ThunderPeel2001

Brütal Legend overload...!

Holy shit, I should be playing this (to an extent) when I get home tonight. :mock:

Lucky sobs. I have to wait for the general release of the demo. in a week I think?

download 9% complete! I cannot contain my exhilarating antici...........

pation!

God damn. The game looks and plays great — can’t wait for the final product more than ever now. :(

It's a short demo, only really serving as a tutorial. Still, it took me 30–45 minutes to get through and it covers up to and includes the fight with the massive vagina thing. It doesn't really give the story time to get properly started though, only really covering Eddie's elongated "WTF?" reaction.

Impressed, though. Only the hack-and-slash and the driving gameplay is shown, but both feel solid as fuck. Double Fine generally seems very good at pulling off foreign genres — Psychonauts handled really well as a platformer despite being new territory for like all the developers — which bodes well for the more advanced group/RTS stuff that isn't included in the demo.

It's actually a lot generally prettier and polished than I expected too, which is weird as I've been looking at media for months. The close-ups of Eddie and such are brilliant on a HD TV, and the environment art like the crazy storm shit going on while you're in your car looks amazing. Even the main menu of all things is slick as a twat.

God damn. The game looks and plays great — can’t wait for the final product more than ever now. :(

It's a short demo, only really serving as a tutorial. Still, it took me 30–45 minutes to get through and it covers up to and includes the fight with the massive vagina thing. It doesn't really give the story time to get properly started though, only really covering Eddie's elongated "WTF?" reaction.

Impressed, though. Only the hack-and-slash and the driving gameplay is shown, but both feel solid as fuck. Double Fine generally seems very good at pulling off foreign genres — Psychonauts handled really well as a platformer despite being new territory for like all the developers — which bodes well for the more advanced group/RTS stuff that isn't included in the demo.

It's actually a lot generally prettier and polished than I expected too, which is weird as I've been looking at media for months. The close-ups of Eddie and such are brilliant on a HD TV, and the environment art like the crazy storm shit going on while you're in your car looks amazing. Even the main menu of all things is slick as a twat.

Couldn't agree more. I love the main menu, felt solid in both the riding and fighting gameplay (could still use a jump button though) and was the short demo very much succeeded in psyching me up to OMG levels.

And the Kabbage Boy guitarist was doing the Raz dance. so awesome.

One of the biggest surprises for me was Jack Black's voice acting being pretty quiet and not at all his jack-when-he's-worked-up voice. All of his little one-off thoughts were awesome and funny. I can only hope that the game remains this slick as it grows in scope. More than once I stopped what I was doing just to marvel at how awesome the art design in the terrain was.

gah a whole month!!!

The bestest game in the world, especially for you, castorp
Fuckedy-fuck, I really don't want an Xbox360, I like my old'n'slow PC, narrows down choice, makes me play less in general, but more interesting indie stuff, and that is good for my money, my time and my mind (I tell myself). But you guys make it sound like I would totally love it, and I adore Tim Schafer's games, and it looks like so much fun. Damn, if there isn't a sign of a PC-Version in half a year I do have to buy an Xbox.

Stupid Tim Schafer.

Haha. For what it's worth, going off my stats there're a lot of people coming via the Google term 'Brutal Legend PC'. I'd imagine EA have noticed the same thing, so you never know. :~

At least there's some demand. Depends how much of a pain in the arse it'd be for them to port, but the engine must be somewhat flexible seeing as it's on both the 360 and PS3.

And yeah man, I totally agree about the voice acting. I've seen quite a few people trashing Jack Black while talking about Brutal Legend, which pisses me off because he's a genuinely great voice actor (see also: Kung Fu Panda). I die a little inside when I see people saying they're not buying it because they hate Jack Black.

Edited by Thrik

I thought the demo was weak. It's so short and limited it doesn't give you a chance to see what the game is like.

Having attack on A is weird too but the game seems smooth and funny.

I thought the demo was weak. It's so short and limited it doesn't give you a chance to see what the game is like.

Having attack on A is weird too but the game seems smooth and funny.

Ooh dear... that sounds like the Psychonauts demo! Eek!

Still, anybody prepared to hand over a download code? :grin: (Or are they one use only?)

Single use I think.

It's a real shame, the movies show there's so much more to the game but the demo is already 1.5Gb so maybe they had to cut it short

Is there really no jump button? I guess the Heavy Metal Zelda comparisons were more accurate than I expected...

Does it feel restrictive in the demo? I was honestly expecting a fair bit of platforming exploration, this is an interesting development.

It didn't feel restrictive for me in the demo, but yeah it's hard to say without seeing more of the world. The demo is basically a drawn-out tutorial, so it completely guides you down a linear route and teaches you moves as you go.

With that said, the demo doesn't teach you everything — only the basics of attacking, focusing (totally like Zelda), and a few special moves. I also noticed that moves don't seem to be available until they're taught to you, so it may be Y or something ends up being used for jumping, or at least climbing.

We know Eddie will be able to fly, so it does seem weird he can't jump. But then I love Zelda and Fable 2, and the lack of a jump in those doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Incidentally, I'd say Zelda and Fable 2 are definitely games that Brutal Legend feels striking similar to gameplay-wise. Obviously this doesn't include the more advanced group and strategic stuff that comes later, but the general combat and split between brute force (axe) and magic (guitar) is very similar.

Incidentally, I'd say Zelda and Fable are definitely games that Brutal Legend feels striking similar to gameplay-wise. Obviously this doesn't include the more advanced group and strategic stuff that comes later, but the general combat and split between brute force (axe) and magic (guitar) is very similar.

Ahh! That's really interesting. I can totally see the Fable-ness now. I really need to play this so badly... :( I've entered every competition I can find that might give me a free code. I've yet to win -*sniff*

GameStop have a note on the order page that says they won't allow you to cancel once the codes have been distributed, however I guess being in the UK if you really refused to pay up it's unlikely you'd get any legal recourse.

You know GAME were doing codes for the UK though, right? Also the official Brutal Legend Twitter feed gave like 150 out last night. Looks like both are unavailable now sadly. ;(

GameStop have a note on the order page that says they won't allow you to cancel once the codes have been distributed, however I guess being in the UK if you really refused to pay up it's unlikely you'd get any legal recourse.

You know GAME were doing codes for the UK though, right? Also the official Brutal Legend Twitter feed gave like 150 out last night. Looks like both are unavailable now sadly. ;(

Oh dear lord ;( What have I done?

I think I accidentally the whole pre-order. Seriously.

You adverbed the pre-order?

I think I accidentally the whole pre-order. Seriously.
The whole thing!?

This is probably an old topic but kind of disappointed they went down the route of the early demo preorder bonus. Obviously right now I am wishing I had pre-ordered as I am definitely buying the game when it comes out anyways, but in general I don't pre-order unless I think/know the game will run out of stock (WoW WotLK most recently). In any case, I already played a demo at E3, not sure if it was the same one and I didn't play the whole thing since people were waiting behind me but it had both hack and slash and driving levels.

Edited by Moelman

They're giving away codes on Facebook right now (and possibly other places).

Thank goodness - GameStop cancelled my order! I was thinking it was going to be a long drawn out argument, but they did it without question. *phew!*

Agreed. It's your classic Psychonauts situation: The game is most likely amazingly awesome, but you won't get that from just the first bit... Plus the demo is extremely short. I think I completed it in about 15 mins.

I always find it difficult to immediately appreciate something I've been anticipating for a long time...

Thoughts: Holy crap this is a beautifully slick game! I loved the menu screen, the animation, the music, the acting... Only the horrible "Loading" word spoiled a flawlessly smooth presentation.

Jack Black is NOT Jack Black... he's definitely Eddie Riggs, which is actually kind of cool, but something I'm going to have to adjust to.

The character does very little to ingratiate himself with the player... Sure he's "cool", but he's a little full of himself... I'm not sure if I totally like him yet (which is perfectly fine).

The gameplay is something that's immediately familiar, and yet I can't quite put my finger on where from. It's more "arcadey" than Fable.

I guess it's a typical Schafer experience: You're interested in this new world, but you're still not quite sure what to expect, but inevitably you end up loving it.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001