ThunderPeel2001

Brütal Legend overload...!

Totally agree about the exploration... listening to the recent podcast and apparently I haven't even begun to play the game, but I'm hours and hours in. I even woke up at 4 this morning to play the damn thing. But I don't know if it was weather, or the area I was in, there was this crazy night sky that was different from the other ones I've seen so far, but it was like stormy meteor night in the background with lighting... it was amazing.

Side question though, I'm amazed at the menu art for the back stories and power ups. I can't find a screenshot, but its a little like this concept http://cdn.brutallegend.net/media/brutal_legend_20090507140029-609x456.jpg

Just wondering, but there is there a specific art style this is called? I realize the character look is mostly from the concept artist, but just the representation of the bnw ink look is very bold and iconic that I'm sure there is a name for that style, I just don't know it. (I ask because I would like to find more of it from other artists)

Side question though, I'm amazed at the menu art for the back stories and power ups. I can't find a screenshot, but its a little like this concept http://cdn.brutallegend.net/media/brutal_legend_20090507140029-609x456.jpg

Just wondering, but there is there a specific art style this is called? I realize the character look is mostly from the concept artist, but just the representation of the bnw ink look is very bold and iconic that I'm sure there is a name for that style, I just don't know it. (I ask because I would like to find more of it from other artists)

It's called woodcut, basically a carved wooden ink stamp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodcut

Right... I can't handle this thread anymore until I've played Brutal Legend A LOT.

(Please hurry up, Mr. Postman)

Yeah, same here, mine should arrive tomorrow, it all depends on the royal mail, but it should be good, particularly as its 1st class recorded.

But I don't know if it was weather, or the area I was in, there was this crazy night sky that was different from the other ones I've seen so far, but it was like stormy meteor night in the background with lighting... it was amazing.

That part blew me away. I just thought, of course it would rain down sulfar and fire in this world.

My expectations had been tempered by some of the reviews, but the three hours I've spent on the game so far has been a blast. I think I was sold when the guy at the Game Crazy gave me a Brutal Legend album sleeve because I had pre-ordered it. Normally I rush home to play a game, but instead I sat in the parking lot and stared at this record sleeve. At that moment, It seemed guaranteed I would love the game. How could I not love a game in which so much obvious love had been poured?

I've been loving it so far. I'm not as far as most of you I'd imagine having only just met Lemmy, but every aspect of the experience has been thoroughly enjoyable up to this point.

This is basically exactly why we like Schafer: brilliant characters, amazing worlds, and writing that hooks you.

I mean I've just been walking around in awe of the world, which is something I've not really done before even with games that have environments on a similar scale — clearly down to the incredible art direction and use of the engine to manipulate the lighting and whatnot in the most epic ways ever.

Like the big fuck-off volcanoes, which aren't even the most amazing of landmarks in the game. God man, when I first came over a hill and saw that illuminating the sky with a deep orange glow and its gigantic plume of smoke going into the sky which happened to be full of electrified meteors and insane clouds, and then noticed the beam of light that acts as your waypoint is actually load of godly stage lights... :woohoo:

Thought I'd give the demo a try, and was pleased when right out of the gate, there was a nod to Psychonauts. The little squeaking dance that the guitarist was doing on the stage setting is the same dance one of the kids in Psychonauts does (unless it was a reference to an even earlier game that I don't know about). It sounds like they brought Raz's voice actor over, as well.

Bah. Gamestop was sold out when I went to get it. Apparently they did one of those "only getting preorders in" things that they love so much. Thing is, it's also a $70 game, which I consider fucking ridiculous. I have yet to pay that much for a game that didn't at least come with a bobblehead or something. Gonna wait til next paycheque now and then check Amazon I guess. That gives me a week and a half (during which time I have 4 papers due, so it's probably for the best I'm less distracted than I could be) to decide which version to purchase. I'll be following for any news of Thumb multiplayer, and if there's a lack of it, probably going for the PS3 version. I really do prefer it for most multiplatform games. Don't even know why.

Bah. Gamestop was sold out when I went to get it. Apparently they did one of those "only getting preorders in" things that they love so much. Thing is, it's also a $70 game, which I consider fucking ridiculous. I have yet to pay that much for a game that didn't at least come with a bobblehead or something. Gonna wait til next paycheque now and then check Amazon I guess. That gives me a week and a half (during which time I have 4 papers due, so it's probably for the best I'm less distracted than I could be) to decide which version to purchase. I'll be following for any news of Thumb multiplayer, and if there's a lack of it, probably going for the PS3 version. I really do prefer it for most multiplatform games. Don't even know why.

I'm guessing that the americans and canadians use less online ordering than those in the UK and the rest of Europe. Is this to do with your postal service or are the prices the same online as they are on the High street. If so that really sucks, seeing as I will rarely pay more than £30-£35 for any game (unless it's a special edition which is good). Where I payed £35 which is roughly $53.

Yeah it was $70 in Canada, whereas Uncharted was $60 (and hey our dollar is higher then the US yesterday!)

But after playing it some more, I think it was worth the $70 easily. It has some flaws and its kind of this weird mishmash of gameplay, but I think just because of the world and everything together, it's probably my favorite game so far this year.

A lot of the little quibbles I had about talking with characters and stuff is still kind of limited, but theres a lot more as you go along, so that's super cool.

Edit:

I think I was sold when the guy at the Game Crazy gave me a Brutal Legend album sleeve because I had pre-ordered it.

Holy crap can you post a picture of that? Sounds awesome.

Edited by Murdoc

I'll be following for any news of Thumb multiplayer, and if there's a lack of it, probably going for the PS3 version. I really do prefer it for most multiplatform games. Don't even know why.

Well you'll have the opportunity to play multiplayer with me then, potentially, as that's the system I get most multiplatform games on too :)

Holy crap can you post a picture of that? Sounds awesome.

Here go. It's basically the title screen, and I'm considering finding a price sticker to put on the top of it so that it matches. I wonder who the artist is. It reminds me of artists like Boris Vallejo, Frank Frazetta, and Richard Corben which I'm sure is entirely intentional. It is about a quarter of an inch shorter when I put it against some real vinyl albums, but it still looks nice.

Thinking about the game, I find myself impressed by the frequency of the underpass. These were the places where I first encountered things like the anarchy symbol and pentagram and when caught one of my guys spray painting the wall of one, it was a great touch.

post-2513-13375603168504_thumb.jpg

post-2513-13375603170335_thumb.jpg

post-2513-1337560317212_thumb.jpg

Goddamit, I just rage quitted the game after having reset the first battle mission 3 times in a row because I got "out of the battling area". If you're going it put a warning message, display it so that I can actually prevent myself from doing so, even when I'm in the Killmaster bike.:(.

There's a lot of things to say about what's wrong (stuttering framerate for instance) or not perfect (yet another game who goes from corridor to full open world too hastly; I wish I could deactivate all the gamey screen (achievements, win/loose, help)), but it does have the best atmosphere and the best feeling of authorship and personality I've had in a game in a looooooooonnng while. Kudos to the environment artists, the scripters and the music director for making the world so amazing to roam through.

And so far, the changes in gameplay are akin to what Schafer's offered in adventure game : same basic mechanism but completely unique interactions; I know it's not going to last, but so far that's one of the highlight of the experience.

I'm haven't gotten far into the game at all yet, but so far Brutal Legend has made two big impressions on me.

1. The art on this game is amazing. Typically I don't go in for the whole heavy metal album cover thing, but the stylization being done in this game is just so appealing I can't help but enjoy it.

2. Unskippable cutscenes; how is it in this day and age there are still games with unskippable cutscenes!?

it all depends on the royal mail

Oh man, I love it when you guys say super British things (it's the best!) The above sounds like a 1973 Kinks lyric...or one of the fake commercials from The Who Sell Out

Oh man, I love it when you guys say super British things (it's the best!) The above sounds like a 1973 Kinks lyric...or one of the fake commercials from The Who Sell Out

Your women love it too :tup:. Sorry, I'm not.

Really looking forward to this game, hopefully it's arrived. Also what the fuck since when did they not mention anything about the RTS element, I've known about it pretty much as soon as I heard of the game.

Does anyone know how much UK stores are selling it for?

I asked at Gamestation the other day and was quoted £40-45, since when did games get more expensive on release date? I always though games tend to be £35-40 on release.

Does anyone know how much UK stores are selling it for?

I asked at Gamestation the other day and was quoted £40-45, since when did games get more expensive on release date? I always though games tend to be £35-40 on release.

cheapest i have found (and paid for) brutal legend is just under £35 (shopto online). For game I have been told that their new games are usually £5 more than the price listed on their site.

I'd love to know what's going on with game's prices, I finally upgraded my pc to play games on it and all of a sudden pc games go up in price! Red Faction : Guerilla is £39.99 in HMV and Batman's not far behind.

Your women love it too :tup:. Sorry, I'm not.

Really looking forward to this game, hopefully it's arrived. Also what the fuck since when did they not mention anything about the RTS element, I've known about it pretty much as soon as I heard of the game.

My impression was that it applied only to the multiplayer battles.

Either way, sound's like it works well.

About halfway through, maybe a bit further, and I'm starting to really dig the stage battles. Once you wrap your mind around what it is, it's pretty fun. Looking forward to mastering the nuances even more!

I'd love to know what's going on with game's prices, I finally upgraded my pc to play games on it and all of a sudden pc games go up in price! Red Faction : Guerilla is £39.99 in HMV and Batman's not far behind.

Reccession? Plus HMV are overpriced for everything bar special offers.

Played a few more hours; the RTS part looks more like DotA to me, but where DotA didn't ask you to direct the critters, Brutal Legend does and it makes playing tedious and difficult.

I really get a kick out of this phases when I manage to get the proper flow between doing recon in the air, sending your troops at different positions and doing the dirty job yourself - when it pull that off, the feeling is quite unique and awesome; but that usually happens only once I've already gained - by chance or not really knowing why, the upper hand in the battle.

Before that, pff ...the troop management is chore (I tend to forget I need to replenish my troops), and I wish the flag thing was automatic (i.e. new units are either sent to you or the 'hottest' position) or that the 'heavenly light would only stick to towers, fan geyser and gates. In fact, it would be awesome if you could choose to delegate most of this stuff to Mangus, since he's already warning me of incoming troops, tower attack, etc .... that wouldn't change the gameplay fundamentally - Riggs would still be a general and would still get to brawl - but it would make those parts really memorable and less frustrating.

All quite true. Is there any difference in singleplayer enemy AI between the difficulty levels? I'm playing on Brütal and so far it's pretty doable. I get the feeling the Squealer races are a bit harder (perhaps a different ghost is used?), and enemies are tougher. But I don't know the other differences.

Also, I'm curious if there's already something to say about how well the game is selling. Anybody any hot news on it?