Scratch

Burnout Paradise

I'm tempted to get this but would want to get a racing wheel too. Anyone have any suggestions? Doesn't seem to be many options.

Burnout it way too arcade for a wheel to do you any good.

Toblix, if I spot you online at the same time as me, I'd be happy to have a race or two. Multiplayer is accessed through the dpad menu and integrated seamlessly with the main game. Really well done, actually.

I was gonna get it, thinking that the DeLorean-like hovercar would be included in the Ultimate Box, but then it wasn't, so screw it.

If the DeLorean was your only incentive to buying the game, you're probably better off not getting it, as the novelty of the car wears thin pretty quickly. The game has a huge amount of content, especially for $20. If you REALLY wanted the DeLorean, the extra $4 is probably less than you spend on lunch every day.

You can find the original Burnout Paradise for $20. All you're getting in the Ultimate Box is the weak "pass the controller" multiplayer mode.

I had resisted getting this game for the longest time, but they FINALLY sucked me in with the ability to restart. I know it sounds like a small thing, but I know myself, and I would damn sure drive back to every starting line until I won that particular race...I'm just competitive like that.

At any rate, I've gotta say that the game is AMAZING! I honestly can't see myself buying another road racing game this generation. I love the arcade feel. It's absurdly easy to throw your car into a drift. I haven't felt this sense of speed in a game since Wipeout XL. The wrecks and graphics in general are gorgeous. I could go on and on with hyperbole, but suffice it to say that if you have even the most remote passing interest in this game, you should buy it.

I finally got it for the 360 a couple weeks ago. I was really disappointed with it at first, but it grew on me as I got a hang of the format of it. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to the DJ, but I didn't think the game explained how to do things very well.

My favorite part of the previous burnouts was Crash mode, followed by road rage. Well, they took out crash mode, and they even took out aftertouch! So they really killed what I love about burnout. However, since all events are open from the start, I was able to just drive to ONLY the road rage events and play those until I was sick of it, and stunt runs are pretty fun (but I suck at them).

I bought the legendary cars shortly after I got the game, so that made the game way better -- being able to drive around in the DeLorean is great, and I didn't have to level up, so I basically started with a great car.

Now I have my class A license, along with most of the easy achievements (there's no way I'm going to look for all the stupid "smash" objects), so I probably won't play it very often now, just pop it in for a few events, slowly working up to the final license.

My favorite part of the previous burnouts was Crash mode, followed by road rage. Well, they took out crash mode, and they even took out aftertouch! So they really killed what I love about burnout.

Have a look into Showtime mode, that's the closest thing BP has to a crash mode.

I have, and got the achievement for it too. It's really nothing like Crash mode, which was basically a puzzle mode. I know they had to do something that fits with the open world aspect of the game, and I really do appreciate that all the Burnout games are different in small ways, but Showtime is basically a repetitive tap-A mini-game.

I admit I prefer the more structured event of the Crash mode, but I wouldn't say Showtime was nothing like it. The basic premise is the same - crash a car and rack up damage costs. Beyond the scoring elements the only real differences is there's no run up and the traffic is completely random.

Edited by MonkeyWrench

Oh my, I've had a completely different game experience that you guys had. Be ready for a whole lot of complaining.:fart:

So, I've been picked up the game on the 360 because I kinda liked the demo and after for 2 two hours session the only thing I can find to say is that I am deeply and utterly bored. And it's a bloody Burnout game!

To start with, there's a huge number of usability issues that break the game flow and make it a sloooooooww experience:

• I can't find how to bail out or restart a race/event
  • the commentator freezes the screen every 2 minutes to give me unuseful advice (and I couldn't find an option menu to deactivate her)
  • the end race screen - and even more, the winning screen - can't be skipped (again, to my knowledge) and takes ages to go away
  • with the 1.9 update, it takes something like 3 minutes from starting the game from HD to being on the road
  • the take-downs sequences your car actually slow down but still make it go forward during the replay

On the gameplay side, it's simply challengeless :

• the AI is totally useless - if you stop during a race , you can actually see the whole pack coming to a crawl and they just crash for nothing.
  • Boost is being awarded for nothing which makes it less exciting and rewarding
  • the races are just pedestrian : all I had to do for the first 15 was to play third place while accumulating an insane amount of boost by going on the wrong side of the road -woohoo talk about risk -, take down the car in second when the end flag came into view on the map and just boost my way to victory.

The only other Burnout I played was Takedown on the PS2 and it was a shining masterpiece. Despite having nailed the open world-ness and integrated successfully with the racing part, it's actually the racing part that seems completely broken to me. What happen to Criterion and their awesome risk/reward balancing and their masterful management of stress ?

[*]I can't find how to bail out or restart a race/event

[*] the commentator freezes the screen every 2 minutes to give me unuseful advice (and I couldn't find an option menu to deactivate her)

first you can restart by pushing right n the dpad, then it will give you the option to restart. I never experienced the second problem, maybe the localised version has some alteration?

I'd hate to resurrect this thread, but I got this as this month's free PSN game and... I'm loving it!:eek:

Before you read anymore, I must remind you that I'm very ignorant about racing games.

I'm extremely confused, I've hated almost every driving game that wasn't a kart racer, I'm still trying to figure out why I love this game so much.

It seems to be.. less technical? I guess the stunts can be considered technical, but it looks like you can actually managed without know how to do them? At least it looks like it so far?

Is this game more forgiving or did I select easy mode and forgot? I've just reached the B license without out that much effort. I only had to break on once race because of the very steep curve, while in other racing game I struggle with the first race so much I quit.

I'm also happy with just exploring the city and taking down cars and breaking signs and finding new events.

I'd hate to resurrect this thread, but I got this as this month's free PSN game and... I'm loving it!:eek:

Before you read anymore, I must remind you that I'm very ignorant about racing games.

I'm extremely confused, I've hated almost every driving game that wasn't a kart racer, I'm still trying to figure out why I love this game so much.

It seems to be.. less technical? I guess the stunts can be considered technical, but it looks like you can actually managed without know how to do them? At least it looks like it so far?

Is this game more forgiving or did I select easy mode and forgot? I've just reached the B license without out that much effort. I only had to break on once race because of the very steep curve, while in other racing game I struggle with the first race so much I quit.

I'm also happy with just exploring the city and taking down cars and breaking signs and finding new events.

It's generally not very difficult until you get to the later licences, I think the Burnout Licence is when it get's slightly more intense but it's never overly difficult to beat.

What I really love about the game is the exploration and Multiplayer, there's just so much to do in the game other than racing, stunts and road rage that its incredible. The free burn challenges for the multiplayer mode really just turn this game into a platforming game with time trails in between, having you reach spots in the map that you'd probably never even see if not for the free burn challenges as well as pulling off crazy stunts.

Burnout Paradise is probably one of my favourite games ever, in case you didn't notice :P, it's easily one of the games I've played the most this generation given the more limited time I've had to play games these past 3-4 years.

If you ever want to play some Multiplayer feel free to add my PSN ID it's llani_keibo

I have it on both PSN and PC, but have made much more progress on PSN. It really is good. I'm not surprised by your reaction, Tanu, given that Burnout 3 was the first non-Kart racing game I'd ever enjoyed. It's sort of a racing game gateway drug. Once I'd obsessed over Burnout 3 for a long while, I started branching into other racing games. First just because they came free with my systems (Forza 1 came with my original Xbox, PGR3 with my 360) and finally because I'd developed a taste for them. If you're enjoying Paradise, I would recommend Need For Speed Hot Pursuit from last year, as it really does feel just like a new Burnout rather than a new Need For Speed.

I've played more and it's finally getting challenging, I actually had to use one of those suicidal cliff jump shortcuts to win the last race! I'm also getting the hang of the stunt races! :tup:

So, NFS: Hot Pursuit is like a Burnout game, but the rest of the series isn't?

I've played more and it's finally getting challenging, I actually had to use one of those suicidal cliff jump shortcuts to win the last race! I'm also getting the hang of the stunt races! :tup:

So, NFS: Hot Pursuit is like a Burnout game, but the rest of the series isn't?

Hot Pursuit is made by the same team, Criterion, as the Burnout games and they released Hot Pursuit after Paradise.

I second that Paradise is one of my favorite games ever. Going through it again after picking up a PS3 a few months back and planning on picking up Hot Pursuit later this month.

Also would be happy to play online if you can catch me (I'm in Japan so the time difference might make this not happen :shifty:): colinp101.

I've reached the A driving license and it's getting much more challenging. It looks like the faster I got the easier it is to crash?

What does "strength" mean? How many times you can crash? How much damage you can take before you crash?:erm:

Thank God I left all the burning routes for last, these are much easier than the other races!

Feel free to add me on PSN (PSN-ID: Tanukitusne), although I'm not good enough to race online.

I've reached the A driving license and it's getting much more challenging. It looks like the faster I got the easier it is to crash?

What does "strength" mean? How many times you can crash? How much damage you can take before you crash?:erm:

Thank God I left all the burning routes for last, these are much easier than the other races!

Feel free to add me on PSN (PSN-ID: Tanukitusne), although I'm not good enough to race online.

If I remember correctly strength is essentially how easily you lose control when taking hits from other racers or how easily other racers can take you down and how quickly you get grinded against walls and stuff. Basically your strength is determining how long you have before you crash out as well as the power you have over other drivers.

Also some vehicles you get from burning routes are a lot better than the standard one you're racing, others seem more like a palette swap :|

I'll add you in a bit, although I'm not too interested in the racing more the co-op stuff which is really fun :)

I just realized the game has the Ghostbuster's car, K.I.T., the DeLorean from back to the future and some other car I can't recognize... I MUST HAVE THEM! The DeLorean hovers and everything! :tup:

I just realized the game has the Ghostbuster's car, K.I.T., the DeLorean from back to the future and some other car I can't recognize... I MUST HAVE THEM! The DeLorean hovers and everything! :tup:

Yep the hovering DeLorean is awesome :tup:, I think that other car is like the one from Dukes of Hazard or some show like that(not too sure myself). The game has quite interesting DLC, also, if you get Big Surf Island you can unlock the toy DeLorean that hovers which is just freaking awesome and adorable :D I was between buying those cars or the toy ones but succumbed to their cuteness and bought the toy cars.

on a side note I tried adding you on PSN but it said that it didn't exist :erm: not sure what that was about. I wrote it like this "Tanukitusne".

*facepalm* I can't believe I mispelled my own username... It's the same as my username here!

KITT seems almost too good since I'm now only 6 wins from the next license thanks to him, but since I have the same name as the pilot I want to use him anyway! :mock:

hahaha what's worst is I didn't even consider that lol :frusty: I'll add you properly now :) I'll add you too speedy.

Edited by keibo

I finally beat the game! HUZZAH!

Wasn't there a thread in the multiplayer network section for this game?

Maybe we could organize a game there? Although I think it was for the Steam version.