Scrobbs

Right you lot, I need a recommendation for a game.

Ok, I've been umm-ing and ah-ing about buying a new console game for a bit, and have nearly done so on impulse many times, but then I sit back and think how much time I will actually play it, I get put off the 40 or so quid it will cost.

Currently thinking along the lines of GRID, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, Flower, Killzone 2, RE5 and SF IV. The latter 3 aren't out yet, but I'd be happy to wait.

My 360 LIVE subscription has run out, and I'm not inclined to renew it at the moment.

Recently (apart from EVE, which has been taking ALL of my gaming time) I've enjoyed Dead Space, WipEout HD. I got a bit bored of Tomb Raider after the first couple of levels.

Any clues? Any further suggestions other than those I have mentioned?

Get Motorstorm Pacific Rift and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, you could probably get them for a combined £45. Flower should be a high priority, especially given the price.

If you're limited then it's probably best to wait for the looming big hitters. Of course, no idea what you've played in the past — there might be several older/cheaper games you really should play.

I saw a lot of people saying the Resident Evil 5 demo was pretty mediocre and controls like a dog, though. Bit annoying as I've been looking forward to that. :tmeh:

I've previously played GRiD to death despite being a bit of a sim-snob and not particularly fond of Codemasters. Multiplayer is impressive because not only does it have a grinding potential in the form of an experience meter but races are short and too the point. The ability to vote in different racing disiplines in lobbies means you can stay together as a group for a long time racing continously... it's addicitve as hell. I just wish it had a more fleshed out Destruction Derby mode as it's a blast to play and brings back happy memories of the Pysnogis classic.

Dunno whether you like sports games or not, but I'll throw this into the mix as its one I'm really excited about more than anything else... and am laughing when I say this but it's true so I can't help it... MLB:09 The Show. A baseball game. Seriously, I don't know the first thing about baseball, and you're not going to catch me watching it or anything silly like that, but the game is one of the best sports adaptations I've ever played. It really feels like you're watching and playing a game of baseball - and although that in itself doesn't sound exciting (dug myself into a hole there!) it actually genuinely is. At least give the demo a try (off of the US PSN store) or find a copy of the older PC version called (I think) MVP baseball as they are very similar. I was surprised, you might be.

Depends on what sort of experience you crave at the minute, Scrobbs.

I'd say go for something really different to the norm and get Street Fighter IV. It's out in just a couple of days now anyway.

It's a shame you're not planning to renew you Xbox LIVE Gold account, otherwise I'd have suggested picking up The Lost and Damned this week (i.e. today!) too and joined us on Grand Thumb Auto every Tuesday (tonight!). You'd have had change from £50 and got two highly anticipated titles as well.

Let us know what you decide upon in the end. It's always interesting to see what people go for after asking for random suggestions from the gallery.

Well I've been thinking about Flower for a while, and I got that last night. It's a very pleasant diversion.

By all accounts it's not very long, so I might end up with another soon! I am really tempted by SFIV, because, as you say, it's a bit different to the others.

Mmm, the buzz [arf] around Flower certainly has me interested. I lack the prerequisite hardware, however. :violin:

If you do plump for SFIV and go for the 360 version, there's been talk of putting together a regular Thumbs night for that too. Probably something like Mortal Thumbat would get my vote. But anyway, I digress.

See, I'm more likely to go for the PS3 version. I'm really starting to dislike the 360 for some reason, and am disinclined to buy more games for it - and that's going to really piss my best mate off who has a 360 only.

Same here, ever since I got the PS3 I buy my multiplats on it. It's quiet, doesn't crap the discs out every fifteen minutes saying there's an error, I can play single-player games in peace and it has a nice big HDD for installing games to as opposed to my puny 20GB 360 one.

...and I've just listened to ThumbsCast #17, where they were going on about NHL 09. I played the demo and really liked it, but was still not sure about it, so reckon I might go and buy this this evening. I don't understand Ice Hockey though.

I'm also inclined to recommend Banjo Kazooie and The Lost and the Damned. Been playing the hell out of BK and have been spending most of today (Grand Thumb Auto time excluded) playing TLATD. Both are of high quality. I'm intending to pick up Flower sometime this week and pump some quality time into it as well, but we'll have to see.

As I said recently, I've been getting my multiplat games on PS3 as well lately, but these two are bringing me back to the 360 reliably for some game time.

Well I traded in a load of old games, and they came to more than I thought! 73 quid! So I got NHL 09 and Grid, and it didn't cost me anything! (Well...2 pounds. Feh.) :tup:

Haven't played an EA NHL game since NHL '91 on the MegaDrive, which was a classic. Sounds like '09 is really good, too.

I remember being really impressed with the 'skill stick' business on the demo. It was bloody hard to score though, which makes it more pleasing when you do!

Grid is great fun, as is NHL 09. I had to look the rules of Ice Hockey up, as I understood nothing of what the commentators were saying. The finer points are still eluding me, but at least I'm up to speed.