Jake

Cyborg Contest: You choose!

The day has come. You must choose the best cyborg from the following 11 specimens.  

61 members have voted

1. 1. The day has come. You must choose the best cyborg from the following 11 specimens.

• The Devil Tesla
    • taco484
    • gdf
    • elmuerte
    • Nappi
    • toblix
    • Noyb
    • Hogboon
    • SignorSuperDouche
    • MrBig
    • EthanThomas
    • Ossk
    • IdesofMarch
    • bistro

Previously on Idle Thumbs: We got a crazy cyborg mouse, and decided to foist if off on you, the readers. To win the mouse, you had to draw a cyborg.

Bonus unlockable prize: Dawn of War II Steam Code. That's right, Chris realized he had one of these around as well. Whoever wins this poll gets to choose between the DoW II code, or the Saitek Cyborg mouse. Second place gets the other prize.

Let's take a look at our entries:

The Devil Tesla

2s0ofic.jpg

2uz753b.jpg

----------

taco484

attachment.php?attachmentid=415&d=1235712650

----------

gdf

fuuckbot.png

----------

elmuerte

attachment.php?attachmentid=418&stc=1&d=1235774142

----------

Nappi

birth_of_a_cyborg.png

----------

toblix

cyborg.png

----------

Noyb

mechagoose-noyb.png

----------

Hogboon

2cdac0j.jpg

----------

Ossk

33cbzn7.jpg

----------

SignorSuperDouche

3323268298_c7d28a3065.jpg

----------

MrBig

attachment.php?attachmentid=423&d=1236135015

attachment.php?attachmentid=424&d=1236135025

----------

EthanThomas

attachment.php?attachmentid=428&d=1236141270

----------

IdesofMarch

Pics001-1.gif

----------

So... holy shit. You guys vote and pick some winners!

Edited by Chris

This is a tough one, but I went with Nappi's entry because it was the funniest of them all.

I don't think it's fair that we have to choose just one, and I'm certainly not sure which I like best, so I'm going to abstain from voting until I've had a good think. As a way of organising my thoughts, I'd like to share my favourites with you all and tell you why they made my shortlist.

Nappi

Nappi's cyborg made me smile. A lot. The strip is perfectly timed (the two panel pause before the little chap says anything is ace), the gag, whilst not laugh out loud, is a gooddun and finally it's so damn adorable.

Score: :tup::tup:

toblix

It took me a while to put my finger on it, but this really reminds me of an illustration by Spike Milligan. Not a specific one, you understand, but just very much in his style.

I love all the unanswered questions here. What's with the antenna? Is the dude being remotely controlled by some malevolent force or does he just like listening to Women's Hour on Radio 4? Is that blood? If so whose blood is it and why is it all over the cyborg's hand and abdomen? What's that brown stuff and why is there a lump of something lying in it? ...

Hogboon

The attention to detail here is awesome. Particular highlights for me include the rather miserable looking dude in the shirt and tie who has been squished into the bottom left, the Joe Pesci style reporting for duty and the fact that even though whoever made this monster clearly didn't give a fuck about any of the creatures they used for materials, they still went to the effort of putting a safety warning on the laser. Safety first!

Score: :tup:

Ossk

The pencil and inking work here is stellar. Again there's lots of details on this one that make it stand out. The ticker-tape, the tattoo's, the fact that OssK quite literally depicted Jake as a dickhead - all good stuff.

Score: :tup:

EthanThomas

The cyborg on it's own is definitely cool but it doesn't stand out as being totally awesome. The accessories that come with it most certainly do. My favourite add-on has to be the 16-bit alarm cock (which had me totally confused for a second until I realised it was in hex, 50 geek points to Ethan) for being based not on an actual cock but on an ascii representation of a cock: <=3. Ethan also gets like a bazillion geek points for his method of, what I can only assume was, drawing it all, scanning it in, printing it off on a dot matrix printer then scanning that in.

I think, after considering it for a while, I'll have to go with Toblix's effort.

Thanks guys!

The strip is perfectly timed (the two panel pause before the little chap says anything is ace)...

I actually added those two pictures shortly after my initial post because I felt something was missing.

My vote goes for SignorSuperDouche! His cyborg really made me laugh.

They're all very good though.

It has to be Toblix.

I feel so fucking embarrassed by my entry :shifty:

Thanks!

Not really any backstory. I drew another tree cyborg a couple years ago for an art class assignment that wasn't nearly as detailed and badass as this one, and when I heard about the contest I thought it would be cool to do another one.

That's a shame, I'd love to hear the story of how a tree became a cyborg. It's symbolically interesting too, showing nature and machine as one when they're normally depicted as opposites. The more I look at it the more I like it :tup:

UPDATE!

As I mentioned above, toblix's cyborg reminded me of illustrations by Spike Milligan so I thought I'd scan something in as a comparison. I had a root around and found a nice picture with a chap with a unicycle for legs and thought it would work nicely:

3330233945_32a6130d56_b.jpg

linky 1

What I didn't expect was to find this on page 117:

3330233949_41d9811e38_b.jpg

linky 2

Both of these images come from A Dustbin of Milligan which is sadly out of print, but if you ever have the opportunity to get a copy you should definitely indulge ourself. It's awesome.

Edited by SignorSuperdouche

Come on, SignorSuperdouche, did you think you'd get away with this? If you look at the EXIF data in your images, which you forgot to remove, the timestamp is after my post. Obviously those were made after I made my drawing, and, in fact, my drawing was most likely this guy "Spike Milligan"'s (obviously an anagram) inspiration.

This Wizard and the Jake part of my cyborg do seem to have something in common, I can't seem to find what...

Toblix has my vote. It's just hilariously fucked up with that unicycle thing, and the shark-thing. I feel filthy though. Nappi's was awesome and made me laugh hard.

And GDF's Fükbot, no matter how wrong, is just Füked Üp. The others are great too. I don't blame the Idle Thumbs cast to pass this cup to us. It's impossible to choose.

You know what? This thread makes me sad every single time I go back to it, it reminds me that I liked MisterBig and was about to cast my vote, and looked to see what the votes where, an I got so fucking depressed that I spent 3 hours on a bot that nobody likes that I casted a vote at my own entry... If that isn't the sadest thing you ever heard... But hey, I'm a douche, can't really fight it.

Hey, don't feel too bad chap. It's not that nobody likes yours, it's just that there's some stiff competition. If it's any consolation, I think IdesofMarch and Hogboon's scores are a disgrace too, you all deserve way more than what you've got.

Yeh, I agree, they're all good...but it was the silly smile looking oddly pleased with itself and piecemeal hair on toblix's cyborg that really did it for me. If it makes you feel any better, I wish I could draw that well OssK.

Very soon! We keep forgetting to end it on the show. Next episode (after the one that's going up in a few minutes).