hate Terminator 2...

What?! implausible!

The you must really detest Terminator 3, and we would need to invent a new word just to describe how you would feel about Terminator Salvation.