Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

Nobi Nobi Boy

So, what the fuck was that all about?

I mean, I had a smashing time. But I'm just not sure what I was doing. Can I file this under 'abstract Animal Crossing on cake'? I know it blew my Shatner's bassoon.

All I know is that it's awesome. I never played Katamari, didn't know anything about this, and had the time of my life.

Highly recommended. :tup::tup:

Also:

I ate a cat, then I shat it out. The menu system is unusual. It's an odd thing, and it's even better since you can directly upload to YouTube. Here's my figuring what the fuck out is going on

I still don't know.

:hat1:

Also:

God bless that menu/mini-game and song. So happy.

Didn't know it was a reference to Metro Cross, a game I'd never heard of or played.

:erm::eek::erm::grin: :grin: :clap::erm::woohoo::yep::grin::erm: :erm: :tup:

I actually wasn't that hot on buying it until I read the Eurogamer review. I was expecting a silly little experimental game, not something as polished and complete as this. Everything about it puts a huge big fucking smile on your face, and I love it when game developers put in the small (and often pointless) details like being able to move the fairy's wand while loading the game.

Two of the most innovative and original games this year in the space of a week for a combined total of less than ten pounds. I love you PSN.

Noby Noby Boy is fucking genius. It's like dropping some shrooms, then jumping into a ball pit filled with Pick 'n' Mix and gold dust.

I didn't like it ¬¬

I like lots of different elements of it a lot - menus, music high scores board, etc, but so far I havent clicked with the gaming element of it enough to feel compelled to keep playing.

I'm hoping it will click into place with a bit more time spent though :)

I didn't like it ¬¬

I like lots of different elements of it a lot - menus, music high scores board, etc, but so far I havent clicked with the gaming element of it enough to feel compelled to keep playing.

I'm hoping it will click into place with a bit more time spent though :)

I say we burn him on a pike.

Edited by Kroms

This Kotaku comment made me giggle:

Noby Noby Boy is awesome so far. In the first 10 minutes I grew a little and explored. Then I ate some stuff, but didn't realize I could fart it out. I guess I stored up so much stuff that when it came out the other side it literally blew my ass off.

After some hesitation I ate my own butt. The game seemed to approve.

I was very impressed by that as well. I wish the game would have allowed me to eat my butt when it was still attached, though, to answer the age old question.

Interesting. As everyone helps 'girl' to grow she can reach new planets, which are then unlocked for everyone else to play on. The Moon was the latest to be unlocked, next it will be Mars.

I don't understand how you grow longer though, do you have to eat people/things or what? There seems to be a point where I can't grow longer even though I've wrapped myself around every object in sight and gobble up any folks standing around gawping at me. Is that normal, is there a limit to length in any one session?

I'm kind of sad that I don't have a ps3 now. Maybe I can get one of my friends to buy it so I can play it.

I guess I had fun for a while, but I feel like many people are being conned into liking an unfinished tech demo simply because of its wacky premise, some cute aesthetics and respect for its oddball designer.

While I did enjoy contributing to the overall meta-game, I don't see much other point to wandering around randomly generated levels eating crap and stretching for no reason. Maybe that is the point, in which case I guess it's just too random for me. Maybe that's it. At least in Flower the hidden seeds and basic trophy structure provided enough of a framework for me to get my game on, whereas in Noby there is absolutely no goal and the total randomness of the trophy requirements makes it worthless to even do...anything. And where I feel Flower offered a subtle narrative arch, thrilling gameplay and gorgeous visuals, Noby only offers pointless insanity wrapped inside nothingness.

the total randomness of the trophy requirements makes it worthless to even do...anything.

Interesting. The randomness and mystery of the trophies in Noby actually made me feel the opposite. I felt like it encouraged me to try to do anything I could imagine (or rather imagine what the designer was thinking) without any traditional constraints, which usually ended up being a fun process.

Edited by Ben

I just love the fact there's a game out there that just totally breaks from all the principles of game design we've come to expect, yet still neatly fits into the category.

Ok,

According to the Giant Bomb podcast you can interbreed people with vegetables by eating them and then pooping out a new thing, is this right?

Also, the whole community based game unlocking thing sounds awesome.

I was very impressed by that as well. I wish the game would have allowed me to eat my butt when it was still attached, though, to answer the age old question.

Noby Noby Ouroboros?

Interesting. The randomness and mystery of the trophies in Noby actually made me feel the opposite. I felt like it encouraged me to try to do anything I could imagine (or rather imagine what the designer was thinking) without any traditional constraints, which usually ended up being a fun process.

Although I will admit to deliberately working towards earning trophies and achievements, I prefer them to be unexpected notifications of unusual events. Ideally, I'd like them to be a bit of interesting or amusing flavour on top of a more in-depth and dry stats system (depending on the game type, of course). For example, in an FPS you can have all the kills, deaths, shots fired, shots hit, etc., then perhaps have achievements for particular events like getting a certain number of guys with a single grenade or whatever.

I don't know, that's just how I feel. It bothers me when there are ones I know I'll never get, which is weird, seeing as how I don't usually really go for getting them all, anyway.

I guess I had fun for a while, but I feel like many people are being conned into liking an unfinished tech demo simply because of its wacky premise, some cute aesthetics and respect for its oddball designer.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, and it's an entirely understandable one, but I find it a little sad that people think that playing a game for its own sake is being "conned". Other elements are nice, of course, but shouldn't the main element of games, in most cases, be the gameplay? Goals can help focus people on particular forms of gameplay, which is good, but having a free-form environment is just as valid. I guess you could call it a toy instead of a game, and the "gameplay" would be another form of interaction, but to act as though the interaction itself is not reason enough to spend your time on something is to kind of undermine games entirely.

Then again, you could make a case for people getting a bit caught up in the hype about something they wouldn't normally be too enthralled about.

Ok,

According to the Giant Bomb podcast you can interbreed people with vegetables by eating them and then pooping out a new thing, is this right?

Yep. I've done it with a few types of animals, but not vegetables yet. You get a person with that animal's head. Also, if you eat all the parts of a robot separately, when you crap it out they're all joined together again.

I like it when you crap some stuff out and it makes a cannon sound.

I'm considering doing the Giant Bomb competition for this. You have to upload a video to YouTube from Noby Noby Boy, then film yourself replicating it in real life.

I've got a decent idea of how to go about it.

I briefly considered entering that, then realized that there's no chance I'd ever do it.

I've been stuck at home for a week, so I'm going a bit crazy like that.

FUCKING LET'S DO IT!

I did have an idea that might be within the realm of the amount of effort I'd be willing to put in. Basically it would involve someone going to a toilet, closing the door, screaming, leaving, then being followed by someone else with an animal or vegetable head. I guess that would have to be either made or bought or edited on.