ThunderPeel2001

Books, books, books...

Interesting stuff. What have you learned so far?

Frederick douglass was not very supportive on lincoln during the early years of his presidency, because Lincoln was very moderate about the issue of slavery, he was not for immediate abolishment like some of the more radical members of his party.

The original Republican party was created from mostly former members of the Whig party, some more moderate anti slavery democrats, abolitionists, and anti immigrant party called the liberty party haha, quite a mix of people.

The funny thing about the liberty party, was that they were staunch abolitionists, but HATED immigrants and christians. Talk about a weird set a beliefs.

Lincoln succeeded politically mainly from his down to earth demeanor and speech rhetoric. At first glance many of his rivals brushed him off as some country bumpkin, but he proved his intelligence to the doubters time and time again. in his speeches he used a lot of metaphors the common man could understand, and he knew exactly what he was doing

Frederick douglass was not very supportive on lincoln during the early years of his presidency, because Lincoln was very moderate about the issue of slavery, he was not for immediate abolishment like some of the more radical members of his party.

The original Republican party was created from mostly former members of the Whig party, some more moderate anti slavery democrats, abolitionists, and anti immigrant party called the liberty party haha, quite a mix of people.

The funny thing about the liberty party, was that they were staunch abolitionists, but HATED immigrants and christians. Talk about a weird set a beliefs.

Lincoln succeeded politically mainly from his down to earth demeanor and speech rhetoric. At first glance many of his rivals brushed him off as some country bumpkin, but he proved his intelligence to the doubters time and time again. in his speeches he used a lot of metaphors the common man could understand, and he knew exactly what he was doing

Wow, that's pretty cool stuff. There were some weird parties being created at that time, like the "Know Nothing" party (who, according to Shittypedia) were terrified of Catholics. Sounds like a very interesting book.

I'm working on Team of Rivals by francis kearns goodwin, biography of lincoln and his cabinet, focusing on the lives of those other men and their interactions with lincoln before, during, and after the civil war. Lots of great info about the cabinet's decisions during the war, some good, some bad. Also a lot of history about the beginnings of the republican party and the shifting attitudes during the abolitionist movement.

I read that, it was really good! (Also it's Doris, not Francis)

Wow, that's pretty cool stuff. There were some weird parties being created at that time, like the "Know Nothing" party (who, according to Shittypedia) were terrified of Catholics. Sounds like a very interesting book.

Yea the Know Nothing party is actually the liberty party, they changed their name to Liberty when they actually decided to put forth a presidential canidate.

Can anyone suggest an interesting (and preferably good) novel that has something to do with archeology? It can be pretty light on actual archeology since my sister already studies the field. The book would be for her birthday.

Or perhaps something anthropology related...

Try this Nappi...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/88063.Origins_Reconsidered_In_Search_of_What_Makes_Us_Human

The Leakey family have been giants in human anthropology.

like the "Know Nothing" party (who, according to Shittypedia) were terrified of Catholics.

That's only because most Catholics were dirty immigrants, not "natives" like them...

I've started reading The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds. It's a sci-fi novel, and that's all I'm going to say about it. It starts out slow, but has been building up steam and is getting progressively more interesting. RECCOMENDEDEDDD!!!

A warning, though: DO NOT READ THE COVER SLIP, IT GIVES AWAY EVERYTHING.

Does anyone use Audible around here? I have three credits banked and I'm about to go on a roadtrip, so any suggestions would be lovely.

I'm guessing it's an audiobook service? I always highly recommend The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The reading by Douglas Adams himself is great, but if they have the radio series, I highly recommend that.

I'm guessing it's an audiobook service? I always highly recommend The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The reading by Douglas Adams himself is great, but if they have the radio series, I highly recommend that.

Ah, yes, Audible is the Amazon-owned audiobook service that seems to get the lion's share of business here in the states. Also, thanks for the recommendation! I never actually checked out that series for some terrible reason, so this is a great excuse to finally get to it.

Ah, you are definitely missing out. I would actually recommend all of Adams's work. I know that Jake video games Rodkin is a fan of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, and Last Chance to See is particularly brilliant in the way it manages to take a serious topic such as animal extinction and makes it hilarious.

"Sadly, however, it seems that not only has the kakapo forgotten how to fly, but it has also forgotten that it has forgotten how to fly."

Unfortunately, the large majority of books I've read lately are non-fiction, so I can only recommend those, but 'An Innocent Anthropologist' by Nigel Barley is brilliant - it's about a man studying the Dowayo tribe in Africa, and some of his anecdotes are truly brilliant. Also, Blink: The Power of Thinking without Thinking is another very interesting title.

But yeah. Douglas Adams. You owe it to yourself :)

Paul Auster's The Brooklyn Follies was :tmeh:. Something didn't feel right about the way it was written. Might have been partly due to the Finnish translation, though. I'm currently reading Kotona Maailmankaikkeudessa (Home at the Universe) by Finnish astronomer Esko Valtaoja and listening to Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (and brilliantly performed).

I thought I might try reading some sci-fi next. What would you recommend? I have enjoyed things like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Sirens of Titan, Moon (movie), Sunshine (movie) and Mass Effects. I didn't like Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles or Philip K. Dick's Martian Time-Slip too much. And I really don't care about humans fighting alien savages in some planet to save a princess or something. Some modern classic maybe?

The only science-fiction books I've read are 2001: A Space Odyssey and A Clockwork Orange, both of which I can recommend, with the knowledge that:

1. 2001 has offended people who hate evolution;

2. A Clockwork Orange is pretty violent.

They're both good, though. :)

The only science-fiction books I've read are 2001: A Space Odyssey and A Clockwork Orange, both of which I can recommend, with the knowledge that:

1. 2001 has offended people who hate evolution;

2. A Clockwork Orange is pretty violent.

They're both good, though. :)

Is it purely coincidental that both are Kubrick movies?

Is it purely coincidental that both are Kubrick movies?

Nope. :)

Though it's led me to take an interest in science fiction. I have a few Arthur C. Clarke novels on my shelf that I haven't read yet, for example.

If you're going down the Sci-Fi route, I'd recommend anything by Christopher Priest.

I've loved everything I've read by the guy so far, but The Prestige is a definite favourite. As with most things, it's much better than the film adaptation.

If you're going down the Sci-Fi route, I'd recommend anything by Christopher Priest.

I've loved everything I've read by the guy so far, but The Prestige is a definite favourite. As with most things, it's much better than the film adaptation.

What is the next best thing? I have seen the movie and knowing the "twist" I'm not sure if I can be bothered to read the book too. Unless it happens really early on or something...

What is the next best thing? I have seen the movie and knowing the "twist" I'm not sure if I can be bothered to read the book too. Unless it happens really early on or something...

The "twist" in the film isn't really the twist in the book, and the two stories differ. The book has sections occuring in a comtemporary setting involving descendants of both Angier and Borden, whilst the story of the two magicians is told through diaries. Angiers trick is revealed about halfway through the book although you don't learn the true extend of things until the very end (more than is revealed in the film). Personally, I'd still recommend reading it but can understand your reservations having already seen the film.

Other books by him I'd recommend are The Extremes or The Affirmation, although I'd probably lean slightly more towards The Extremes.

Nappi, I asked a sci fi-loving friend of mine for recommendations and he told me to mention Richard Morgan (Altered Carbon) or any short story collection by Charles Stross (some of which you can read online).

Nappi, I asked a sci fi-loving friend of mine for recommendations and he told me to mention Richard Morgan (Altered Carbon) or any short story collection by Charles Stross (some of which you can read online).

I had a drink with Richard Morgan, seemed like a genuinely nice chap -- still haven't read any of his books, though!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I really appreciate it!

Seems like, I'll have to look into this some more. The Prestige and 2001: A Space Odyssey intrigue me the most at this point. Perhaps I will get Altered Carbon, as well. How is Stanislaw Lem's Solaris? It sounds interesting.