brkl

I think you'll love this -- Pepsi design strategy

Let's just all not forget that with Pepsi, the emotive forces shape the gestalt of the brand identity.

Creating a trajectory into the future.

But seriously, what else does Pepsi have going for it. It IS just a brand and nothing more. Fizzy brown liquid and a logo. I bet they're really clutching at straws looking at ways to "reinvent" themselves once again.

Well everyone knows when you pick a brand of soda that you love to drink in front of your friends outside after school on the chain link fence, carefully holding the can so you can nonchalantly flash the logo of your specific radical choice, you are expressing what an original take-no-shit individual you are. Express yourself.

Well everyone knows when you pick a brand of soda that you love to drink in front of your friends outside after school on the chain link fence, carefully holding the can so you can nonchalantly flash the logo of your specific radical choice, you are expressing what an original take-no-shit individual you are. Express yourself.

Indeed, I find a 35 degree angle yields the best results :tup:

You just reminded me of this, I wonder how many people do remember this

"HEY look ! Apple did that pure design shit, and the web 2.0, facebook ahead is pushing it further, they all go to simple and empty and zen and healthy life and shit, let's do the same"

That, to me, really comes from the fact that now, graphic designers work in a computer-enriched program activity world where they look at the web for new print design inspiration, another example:

SNCF_logo.jpg

Sure you could find it sweet and whatnot but hey, on the portico of a fucking train station you just can't read it form more than a yard away, and in black and white on paper it's just hideous...

And there is no doubt to me: the tropicana rebottling was sold with some "zen attitude bare feet to communicate my energy to the earth in my gigantic empty loft" with a bit of "when I drink tropicana, it just goes right through me and gets me moist" arguments, you make it zen you make it pure you just remove everything and bullshit the hell out of the marketing people at pepsi telling them you've done so much researching by slideshowing them a bunch of renaissance paintings and pepsi universe crap.

Sad world, but hey, video games

There is plenty of this crap around. Take a look at the London 2012 logo costing over £50k.

The Pepsi bottle looks like crap, but then it doesn't taste much better in all honesty.

What, Coke tastes better to you? It's just about what you're used to. Don't think you're any less a victim of brands.

God... Are they really going to plaster that on every new bottle (and I don't mean the buttcrack). It's so horrible...

But essentially, leg:torso length and arm:forearm, if either of those were disproportioned it wouldn't necessarily disgust you, but the lack of "aesthetical symmetry" would throw you off a bit to notice.

Just to go back to this ever so briefly, what you are talking about there is just things being in expected proportion. These particular lengths may or may not be in the golden ratio but that's irrelevant, what's important is whether or not they deviate from that. If I was sufficiently familiar with, say, orangutans, whose limbs are not in the same proportions as ours, I would likely have the exact same "that doesn't look right" reaction to an abnormally proportioned orangutan as a would to an abnormally proportioned human.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say that it isn't a good rough guide. What I'm trying to say is that the golden ratio happens to fall within a range that people find visually appealing but that correlation does not mean the two are linked. It irks me when people refer specifically to the golden ratio in this context because it implies authority and scientific understanding on the subject that the speaker doesn't have. Which is exactly what the author of the document was aiming for in an attempt to justify their doubtless exorbitant fee.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say that it isn't a good rough guide. What I'm trying to say is that the golden ratio happens to fall within a range that people find visually appealing but that correlation does not mean the two are linked. It irks me when people refer specifically to the golden ratio in this context because it implies authority and scientific understanding on the subject that the speaker doesn't have. Which is exactly what the author of the document was aiming for in an attempt to justify their doubtless exorbitant fee.

I agree with what you said. But, I do feel there is a bit of an overblown authoritarian end all be all mentality when it comes to phi and that which is related to it. But then again, the nerd-ish part of me views works done with that ratio in mind intensely appealing because I'm deeply enamored by unrealistic mathematical proportioned artwork.

I would like to pose the question of, is it possible that there is an interwoven correlation between the golden ration and the uncanny valley effect? They essentially aim for a perfect representation of human, but yet they fail on their way there. That idea just came to me while reflecting on your thoughts.