Jake

A League of their Legends?

I played HoN and my god that was terrible. Not the game but the people playing the game. I had two guys just yelling at my over voice chat the whole game because I didn't get a spell they wanted me to get then followed by the guy calling me "garbage brah".

HoN

Literally the worst experience online I ever had and I grew up at the birth of the internet during the 90s. Never have I see such vile people and built in game options to completely destroy someone new.

The original thumbs mentioned it and pretty much had the same experience. I didn't even give the keys they sent out to me to anyone and because of it, I consider myself a hero.

Yeah, the HoN community is really, REALLY bad... and entirely secular. It's like they don't want anyone new to actually join them, which is hilarious because obviously that would be bad for the developer and it would also ensure that your community whittles down that much more quickly to those last 500-1000 doods who are really, really into it and will play something for the rest of their lives no matter what. (Every competitive online game has those 500-1000 doods, no matter how old it is)

It makes sense given that HoN is a much more direct sequel to DotA in terms of the mechanics and design- (I can't figure out the item synthesis system and multiple shops/availability at all!) I get the impression that a lot of the elite DotA players tried LoL and didn't like the fact that it works a BIT differently and is very pared down/streamlined in a lot of ways. It's more noob friendly in design as well as community.

Thus far LoL has been a much better experience than HoN for me, but I'm biased having played much more of the former and being of a mind to root for the original creators of the genre. I'm also still pretty weaksauce at it, and the community might wear more asses on their heads at higher ELO (skill ranks) of play...

My friend played it yesterday for the first time. He used matchmaking, played a little, then got yelled at by the other players until he left. It was quite bizarre. My friend seemed to defend the reaction saying that it's like any gaming community, but that the people you play with have such a huge influence on what kind of game you'll have that they act like pricks if you join as a newbie? I wasn't really sure about any of that.

By "it" I'm going to assume you mean HoN and not LoL... though LoL also has the usual nimrodss that you find in every online game, just not an unusual percentage of them from my perspective.

As for the general game model, it does have overlapping positive reinforcement mechanics that encourage people to blame things on teammates, yeah...

The most impactful element would be that if you get killed repeatedly early on your opponents get gold and experience that can be used to outpace the rest of your team while you're down and out. It's commonly referred to as "feeding" or you'll hear someone say that an opponent "is fed".

As a beginner in that genre my main piece of advise that applies no matter what character you're playing or whatever is to play defensively/cautiously until you get the hang of it- Just staying alive and being a threatening presence is actually enough to help your team win games as long as someone else is putting some pressure on them while minimizing risk.

Is anyone playing this still? I picked it up last night and stayed up till 3 am playing! I can add that the community seemed pretty good. I got called a noob a few times, but it was petty light hearted:)

If anyone has any good tips or online guides i'd love to hear them. The tutorial was nice, but it didn't prepare me at all for playing against people.

Been playing this for a while now, but only recently started to really enjoy it.

Sticking to the same champ every game really helps, even though I still have the urge to just randomly pick one to try, in which case I have no idea about tactics or item builds and suck pretty badly ^^

some of the champion guides on http://www.leaguecraft.com/ are tremendously helpful, I got a lot better when I went there instead of just buying the recommended items listed in the game itself

Oh ,I've become a dedicated follower of LoL since posting last. It's so

much fun!

I've been playing 7-8 games a week or so, very fun.

I finally hit level 21 last week and can now access the level 3 runes, I had a bunch of points saved up to buy em with but then I got stalled trying to find some rune and mastery builds that work well for a couple different champions since I dont have a huge bank of points.

My 'main' guy is Dr.Mundo, he's great in the 3v3 matches so I play them mostly... He doesn't use mana, and I like tanky sorts of characters so I might go with Shen as an alt.

My summoner name is: Zataar

I take it you are onthe US server Floordje?

I'm "dibster" on the EU server.

Yeah I assume it's the US server as I'm up in Canada, I'll try and add you next time I go on and we'll see what happens.