Chris

Idle Thumbs 23: At the Mountains of Money

Finally!

"At the Mountains of Money"

You lie on the ground, the last breaths leaving your body as you look up into the glowing, burlap sack-wrapped eyeholes of the man who ended your life. As voices recede and the world drifts away, you realize your dying thought will be "I wish I'd spent the 99 cents on that rocket launcher," and are disappointed.

Games Discussed: Merchants of Brooklyn, Resident Evil 5, Team Fortress 2, Diablo III, Puffins: Island Adventure

minipod_itunes.png

minipod_rss.png

Concerning mod-ability of games. It becomes less because games become more complex.

Depending on which approach you take with making things mod-able (open up the game, add mod-hooks, build the game around (like LBP)). The first approach is the easiest, but it requires you to expose things you might not want to have exposed. The second approach requires quite some additional work during development, and often results in not having enough hooks or hooks at the right places to do "interesting" things. Of course the first option also suffers a bit from that (due to hardcoding of certain things). The last option requires a lot of effort to get your game even started, but it also reduces the ability to do various things in the game (until you add various dirty hacks).

But there is also an other issue brewing. Most of the current mod-able games expose way more power than mod-able games exposed 10 years ago. But still it's not enough for various people. They want to do ridiculous thing X and Y which usually require core engine access.

But the other reasons why games can not always be modded:

- user contributed boobs

- cheating

- extends the life of the game, thus preventing people from buying Game N+1

But the other reasons why games can not always be modded:

- user contributed boobs

You say that as though it's a bad thing. :getmecoat In all seriousness, couldn't they add a "Modifications not rated by the ESRB" the same way they do with online games?

You say that as though it's a bad thing. :getmecoat In all seriousness, couldn't they add a "Modifications not rated by the ESRB" the same way they do with online games?

I didn't say that any of those reasons was a bad thing.

I formally put forth a motion to officially append Jake Rodkin's name to "Jake 'Puffin' Rodkin."

That is surprising that Ray Parker still makes that much money from the ghostbusters theme. Wonder how much Huey lewis got from him.

I also want to say that I'm glad someone else had the same reaction I did when I saw the offer for the rocket launcher at the iPhone3.0 launch.

Though I'm not sure if this means the iPod Touch/iPhone is a true gaming platform, or is dead as a gaming platform.

Cutting off the Wizard (WIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD) is not cool.

Jake's puffin voice reminded me of Jollo from King's Quest 6. Man, it's been so long since I've played that game.

Podcast? More like funny cast. The test robot voice was fucking awesome. DO MORE TEST ROBOT VOICE!!!

Is a puffin like a puffed up muffin? Whatever that means... In any case, I would really like to know what a puffin looks or tastes like.

Forgive my ignorance.

Cutting off the Wizard (WIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD) is not cool.

Not cool?! It made me laugh so suddenly and so hard my chest hurt.

Another thoroughly entertaining episode. Thank you very much, gentlemen! :tup:

Is a puffin like a puffed up muffin? Whatever that means... In any case, I would really like to know what a puffin looks or tastes like.

Forgive my ignorance.

This week's title art includes a puffin. The puffin, in fact, from the cereal box Majesco has licensed.

Not cool?! It made me laugh so suddenly and so hard my chest hurt.

Yes, it was a brilliant, unexpected and hilarious twist!

This week's title art includes a puffin. The puffin, in fact, from the cereal box Majesco has licensed.

It's a bird you eat for breakfast?

Oh I knew puffin was a bird. I just thought puffin was also some kinda bakery product as well.

EDIT: I just realized that "it" was a puffin (the bird) branded cereal. Puffins is just a brand name and not something you can eat. Well... :shifty: For some reason all this while, I was thinking of a muffin or a pastry of some sort.

Edited by Scratch

I nearly shat myself laughing at "PUFFINTH!"

Jolly good work, my fine fellows.

Puffins is just a brand name and not something you can eat.

I one time saw an educational video about how people in Iceland capture and eat puffins. I learned a lot.

:puffins:

^please replace with an emoticon, admins :yep:

All of his enemies try to snuff him! So he beats them like a puffin! Yaaaay, Raz!!!

Remo, if you really want those TF2 achievements to get the new guns, not only are there special servers where the maps are designed to make it easy to grind (like you talked about), but there's also servers you just join, type a chat command and instantly get granted all the achievements.

It's convenient if you just want all the cool guns. I have no idea if this violates some TOS or anything though, I've only seen someone else do it (I don't play TF2).