Sign in to follow this  
nonamermcgee

GDC

Tentatively thinking about gathering on Tuesday night if you are around!

LucasArts party 5-8 and Harmonix 8-10. But afterwards...:tup:

I don't suppose any of you will be covering GDC on your twitters or whatever, will you? I'd love it if someone covered the Suda51/Fumito Ueda panel...

I don't suppose any of you will be covering GDC on your twitters or whatever, will you? I'd love it if someone covered the Suda51/Fumito Ueda panel...

I'll be liveblogging that. Whatever the fuck that means.

I'll be liveblogging that. Whatever the fuck that means.

Oh, excellent. Could you tell me where?

And thanks!

Oh, excellent. Could you tell me where?

And thanks!

I'll post a link here.

Alex, will you still be covering Ueda's panel? :) Can you post a link?

Yeah, I'll do my best to liveblog it, depending on the wi-fi situation, but if not, I'll have it posted not long after the session concludes.

Did anyone see the Indie Game Maker Rant? From the description, it sounded epic, including a dramatic reading of the script to Gears of War 2, a rant against the IGF including well-funded games, and an attempt by the creator of Crayon Physics to make a Ragdoll Peggle prototype in five minutes.

Also, I published my first GDC piece a little while ago. It's concerning Tarsier's lost but not forgotten The City of Metronome.

http://tinyurl.com/gdc09-metronome

I hope you find it enjoyable to read.

This news makes me very happy. :woohoo:

I guess I missed the best part of the indie rant! I went out to secure a free lunch box when the first couple of rants were a bit meh. Crap.

I wish I'd got to that.

"Indie" is a really broken term. It was applied to a lot of UK music in the 90's, originally as a word to describe music from small independent record labels, but eventually became synonymous with a certain genre of guitar/britpop music. That emerged onto huge record labels and was still called indie.

Technically, anyone not owned by a large publisher is indie. Going by the IGF rules, it appears Free Radical could have entered haze. They were an independent developer, and so are Crytek.

The terminology is fundamentally awry, but where can the IGF go to get it right? "Art games" excludes anyone who isn't trying to make a statement, "free games" is just as arbitrary and lets all kinds of crap in to boot.

I wish I'd got to that.

"Indie" is a really broken term. It was applied to a lot of UK music in the 90's, originally as a word to describe music from small independent record labels, but eventually became synonymous with a certain genre of guitar/britpop music. That emerged onto huge record labels and was still called indie.

Technically, anyone not owned by a large publisher is indie. Going by the IGF rules, it appears Free Radical could have entered haze. They were an independent developer, and so are Crytek.

The terminology is fundamentally awry, but where can the IGF go to get it right? "Art games" excludes anyone who isn't trying to make a statement, "free games" is just as arbitrary and lets all kinds of crap in to boot.

I think you could make a pretty clear determination that isn't open to a lot of waffling that the "indie spirit" noted in the rules disallows games funded by a major publisher, like Haze. That still leaves the potential for high-budget independently-funded stuff, but it's at least one line.

But it's such a fuzzy line, and that's why I picked an example as stupid as Haze.

How small does a publisher have to be before it's small enough?

Don't get me wrong, I think Simon did a good job of sticking up for Pixel Junk: Eden, but troubled terminology makes the entry criteria quite subjective, so gripes like the ones voiced by Phil Fish are going to keep happening and getting traction.

They should have an indie games rant next year, with speaking criteria that let regular game developers rant too, then follow up with an indie games rant rant.

Aside from seeing Remo momentarily at lunch, I fucking hate that I haven't met a single one of you yet.

I know, it's bedlam. I keep getting all these conflicting invites in the evening and it's difficult to get to everything and talk to everyone.

Apart from a coincidental lunch meet with Marek and Remo, and briefly bumping into Lawrence and Duncan while feeling ludicrously jet lagged and stupid, I've not actually managed to see Thumbs people much. I started trying to call people yesterday, but casting of the pod trumped everything.

Maybe we could meet tomorrow or Friday. My number: +44 7976 216 029

Let's meet up and shit.

Marek, that is not what one does when he meets people he never saw, it is highly improper to propose to defecate in reunion to strangers.