syntheticgerbil

Most Annoying Song EVer

I may be really late and this could be complete old news, but I just found out about this experiment to create the most annoying song ever based on polls done in the 90s. I still can't stop laughing thinking about kids yelling every holiday at me and telling me to take my shopping to Walmart.

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/04/a-scientific-at.html

This is hilarious and awesome. I lost it at "Hey everybody, it's Christmas Time!!"

I'm only about 7 minutes in...I love how it keeps going back to weird hop-a-long cowboy music.

Ramadan, Ramadan / lots of praying / with no breakfast!

:grin:

Edited by Metallus

On one of the links in the Wired article, I found this quote about the original research:

"The most unwanted music is over 25 minutes long, veers wildly between loud and quiet sections, between fast and slow tempos, and features timbres of extremely high and low pitch, with each dichotomy presented in abrupt transition. The most unwanted orchestra was determined to be large, and features the accordion and bagpipe (which tie at 13% as the most unwanted instrument), banjo, flute, tuba, harp, organ, synthesizer (the only instrument that appears in both the most wanted and most unwanted ensembles). An operatic soprano raps and sings atonal music, advertising jingles, political slogans, and "elevator" music, and a children's choir sings jingles and holiday songs. The most unwanted subjects for lyrics are cowboys and holidays, and the most unwanted listening circumstances are involuntary exposure to commercials and elevator music. Therefore, it can be shown that if there is no covariance—someone who dislikes bagpipes is as likely to hate elevator music as someone who despises the organ, for example—fewer than 200 individuals of the world's total population would enjoy this piece. "

Also this page shows the paintings they made for various countries based on opinion polls:

http://www.diacenter.org/km/painting.html

Denmark's least wanted painting is my favorite.

least.jpg

Who wouldn't want to own a blown up print of that painting hanging above your bed every night as you have a threesome with two incredibly hot women?

I made it to 7.34 before the opera singer and high pitched synth viscerally forced me away.

Also, this thread as well as fullbright on Twitter prompted me to start this one. I reckon I've heard worse than the song at that Wired article. We did this once at Nalicity, it was both horrible and excellent.

My girlfriend also noticed an impressive penis in the picture, but it's quite a gender specific detail...

I was busy looking at the power ranger, but now that you mention it... Although, the penis really has no weight compared to the rest of the picture.

Italy as a collective population sure has a specific taste about what they don't want in a painting.

I reckon I've heard worse than the song at that Wired article. We did this once at Nalicity, it was both horrible and excellent.

Well it's kind of odd, but from what I understand, they weren't really trying to create a purposefully bad song, but to use all of the elements the US didn't want in a song the most based on their polling. Maybe a more proficient musician would do a better job, I have no idea, but it would be an awesome trend if many musicians got together and all made their own version of most annoying song using all of the same type of elements.

AT WALMART!

I could have sworn I already posted about this thing. Anyway, I've encountered this thing a few times, and absolutely love it. In a not-entirely-ironic fashion, even. It's so endearingly demented. The Most Wanted Music counterpart, on the other hand, is plain boring. Anyway, I take it as an amusing satire on creation-by-focus group.

THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT, JAMES. Moron.

Yeah, I enjoy the most annoying song over the most wanted song too. The most annoying song almost sounds like a Fantomas album or something, I love how ridiculous it is.