Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

Dreamcast VGA mod (or: Hardware hack help, please!)

Since swapping my old 22" widescreen CRT gaming telly for an LCD monitor, I've not been able to play my Dreamcast. So I'm thinking about adding a VGA port to my Dreamcast manually.

Has anyone here done this (or similar) before? Would appreciate any tips or suggestions, before I start randomly burning stuff with a soldering iron, as I've not done anything like this before.

I've not modified any consoles, but I do make and repair things with solder occasionally. Practice soldering a lot before going near your Dreamcast, it's very, very easy to make a bad job of it: Scratching a track off the board, dumping too much solder, etc., are all easy things to do but not necessarily easy to fix.

Also, make sure you have a fine enough tip for your iron. Stock ones are sometimes a bit chunky for working on some PCBs. If you're looking to solder a lot, Portasol do really good gas powered irons that use lighter fuel, are obviously cordless, and warm up a lot faster than an electric iron.

Were there not commercial VGA adapters for the Dreamcast? I would search eBay for those before modding the system myself.

I used to have a VGA adaptor for dreamcast, ran it on my monitor and it looked awesome.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQ_nkwZdreamcastQ20vgaQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

That's as much as I paid for the machine when I bought it, but still cheaper than trying to find one now if I were to cock it up. So thank you for the personal recommendation. :)

I need to tot up how much the various electronics would be, and then make a decision as to whether I'd likely fry the wee beasty or not if I attempted the conversion myself.

Would be satisfying to say I'd managed something like that though... successfully converting it, I mean. Not murdering the poor thing. :hmph: