Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

GTAIV: The Lost and the Damned

I'd love to play the new DLC for GTAIV however I lost my GTAIV disc recently in a purging of games from my room. I managed to remove all my PS2 games and Xbox games.. but I think I accidentally placed it in the box along with them all.

I think it's a bit strange to have a full-on TV advertisement for DLC, but what the hell they've probably got the money to do it.

Oh and also in true Idle Thumbs fashion I thought I'd seg with the ultimate seg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp9Gm-aRe5A

I apologize if people have seen it a million times (or it's been posted already), it just reminded me of this site as soon as I heard seg.

I've been playing this for a while (secretly hoping to complete it before Tuesday's GThA session). I haven't read this thread, wanting to avoid spoilers, but here goes: This is exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping for as DLC. Liberty City is so huge and interesting that there's room for lots of different stories taking place in it. I was hoping they'd add a new system or two to the world, which it seems they haven't, but the new stuff that is added (group driving/combat, weapons) is so far top quality. And it's harder too. Except for the last mission in GTAIV, I almost never had to retry missions, but in TLAD I've had to retry most of them, which is okay, since the checkpoint system keeps things from being repetitive.

My opinion is Rockstart could spend quite a while releasing stuff like this for GTAIV instead of going straight for a sequel. If they keep polishing the engine like Valve is doing with Source, it could last for a long time.

Yeah, this is an awesome expansion. Better than I expected.

I've been playing this for a while (secretly hoping to complete it before Tuesday's GThA session). I haven't read this thread, wanting to avoid spoilers, but here goes: This is exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping for as DLC. Liberty City is so huge and interesting that there's room for lots of different stories taking place in it. I was hoping they'd add a new system or two to the world, which it seems they haven't, but the new stuff that is added (group driving/combat, weapons) is so far top quality. And it's harder too. Except for the last mission in GTAIV, I almost never had to retry missions, but in TLAD I've had to retry most of them, which is okay, since the checkpoint system keeps things from being repetitive.

My opinion is Rockstart could spend quite a while releasing stuff like this for GTAIV instead of going straight for a sequel. If they keep polishing the engine like Valve is doing with Source, it could last for a long time.

They did add new multiplayer mechanics though, at least one of which is awesome.

They did add new multiplayer mechanics though, at least one of which is awesome.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to trying them out. In fact, when I think about it, they've really added a ton of various shit to the game -- more than one could expect, in fact.

Also, if Rockstar had implemented a logging/reporting thing like Valve has done, they'd probably see a drastic fall in the percentage of players who bothered to do the various extra missions. For example, I completed most of that shit in GTA IV, but I probably won't bother trying the races or gang wars in TLAD. Getting in-game rewards isn't really interesting to me, especially since I'd be done playing the game by the time I got them.

I actually found the races quite fun (if a bit easy) and completed them before doing the story missions. But the gang wars don't seem that interesting.

Just finished it, and it was awesome. Two cool moments for me:

Right after the crazy motorcycle chase where you're shooting up all the cop cars, you're left under the bridge where the chase ends. I got in the police car that had crashed into one of the nearby pillars and started driving back to the main road. I was called up by Elizabeta, and at the end Johnny says something about him riding in a police car, which I was. I don't know if this only triggers if you're actually in one, and it was obvious that the player was pointed in that direction, but it somehow felt really awesome.

After getting to the Libertonian, I was told to enter it, and for some reason I didn't see the door, so I kept going around and found some scaffolding. I climbed it, and it was obvious that I was meant to get in this way. So I got to the roof and found the roof entrance, but couldn't get in. Right then it struck me -- this is where the player is supposed to go next time.

Anyway, it was really awesome. I thought all the cut scenes were really well done and the acting great. The end credits was a nice touch, but I think I'd prefer they didn't shine such a bright spotlight directly on the fact that the stories were parallel, but was more the style of the full game. It really says a lot that they can fly the camera slowly over a street or park with nothing special happening, and it's still awesome.

Did anybody else find the "shooter on rails" mission confusing until they realised they had to keep the right-trigger held down the entire time?

Yes, it lasted for about five seconds, and felt just like playing Little Big Planet when I get the guys mixed up, and the controls start feeling... off, somehow.

I managed to die repeatedly until I figured it out. I seriously thought the game was bugged... Release the Right Trigger and switch to "helicopter camera", press the Right Trigger and fire continuously with infinite ammo from normal camera mode. No other buttons do anything... Very odd.

Just completed it. The ending was a bit of a disappointment.

I DID expect a speech from Billy.

If anyone wants to try and win a free copy of this, we've got a giveaway for three copies over on evav.

I'm currently just a little while into the game, but I like some of the stuff they did with the game. Specifically when you're in a pack of bikers you can regain health and even body armour as long as you're sticking in 'formation'. Not sure how much that will play into the whole game itself, but I thought it was pretty neat.

Additionally, I just got done watching Masters of Mayhem on NatGeo HD, so it made me want to join a biker gang.

(not really)