Sign in to follow this  
DanJW

Bafta Game Awards 2009

SO I see the nominations have been posted:

http://www.bafta.org/awards/video-games/nominations,664,BA.html

My question is: how has Assassin's Creed got so many nominations? It's by no means a terrible game I gather, but it seems to have disappointed as least as many people as it pleased. Going by the number of catagories it is in, you would think it was the most well-rounded game of the year.

But then the BAFTA game awards are always laughably narrow-sighted. Amazing unique games often go unmentioned because the committee, who seem to be non-gamers, hasn't heard of them. You must have this --> number of column inches in national news in order to go on this ride.

And don't even get me started on the artistic achievement catagory. If Little BIg Planet doesn't win it, I may have to stop being a gamer. Or accept that generic brown battlefield #4 is the height of artful design.

I guess they thought Rock Band was better than GH:WT?

Does it actually have better multiplayer and gameplay? GH has the extra bass note and the twiddly touchpad solos.

Oh well, care.

Edit: You can vote for the GAME award - gogo LBP.

Edited by Nick

GH:WT is in the Casual category while Rock Band 2 isn't? From what I've seen it isn't very casual gamer friendly. :erm:

Guitar Hero World Tour: If any one person fails, everyone fails.

Rock Band 2: Can save any person twice without penalty. Also has no fail mode.

It's nominated for being pretty, sounding good, having a good story and a good engine not for being a good game.

It does look pretty and the climbing stuff is certainly impressive, the others I can't speak to.

Looking pretty isn't the same as artistic achievement. Seems to me the selection committee have once again confused 'art' with 'shiny graphics'. Although Assassins Creed does have better visual design than some of the other nominees.

I've not heard good things about the story though...

The engine... now the engine does show promise.

BAFTA[/url]"]Video Games 07: Will Wright Legendary Games Designer Will Wright talks about the principles behind beautoful games design

Beautoful? Games design?

I've not heard good things about the story though...

The story is, to put it lightly (and alliteratively), a horrid heap of hackneyed horseshit. It forces you to sit through all this irrelevant dialogue as well, awful, awful design choice.

Actually, that was its main problem. Great ideas and concepts with well executed core mechanics, but the window dressing and structure was almost laughably dire.

I think its weird that the "british academy of film and television" does things with video[- ]?games.

It was the story that more or less put me off Assassin's Creed. I'd heard how it was quite good, but got a bit samey, but thought I'd give it a go.

The story drove me off - I found I really didn't give a shit about the protagonist, and the gameplay wasn't deep enough to interest past about an hour. Raspberry for AC.

Well, here they are.

I don't have any major objections really.

OH! Besides Call of Duty 4 winning Best Story and Character. Beating games like GTA4, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect. CoD4 is a good game from what I have played of it... but story and character? Really?

Best give up on the old RPG genre guys, apparently FPS has it all :fart:

OH! Besides Call of Duty 4 winning Best Story and Character. Beating games like GTA4, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect. CoD4 is a good game from what I have played of it... but story and character? Really?

Best give up on the old RPG genre guys, apparently FPS has it all :fart:

I'm not all that fussed about deciding which of those games you've listed is the "best," since it all depends on what you look for in a story, but I can certainly understand Call of Duty 4 winning. At least in the story category.

As far as creating a believable, yet entertaining story for a war-focused FPS I don't think anything has ever come close to touching it, and probably won't until Modern Warfare 2 comes out later this year.

It may not have the deepest of characters, or the most original premise, but it's written in such a fantastic way. There's no 20 minute monologues like in Metal Gear, but the short bursts of dialogue you do get develop the characters well and give credability to the terrorist threats. The style it's presented to the player in adds to the brilliance, also. For example, the

section where you play as the soon-to-be-assassinated President, or the victim of a Nuclear blast

are two of the most striking sections of a game for me. Ever.

Yeah it's not over-ambitious and sprawling, but I think that those two examples are almost more impressive than the games you listed combined. I know some people will find that a ludricious statement, but the more focused and refined story was a better experience than the long, drawn out ones where you have a part in "creating" the character for me. Ultimately, I think that aspect always kills a part of a story, but that's another matter.

That's OK then; as long as it has defenders, especially articulate ones such as yourself Foliorum, I am happy. I was just worried that the judges had pulled the decision, as they say, out of their asses. And I know one of the judging panel.

Mario Galaxy won best game... Which is nice! But it's interesting that something can be the best game when it doesn't have

• Best Story,

• Best Use of Audio,
  • Best Character,

• Best Technical achievement,

• Best Artistic achievement,

• Best soundtrack,
  • Best game play, or

• Best multiplayer.

What does it have then ? ¬¬.

Mario Galaxy won best game... Which is nice! But it's interesting that something can be the best game when it doesn't have

• Best Story,

• Best Use of Audio,
  • Best Character,

• Best Technical achievement,

• Best Artistic achievement,

• Best soundtrack,
  • Best game play, or

• Best multiplayer.

What does it have then ? ¬¬.

It has the second-best in every single one!!

It won the "best rubric for games award" , "best getting through space" and "best use of a plumber" though, which you'll admit is already something