Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Need Survival Horror recommendations

After playing Penumbra and Dark Corners of the Earth, I want some more survival horror. What would you recommend? Preferably for the PC.

I really haven't played much of the genre at all. Alone in the Dark (the first one), Silent Hill (the first one), The Thing, Nocturne. Not sure if they can all be called survival horror. I also liked the scary bits in Stalker. Only played a demo or two from the Resident Evil series.

I don't like splatters much, otherwise I was thinking of getting Condemned (our beloved IGN.com thinks it's the scariest game of this generation).

I like psychological horror most. You may also recommend horror adventure games.

I don't know if any of these are on the PC, but here are my favorites:

1. Resident Evil REmake (GCN)

2. Siren: Blood Curse (PSN/PS3)

3. Silent Hill 2 (PS2)

4. Condemned 1 (360)

5. Fatal Frame 1 & 2 (PS2)

6. Eternal Darkness (GCN)

System Shock 2. On hardest difficulty mode it is arguably survival horror (including scarcity of ammo) and on any mode it is a very scary game indeed.

Alone in the freaking Dark.

The 1992 one? or the one from 2008?

Recently had a hand on Deadly Creatures on the wii, pretty neat piece and very original... Definitely survival definitely horrible

System Shock 2. On hardest difficulty mode it is arguably survival horror (including scarcity of ammo) and on any mode it is a very scary game indeed.

Thanks, somewhy I didn't think of that. I started playing it about two years ago but didn't finish. Should give it another go.

I played FEAR, but it's a bit too much of a shooter for me. Not that I don't like shooters, but the shooter/horror combination somewhy didn't suit me that much.

The 1992 one? or the one from 2008?

The original one, of course. I guess that's a bit of a joke :P

And when you´re at it, why not System Shock 1?

It´s got more survival horror aspects than the sequel, and even though that graphics are laughably old, ans the controls overly cumbersome, it is still totally playable, dripping with atmosphere, excellent at providing jump-scares, and probably more innovative than any game today.

It´s totally shocking how groundbreaking that game is. If you gave it a graphic makeover, some new physics, tweaked the controls and interface a bit, and released it today.... It would still be ahead of the times.

I still have flashbacks of psychokinetic lab monkeys! I also remember that being the first game to make use of my A3D sound card.

I don't think either of these really fit your criteria but what about Dead Space and Bioshock? Dead Space is more of an action game though and pretty gory but Bioshock is similar to System Shock so I guess if that's considered survival horror, this would work too.

There's also a few levels in Thief that would be considered survival horror.

Cryostasis came out very recently, it's a first person survival horror set in the Arctic, looks pretty interesting and didn't review too badly.

Cold Fear has also always seems intriguing to me, but I've heard mixed things about it.

Both are for PC, Cold Fear is on Steam I think, but Cryostasis bizarrely isn't up for download anywhere yet, the only option appears to be boxed copies.

I don't think either of these really fit your criteria but what about Dead Space and Bioshock? Dead Space is more of an action game though and pretty gory but Bioshock is similar to System Shock so I guess if that's considered survival horror, this would work too.

Dead Space is indeed probably more action than I want. As for Bioshock, I didn't really find it to be very scary. Maybe I just didn't play far enough? ( can't remember where I left off) I guess I'm in the minority here, but I didn't like the gameplay in Bioshock that much, although the visual style was superb.

There's also a few levels in Thief that would be considered survival horror.

Yeah, the Thief games are some of my all time favorites. And even though the third title wasn't as good as the previous, Shalebridge Cradle is one of the most memorable levels in the series. There are also some fan mods that are survival horror. Perhaps I should play more of those.

Not really related but the game that had me wet my pants an awfull amount of times is Oblivion... God those fucking creatures have the worst habit of jumping on you from behind !

I'd say Dead Space is great, but yes, its a bit actiony in parts. Still its a crapload of fun and will freak you out a few times.

2. Siren: Blood Curse (PSN/PS3)

I thought this game was an awesome survival horror. After you figure out wtf you are supposed to do at the very start, I became pretty engrossed.

Unfortunately, as you say, I don't think this is available for PC :(

Resident Evil REmake (GCN)

I really, really need to find a copy of this, now I've got a working GameCube again.

Not a big fan of survival horror per se, but this has always had huge appeal to me. The numerous tweaks and additions over the original look so brilliantly nasty.

I've also been meaning to pick up Eternal Darkness too.

Oh, and one more vote for Condemned; once you get the hang of the (brilliant) fighting system, it becomes less about being "intimidated and helpless" and more about being "intimidated but also intimidating". The balance is subtle and superb, and it's definitely one of my all-time favourite games.

Alone in the Dark 3 is my favorite one.

Eternal Darkness is fine too, but you have to stay insane for stuff to happen.

I really, really need to find a copy of this, now I've got a working GameCube again.

They also work fine on the Wii if you have a classic controller or Wavebird. (Hugs Wavebird)

They also work fine on the Wii if you have a classic controller or Wavebird. (Hugs Wavebird)

I do not have the prerequisite hardware, though -- i.e. a Wii. :violin:

Like a fag, you mean.

I fucking love you Toeblix.