ThunderPeel2001

Brütal Legend overload...!

Hmph. Worst DLC ever...

The Brütal Legend Tears of the Hextadon map pack expands the Brütal Legend Stage Battle multiplayer experience with two new multiplayer maps. In the first map, Circle of Tears, vile waters have carved a rough-hewn circular battlefield into a forsaken land that players must circumvent to destroy their opponent. In the second map, Death's Fjord, players find themselves on an icy mountain pass with a dense cluster of fans that lie below, waiting to be harvested by those brave enough to capture them without cover from enemy attack. All players who download the new map pack will receive a free axe, the Blade of Ormagöden.

“I play Brütal Legend online every night,” said Tim Schafer, President of Double Fine Productions. “And I need more maps! Circle of Tears is named after the crying of my vanquished foes on the battlefield, and Death’s Fjord is obviously a tribute to my Nordic ancestors, and their love of fan geysers and… Well, actually I just thought the name was cool. See you online!"

I thought they were going to add stories that expanded the world and the "lore"... You know, the parts of the game that really worked.

I can't believe I've finished with Brutal Legend already... GTA lasted me months.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

GASP! So Brutal Legend is about Elvis? :hah:

I kinda wish you could choose the difficulty of different aspects and not on the whole game in general....

I'm playing on "gentle" and I've only died by falling off a cliff, but I have to play on this mode since it's so generous with the music playing.... I can do the other songs fine, but the fan one? :frusty:

It took me a while to realize that on gentle it's better to miss a button than to hit the wrong one... I think I only got half of the notes right once and I still got the Merch thing built!:eek:

Still I think it's perfect since I'm trying to get into RTS, this a step about Pikmin and Overload, but a step below... which ever is the next step?:erm:

I did wish the map told you what you've already found so you can atleast who where not to look for jumps or relics...

I can't believe I've finished with Brutal Legend already... GTA lasted me months.

That's a pretty extreme example. I don't know if I'm really shit or something, but I've literally been regularly playing GTA4 since it came out, and after dozens of hours I'm still only at like 58%. :fart:

Most current-gen games last me 10–20 hours though, including Brutal Legend of which I'm at 15 hours and have just gotten past the dry ice mines. To be honest it doesn't seem as short as people were making out.

Not sure on my hourage (I should check) but I just don't feel I can be bothered to unleash all the hidden dragons just to get 100%. I don't know... I just wanted more.

Not sure on my hourage (I should check) but I just don't feel I can be bothered to unleash all the hidden dragons just to get 100%. I don't know... I just wanted more.

I'm not saying the game is short, I just would have liked the story to be better, but yeah theres this huge world and I was kind of hoping for more adventures, a lot of that "second island" is very linear, or at least thats how I played it.

But its probably best it left me wanting more, I think the last 20 hours of GTA I was like "UGH, just get me to the f@#$Ing end already"

Hmph. Worst DLC ever...

I thought they were going to add stories that expanded the world and the "lore"... You know, the parts of the game that really worked.

Ugh, I hate multiplayer DLC that isn't free. Not that I hate paying for DLC but multiplayer DLC that's sold always seems like a good way to split up the playerbase. That's what always seemed to happen to the Battlefield games anyway.

Free on PSN. As I still don't have it, this is certainly pushing me towards the PS3 version. Come on, Microsoft, you can lose the $5 a sale for all the goodwill and extra copies it would have given you.

Ugh, I hate multiplayer DLC that isn't free.

This isn't anywhere near as heinous as Capcom charging for the RE5 multiplayer or Bungie requiring its players to spend $30 on maps or $60 on ODST to continue playing ranked slayer matches. Unranked matches remained free and rankings were pretty broken anyway, but come on...

I'll probably buy it anyway just to support Double Fine. :gershman:

This isn't anywhere near as heinous as Capcom charging for the RE5 multiplayer or Bungie requiring its players to spend $30 on maps or $60 on ODST to continue playing ranked slayer matches. Unranked matches remained free and rankings were pretty broken anyway, but come on...

I'll probably buy it anyway just to support Double Fine. :gershman:

Oh yeah, I'm probably going to buy it too even though I have yet to play an online match (but will soon). I just don't like what it does to the community. I don't really see most people buying it but who knows, I don't even know how strong the online community is for Brutal Legend.

I don't really see most people buying it but who knows, I don't even know how strong the online community is for Brutal Legend.

It's not very strong, sadly. It took me a good while for the system to find me someone to play with both times I tried... I can't see this helping any :(

Can someone please tell me what "clambake" means? This is the second Schafer game I've seen a character say it! Slang dictionary says it's about getting high, but... that doesn't make sense in the context it was said (driving, racing).

This is a very good question. For a while I thought it had something to do with Scientology but now I just don't know...

http://www.xenu.net/

Talking with more people about Brutal Legend and I'm really surprised how many people really hate this game.

One of my friends basically tried it for ten minutes past the demo and threw it on ebay because he felt he was swindled with the demo. And yeah, the whole "what kind of game is this" thing was a bit weird, but I don't know how you can give someone a basic brawler and then say "hey look at theis entire fucking world to explore with multiple game types" and get pissed off by that.

So yeah, I know the game didn't do everything amazingly well, but I really enjoyed what was there and hope they refine what they have on a sequel someday, but to outright hate the game, I don't get it.

As for the DLC, yeah, maps do nothing for me, I'd pay for horse armor(paint jobs and shit) before I'd pay for a map I don't really need.... that doesn't make much sense does it? But more adventures would be awesome, but will never happen as it's expensive

About to finish it again on Brutal (thankfully the unlocked concept art carries over), I'm still having a feeling similar to when I first played Half-Life 2. Basically, I've been looking forward to the game for so long and know they've been working on it for so long... is this it?

I remember the Art of Half-Life 2 having all sorts of stuff that never came close to making the final game and feeling a bit jipped by that because... really? every evil soldier I fight has nearly the exact same uniform on? What happened to the little vinyl-clad ninja assassin chicks from the first one... what happened to the alien food cycle where the bullshark would fight the headcrab before he'd fight me, what happened to that amazing initial E3 video action... It took a decent amount of time before I lost all of that baggage and accepted the game for what it was.

With Legend, I have very similar thoughts regarding the length of the single player story and the variety of secondary missions. They had like 5 years right? They couldn't come up with more than 5 ideas for secondary missions? They couldn't do more than 3 full-out stage battles in single player? They couldn't develop the war between human and tainted coil a little further?

But then again, all of this stuff... kinda seems intentional. So it is what it is. I still think the story is pretty great and clearly the world itself is amazing... Just a shame it's hitting a vague dead zone where the gameplay is too complicated for brawler fans and not deep enough for RTS fans.

One of my friends basically tried it for ten minutes past the demo and threw it on ebay because he felt he was swindled with the demo. And yeah, the whole "what kind of game is this" thing was a bit weird, but I don't know how you can give someone a basic brawler and then say "hey look at theis entire fucking world to explore with multiple game types" and get pissed off by that.

I think that makes perfect sense, brawlers are pretty much all about simple mindless fun. An open world with strategy elements, that's a bit more mentally taxing. It's kinda like if Geometry Wars turned into a game of Sim City five minutes in, there's nothing wrong with Sim City, but when you're expecting Geometry Wars it's a real disappointment.

I remember the Art of Half-Life 2 having all sorts of stuff that never came close to making the final game and feeling a bit jipped by that because... really? every evil soldier I fight has nearly the exact same uniform on? What happened to the little vinyl-clad ninja assassin chicks from the first one... what happened to the alien food cycle where the bullshark would fight the headcrab before he'd fight me, what happened to that amazing initial E3 video action... It took a decent amount of time before I lost all of that baggage and accepted the game for what it was.

I still feel that way about Half-Life 2

I was never very good at strategy games. I figured with Brutal Legend, it'd be strategy-lite™, but it's really kicking my ass. I'm not sure how much I'm enjoying it and I'm also not sure if I'll ever be able to power through and finish it.

Not to mention that, in a lot of areas, it feels really rough around the edges.

I was never very good at strategy games. I figured with Brutal Legend, it'd be strategy-lite™, but it's really kicking my ass. I'm not sure how much I'm enjoying it and I'm also not sure if I'll ever be able to power through and finish it.

I got my ass handed to me when I tried the dry ice mines on Brutal. I tried it again and realized my mistake. It's all about aggression with the AI. Keep pushing ahead and demolish the AI's merch stands as fast as possible, don't be afraid of swooping in and killing dudes whenever possible. If you sit back and try to build up your army before making a push forward, the AI will beat you down. When I tried it again doing a quick push, I won easily.

Also, don't forget about your Call of the Wild solo. Nothing like a Hextadon helping you out

It's funny, I despised Half Life because of all the reviews I read talking about how amazingly indepth it was. How you could interact with EVERYTHING. How the story was so incredible... And really, none of that that was true. Sure I could use the coke machine and the twist about the soldiers attacking you was nice, but it fell far, far short of the praise heaped upon it and so I was massively let down. (It was my first PC shooter.)

Now I've played Half Life 2, and I found it very slick and very cool. Definitely adding more personality and charm than the first one had. But I also came at it from the point of view of a sequel to a game I hated (and everyone else loved). To me, it's a pretty awesome game.

I wonder if Brutal Legend might be the same...? Those who weren't expecting it might be blown away, but the rest of us disappointed because of how much we loved Schafer's other games.

Out of Brutal Legend and Psychonauts... I gotta pick Psychonauts.

Out of Brutal Legend and Psychonauts... I gotta pick Psychonauts.

Well, yeah, thats a given. I love brutal legend, but yeah it doesn't stack up well against his other titles, but against other games, it doesn't pretty well in my books.

Wow you liked Hl2 more then Hl1? I mean it was cool, but it hought Hl1 had so much more atmosphere that wasn't staged/forced feeling. Also, bullsharks, I forgot about those

Just finished the main storyline on Brutal ... the difficult part was the Dry Ice thingy because, contrary to all the other battles, there's always some a part of the level you can't see. That made me go into full RTS mode (flying around, ordering different units to different points), which proved unsuccessful and frustrating ...

Anyway, once I got past that part, I rolled everything in one go; including the final fight which was ridicuslouly underwhelming. I loved the last two RTS sequences though, if only because there was a point in developing the full tech tree and get the Rock Crusher, which was so fun to use. Thus I guess my gripes should be more about the level design than about the game design, but still ... some infos are still badly (never?) delivered to the player and I still maintain that we should be left with less to do.

In retrospect, I must say that the story - which I expected to be, in the worst scenario, the saving grace of the game - was disappointing both in terms of content and structure : in the end, it is yet another typical fantasy story. There is no twist to the genre's codes, and aside from the dialog, there's no clue it's been penned by the same writer who also delivered Psychonauts and Grim Fandango. I though the roadie vantage point would bring something to it, but it didn't;(

The background was pretty good but it was unimaginatively conveyed (diaries ? again ?) and poorly integrated in the main storyline. It also didn't come up as a context for any of the the secondary missions and that was disappointing.

I still enjoyed the game since the aesthetic was awesome and moving around was spot on , and I'm kind of confident about Doublefine's future : despite the letter, I picture Schafer as someone who could take feedback into account and be critical about the design decisions taken on BL .... and the GPP and technical guys at DoubleFine are obviously up there since they nailed the basicsbig titles usually suck at (camera and controls, feedbacks) and implemented the RTS design perfectly. As long as DF have them,that they make a faster rendering engine and the game designers do a proper postmrtem, the company is bound to make an awesome next title.

I started playing multiplayer battles against the AI, playing for te first time with Tainted Coil, and it's amazing fun. Well, sure, I play on the gentlest setting, and the feeling of fun I have is now mainly of seeing all the cool Coil units interacting (the Warfather is so cool) and not so much of any challenge, but it's great. I love getting all the achievements and doing double teams. The double teams are much cooler than with Ironheade! Really, that Pain Lifter double team kicks ass!

It's funny, I despised Half Life because of all the reviews I read talking about how amazingly indepth it was. How you could interact with EVERYTHING. How the story was so incredible... And really, none of that that was true. Sure I could use the coke machine and the twist about the soldiers attacking you was nice, but it fell far, far short of the praise heaped upon it and so I was massively let down. (It was my first PC shooter.)

I had that experience with Duke Nukem 3D. Yay i can talk to strippers and flush urinals. I kinda see that "interactivity" as unfortunate historical relics in Half-Life. maybe things they felt pressed to put in just because it was the soup du jour.

I got my ass handed to me when I tried the dry ice mines on Brutal. I tried it again and realized my mistake. It's all about aggression with the AI. Keep pushing ahead and demolish the AI's merch stands as fast as possible, don't be afraid of swooping in and killing dudes whenever possible. If you sit back and try to build up your army before making a push forward, the AI will beat you down. When I tried it again doing a quick push, I won easily.

Also, don't forget about your Call of the Wild solo. Nothing like a Hextadon helping you out

Thanks, I'll try that. I haven't touched it yet, since my last post. Coincidentally, dry ice mines is where I was as well.

I finally beat the game and played online (I got 6 degrees of Schafer even!)...

But online sucks... I blame in their servers though... I kept losing connection every 5 minutes! :(

As for the game... They really need to make a better map... I was lucky enough to get all the dragon thingies, but I missed a jump and buried metal... The doesn't have to tell me where they are, but it should tell me what I've already done! Imagine the poor bastard who is missing ONE dragon serpent thing and has to go ALL around the land going over each of them until he find the one he missed!

As for the story....

How come Eddie doesn't realize who he is after reading the legend of his birth? It doesn't make sense to unlock this legend and not have Eddie go... "$%&@! What have I done!?" they should have left this legend to be unlocked after the game.

So.. Ophelia spent three month in a sea of tears and not only is she alive, but she didn't even prune a bit?

I know the whole thing is about how Eddie is a roadie and roadie should go unnoticed but.... not only did he DO EVERYTHING, but he was the guy who rode the Hextadon into battle, summoned a fiery blimp to destroy everything and had big leathery wing.... How could anybody NOT notice him?

Eddie rides off and Ophelia cries a black tear from the sea... What's up with that? Schafer doesn't do sequels, so I doubt it was a hint for a sequel... Besides Eddie said he was coming back... Why was she crying in the first place?

To sum it up, the game was great even though the ending confuzzled me...

It make me appreciate Metal more, there was only one song I didn't like... (Not including the one that they sing at the begging), Schafer once again managed to create a unique and new world to explore, where the map needed a bit of more work, I only wish you can't the difficulty on different things...

The only thing that gave me trouble in the game was playing music... I didn't get the hang of the Fan Tribute until the final battle! Fortunately on Gentle you can miss 50% of the notes as long as they aren't in a row and you can still get the song right!

I really wanted to try the strategy on a higher level of difficulty, the only battle that game me trouble was the antepenultimate one, but only because the game doesn't bother to explain which troops are good against others and the new troop I encounters seems to kill ALL of my troops with ease, except for bolt car one...

I know most of this must have been discussed before, but... I can't help to wonder how much did Jack Black influence in the game.. I wonder if him or Scafer are not 100% satisfied with the game...

The closest thing I've played to an RTS is Pikmin or Overlord, so Brutal Legend seemed like the perfect step stone to go into PC RTS games?:erm:

Anyway, I'll shut up now...;(

Haven't read this thread for a while, but I just got the game. It's in some ways better than I expected and in some ways worse. I played about 4 hours and the game already says I've completed 30% :( Ok, I knew it was short but I already want it to be longer. I love being in that world, but on the other hand many aspects of the game seem shallow, which is not usual for a Schafer game, but understandable I guess, given that the world is rather big and they didn't have GTA budget.