Sign in to follow this  
T-Matt

The Beatles Game

Hmmm... I don't recall that people wanted stuff for nothing in the past, I see it as a zeitgeist shift:

For the whole duration of human history you were what you had to be, that is to say as a vast majority of people were not nomadic in any way, they stayed where they were born and did what they could do.

Bandits and Pirates always existed but they lived by that, by the fact that they were a minority, same thing for inventors and great mind, travelers and free thinkers, they were so few that in fact, you could tell anything about religion and it'd still have worked "hey the earth is flat" "well, I hardly know what the earth is, and the nearest town is 3 month from here, so yep, why not."

Then after the renaissance, you could get the stats, life expectancy went up slowly, as people lived longer than 40, they could ask themselves why...

Then I'll skip a bit cause I'm not teaching you anything and it's not a History class but basically, after WW2, people got pretty tired of being told what to do, and the massive exodus towards cities of the middle of the XIXe century got accentuated by transportations improvements and people started to want to be something else. We are the "follow your dreams" "if you try hard, anything can happen" and "with efforts you could be what YOU want to be" generation, sons of hippies and free thinkers but hey, in our countries this is now the majority. So I think and see that the logical suite of this is "I want to be anything but without efforts".

Just look at everything happening around us, reallity-TV is the embodiment of this paradigm: people that just don't know anything about the slightest thing can be famous, have money, people that hardly know how to sing can be big stars (have you listened to Britney Spear's impro ?)... And don't even start on Paris Hilton... She just exists and people love her for that...

And ads ? "hey, take a pill and grow your dick, get thin and strong and intelligent and last longer in bed and eat and shit at the same time, with just one pill !!!"... The whole world is about having everything for nothing, and I think Guitar Hero is just that, it gives you the impression to be a rock star for a little bit of money and no efforts. To me that is exactly what the Guitar Hero generation is: I want it all, do you deliver ?

I can play a real guitar, but I prefer playing the spastic-plastic one because people cheer when I play. The more they cheer the more mojo flows through my veins. I want more mojo for nothing.

Calm down man, it's just a video game.

God, I'm sorry if it came across as an aggression, it was just me noticing something and explaining my point of view to the Peel, I'm as cool as can be

Hmmm... I don't recall that people wanted stuff for nothing in the past, I see it as a zeitgeist shift:

I have no idea if you were being serious or not, but I'll take the bait anyway. Firstly, who has said anything about "stuff for nothing"? Getting good at Rock Band takes time! Also, what do I get out of it? A fake crowd cheering me on and a better score. It's not a replacement for a real crowd, is it? It's not getting the real buzz of performing live on stage... but I'm also not putting the same amount off effort in, either.

I'm hardly getting "something for nothing". I'm getting "less for less".

For the whole duration of human history you were what you had to be, that is to say as a vast majority of people were not nomadic in any way, they stayed where they were born and did what they could do.

Says who? 200,000 years ago homosapiens appeared and almost immediately migrated from Africa to Europe and Asia... Or did you think the rest of the world was empty before WWII?

Bandits and Pirates always existed

Not before the invention of boats they didn't ;)

but they lived by that, by the fact that they were a minority, same thing for inventors and great mind, travelers and free thinkers, they were so few that in fact, you could tell anything about religion and it'd still have worked "hey the earth is flat" "well, I hardly know what the earth is, and the nearest town is 3 month from here, so yep, why not."

You have a wonderful insight into the ancient world...

Then after the renaissance, you could get the stats, life expectancy went up slowly, as people lived longer than 40, they could ask themselves why...

I can see how this all relates to Guitar Hero. Very interesting...

Then I'll skip a bit cause I'm not teaching you anything and it's not a History class but basically, after WW2, people got pretty tired of being told what to do, and the massive exodus towards cities of the middle of the XIXe century got accentuated by transportations improvements and people started to want to be something else. We are the "follow your dreams" "if you try hard, anything can happen" and "with efforts you could be what YOU want to be" generation, sons of hippies and free thinkers but hey, in our countries this is now the majority.

And yes! People dreamed of being rock stars! As history progressed, with more freedom and opportunities came more desire. Ok.

So I think and see that the logical suite of this is "I want to be anything but without efforts".

It's definitely 100% true that in ancient times people said, "I want more, but only if it comes with lots of effort".

Just look at everything happening around us, reallity-TV is the embodiment of this paradigm: people that just don't know anything about the slightest thing can be famous, have money, people that hardly know how to sing can be big stars (have you listened to Britney Spear's impro ?)... And don't even start on Paris Hilton... She just exists and people love her for that...

I agree the increase of celebrities for the sake of celebrities is silly. But the whole idea of celebrities is silly anyway, so...

And ads ? "hey, take a pill and grow your dick, get thin and strong and intelligent and last longer in bed and eat and shit at the same time, with just one pill !!!"... The whole world is about having everything for nothing, and I think Guitar Hero is just that, it gives you the impression to be a rock star for a little bit of money and no efforts. To me that is exactly what the Guitar Hero generation is: I want it all, do you deliver ?

Or, it's just a fun video game. One or the other, I guess.

I have no idea if you were being serious or not, but I'll take the bait anyway. Firstly, who has said anything about "stuff for nothing"? Getting good at Rock Band takes time! Also, what do I get out of it? A fake crowd cheering me on and a better score. It's not a replacement for a real crowd, is it? It's not getting the real buzz of performing live on stage... but I'm also not putting the same amount off effort in, either.

I'm hardly getting "something for nothing". I'm getting "less for less".

To your brain you're not, you're getting in a very easy to setup environment the fake sensation that you achieved something and that something is virtual, I don't say it's Guitar Hero that is to blame, I say that is does participate in the whole "I can be a rock star without leaving my house" trend.

Says who? 200,000 years ago homosapiens appeared and almost immediately migrated from Africa to Europe and Asia... Or did you think the rest of the world was empty before WWII?

You quite said it... 200'000 years ago, I'm not sure homo sapiens really moved straight away, in fact, between that apparition and the one of writing in ~4000 BC you'd have to think the went round the earth quite a couple times... But no, they spread some remained and are called... Africans, some left. That said, I was more talking about the very 4000BC-1800 period of History.

Not before the invention of boats they didn't ;)

Indeed... -_-

You have a wonderful insight into the ancient world...

You have a wonderful way to play the douche with me :P

I can see how this all relates to Guitar Hero. Very interesting...

The rise of life expectancy is directly linked to pretty much the whole industrial era existence and modernization, therefore, in a short-life expectancy country you would not be playing Guitar Hero

It's definitely 100% true that in ancient times people said, "I want more, but only if it comes with lots of effort".0

It's definitely true that you are committing a huge fallacy, it is not in essence WANTING to make more efforts, it's just that efforts were tied to the reward, you want something ? You can't have something for nothing was my grandma's motto.

I agree the increase of celebrities for the sake of celebrities is silly. But the whole idea of celebrities is silly anyway, so...

This might be discussed but celebrity is a fact, not something to discuss, it is determined by the amount of people knowing you, therefore the concept of celebrities is not silly, it just is. Revering people for being famous could be but I don't really think I could escape it...

Or, it's just a fun video game. One or the other, I guess.

That or the two of them... or a bit of one and more of the other...or the other way around.

It's definitely 100% true that in ancient times people said, "I want more, but only if it comes with lots of effort"

Well yeah, just look at this guy:

Sisyphus.jpg

When that boulder makes it to the top, he is going to get so much drugs and pussy.