Sign in to follow this  
miffy495

DSi, or: I am a Nintendo whore.

So yeah, the DSi is out on Sunday in North America and I've preordered one. The fact that my Lite is banged up almost beyond recognition at this point and the promise of downloadable games (the Wiiware and Virtual Console are easily the most played things on my Wii) for the DS has me hooked. I'm excited for the downloadable WarioWare game that they're going to have available day 1, as it's using the camera and WarioWare is the one series I always use to benchmark and justify new tech from Nintendo. The DS hadn't been proven til WarioWare Touched and the Wii until Shake It. Whatever this one is called (Snapped, I think?) it will be how I judge the gaming merits of the DSi's camera.

Anyone else considering one? I don't think I've seen any reaction to the DSi at all from the Thumbs community yet, so what are people thinking about it? As I said, if it weren't for the fact that my Lite has taken such a beating of late, I probably wouldn't be in any hurry to upgrade. Is anyone going to be joining me in the latest iteration (rather than generation. I don't really think it's fair to call Nintendo systems "generations" anymore.) of Nintendo portables?

Not really. I haven't used my DS as much as I did a few years ago.

I guess I'm not traveling enough these days, because I've played my DS probably once in the last year to play the new Castlevania. I have a ton of games I need to play on it, but my console backlog is bad enough.

So no DSi plans for me.

Well, my DS lite is now my Dad's DS lite, so I'll be picking one up. Won't be picking it up at launch though. Finals + DSi = FAIL ... literally. :) I'll get one (if they're not out of stock) late April.

I'm excited about the idea of DSiWare, although I'd be more excited if us indies were allowed to develop for it. But really, I'm just picking up a DSi for all the awesome new DS games I haven't played yet ... GTA: Chinatown Wars just came in the mail, and I've got Bangai-O and Henry Hatsworth ordered on Amazon.

The bigger question: black or blue? I'm going for the latter ... I'm not quite sure why, but I kinda like the sea blue colour. Maybe it's because I'm sick of all my black and white hardware.

Mo

Blue for myself as well. Picked up Chinatown Wars, but am saving it for Sunday to christen the new system with.

Yeah, I don't use my existing one often enough to be excited about the DSi, and my lite is still in good condition too. The only way I'd upgrade is if they did something really interesting that utilises the camera.

$200 Canadian. I think something like $180 USD, which is about $50 more than a Lite, if I'm not mistaken. My DS is definitely my most played system, so I'm actually getting quite excited to see what they've done with it.

My ds lite is still in very good condition, and I only play it a couple of hours every few weeks. Also considering that, even though WLAN is probably usable this time, it can't be used for older games. Which is a real shame.

About a year ago the calibration on my original DS went way out of alignment with very little in the way of getting it back on track. Because of this some games are near impossible to play and I'd been thinking about getting a Lite for sometime. When I get some money and when they decide to release it inlime green (:tup:) I'll probably pick one up.

My DS has been getting a lot more use lately thanks to a long train commute every day and it'll likely continue for the next few months. Been mostly back on the Civilization Revolutions bandwagon (a very small bandwagon it seems) but there's a bunch of games on DS I'm looking forward to playing.

The DSi? Not right now. IF they get a proper Virtual Console service on there and add Gameboy Golf, Link's Awakening, Wario Land, etc. and maybe even some Neo Geo Pocket games, I'd be all over it. As it stands right now, a couple of DS Ware games aren't enough to make me fork over for the upgrade.

I play my DS all the time (still my favorite system of the current generation, and certainly the one with the best library) but I have no interest in upgrading. I like my GBA backwards compatibility.

I still have an old DS that works fine. I guess I'll probably end up buying a DSi in approximately 3 years.

Weirdly enough, the one thing that irks me the most about making a new version of the DSi without the GBA slot is that there is a certain unlockable in Warioware Touched that requires you to plug Warioware Twisted into the GBA slot.

Laaaaaaaaaame.

This also sort of happened when a few Ubisoft Gameboy Color games required the stupid infrared transmitter to unlock bonus levels. Also the Zelda Oracle series required the infrared to easily get rings, but also had exclusive content found only when played on a Gameboy Advance. So confusing.

I preordered one so I can play Mario & Fucking Luigi 3 and the next Phoenix Wright game. Also, I want to play some more Ouendan!

The DSi is interesting, but I'm put off by the fact that only new games will support WPA wifi connections. I'll likely wait to buy one until they've dropped in price or increased in value (DSi-exclusive games). The buttons on my original DS (not Lite) are not nearly as responsive as they once were, and I've grown jealous of others' larger, brighter DS Lite screens.

Then again, the iPod touch is pretty cool.

Got mine today, and I love it. I expected the photo and sound shit to be shit, but it was actually pretty well done. Real-time distortion stuff is pretty cool.

And I finished the last Ouendan! song on second difficulty.

Good to hear. I'm excited to grab mine Sunday afternoon. Coincidentally, Ouendan was how I christened my Lite a couple years ago when I got it.

EDIT: Just sent it off with a fitting tribute as well. On Sunday I started a replay of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, which I completed about 3 minutes ago. Good job, little imported Lite. You've served me well, but scribbling on your banged up screen during the boss battle made me realize just how damaged you've become. A salute, and farewell to a well-loved little piece of tech. You now go on the shelf next to the virtual boy, a place of honour.

Edited by miffy495

Did you buy anything from the DSi shop yet or are you holding out for some kind of Virtual Console magic?

Is that kind of thing happening by the way, a portable VC library? Or is it just WiiWare type stuff? I kind of lost track about the whole thing

There are rumours, but nothing confirmed for a portable VC. They give you 1000 DSi points with the system, so I'll be spending some of those on the camera-enabled Warioware tomorrow. Probably will save the rest to see what they have to offer.

If they introduce a proper VC on there then I'll DEFINITELY be buying this. The thought of being able to play Metroid II and whatever else on it is enough to give Nintendo all of my money right now.

Surely this is pretty much a given eventually though, right? With the new SD card support, ease of transfer and phenomenal success of the VC on the Wii, it's surely in Nintendo's best interests to do this.

It's in my hands. Unfortunately, I have to run out the door in about 15 minutes. Hopefully I'll be able to say something real about it tomorrow night. The blue sure is pretty though...

I got access to the shop last night and tried Ware Ware: Snap! or whatever the hell it's called. It was pretty lame, but the fucking ridiculous snapshot mix stuff at the end makes it all worthwhile. Of all the things I consider awesome, this must be the stupidest.

I had some trouble getting Snapped! to work, so I'll need to try it again with some better lighting. If you have 500 points left over though, I need to recommend Art Style: Aquia. Such a bloody addictive little puzzler. Elements of Bejeweled and Meteos combined with it's own original twists. Get it.

Oh jesus, I think I'm going to throw up:

Ru2EMvowmbjYTWpP.large

Look at what they did!