Sign in to follow this  
Alex P

Peter Molyneux: Games to have Godfather-quality storytelling by 2016

Speaking in the latest issue of Edge, Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux’s predicted “Godfather” levels of storytelling in games by 2016.

“We’re starting to realize our uniqueness, and that we’ve got the ability to do things that no other medium has had before”, he said.

“I think by 2016 we’re going to have a truly amazing story, which will be cited as the equivalent of ‘The Godfather’ on film.

It's going to happen on October 17 at 2:32 PM. Mark it down.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/03/20/molyneux-games-to-have-godfather-quality-storytelling-by-2016/

I think the real question should be, when are we going to have our Citizen Kane-quality storytelling?

Even Molyneux compares games to film? This needs to stop. I know it provides context for the masses, but fuck that. If we only aspire to the best that another medium can offer, where does that leave us?

Also, I want more ridiculous claims already. Like, how long before a game can make my coccyx tingle? These are things I need to know.

Well, it's true that games don't have that structure that says, "Oh, this story can only be told through a game." I think the only game that does that fully is Metal Gear Solid 2, as flawed as it is, and there are elements of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, but that's about it. I think if a game cracked that, or figured out how to tell a story like Citizen Kane or Magnificent Ambersons, we'll be set. The closest thing are adventure games, but even those aren't close enough.

Not that I want games to become like movies. Movies have died, and are largely irrelevant now. You have two extremes: one that won't watch it if it isn't playing at the multiplex (the Transformers-obsessive crowd) and one that won't watch anything that isn't profound and pretends they understand the niche films that maestros make.

I'm lucky enough to be one of the few people who came across those little films that struck the balance - last year it was In Bruges, Let the Right One In, Wendy and Lucy, etc. But Hollywood films, and thus the films that most people see, are largely irrelevant, so I hope games never degrade to that point.

1 year too late for the PS3.

Why do people keep pulling these dates out of their ass? do they need an excuse why their current creations are crap?

Holy :scary::scary::scary:

I was startled on Facebook when a friend of mine made that face in a picture, unwitting of its implications.

I think the real question should be, when are we going to have our Citizen Kane-quality storytelling?

Only if they have some silly lady giggling at giraffe shadow puppets.

HEY FUCKERS HEAVEY RAIN COMES OUT THIS YEARS IN 2009!!!

Here's hoping for the "epic fail!" :tup: