Wrestlevania

Street Fighter IV

Can someone give me advice on how to configure the controls for this and Super Turbo, please? I have the wireless Tekken 6 stick which has 8 buttons divided into two sets of four, one above the other, basically, it looks like the SF IV stick Patters posted a picture of a few posts above this one. I'm not sure how to configure for these games so that it won't feel awkward. I put the three punches on top and three kicks on the bottom but it feels like I have to move my hand too much to go from punching to kicking and back. Maybe it's just because I'm not an experienced fighting game player. What do you say?

usJPN.png

Red for the japanese layout, Blue for the US layout. Buttons always tend to follow the following pattern of commands:

LP MP HP

LK MK HK

You may want to try the US button set-up, though I play with the Japanese one.

Ok, even though I play on a PS3 pad pretty well, rocking people with my above average gouken skills, I think I'm going to bite the bullet on an arcade stick finally and learn how to play it. Help me find a good deal on one fellas. Or if anyone has an old one they want to pawn off on me...

Assuming you are American: Amazon have the PS3 SE SFIV stick for $40, which is a great deal. Keep in mind if buying this stick, you will want to upgrade it, there are no major problems doing it though. With Hori sticks upgrading is made a lot harder. I found that the SE was a great stick to start with, it didn't cost that much and it's damn easy to upgrade.

Well it's been a poorly kept secret for the past couple of months but Super Street Fighter 4's game director Ono-san has officially confirmed that the game will be getting an arcade release and not just a console release.

This is good news, since arcade presence is integral to the development of both the game itself as well as the community/scene. :tup:

As a person who never really played any Street Fighter games before recently, I've been getting pretty into SSF2THD on XBLA. I'm really looking forward to making the transition to SSF4.

Anyone have any tips for a Street Fighter noob?

Anyone have any tips for a Street Fighter noob?

Buy a pad or a stick.

I have been looking at sticks but so far it seems that if I go sub $100 range, I'll just find shitty sticks that break easily. Does this seem to be the case, or is there some sort of super secret place that sells awesome cheap sticks?

I have been looking at sticks but so far it seems that if I go sub $100 range, I'll just find shitty sticks that break easily. Does this seem to be the case, or is there some sort of super secret place that sells awesome cheap sticks?

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Street-Fighter-IV-FightStick/dp/B001M22VCU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=video games&qid=1270521227&sr=1-2

then once used to it upgrade with parts from Lizard Lick. I make that $76 pre tax/shipping.

EDIT: That's for 6 buttons, all you should use anyway.

Edited by Patters

I'll just find shitty sticks that break easily. Does this seem to be the case

I'm play fighting games only intermittently, but I have a stick for which I paid less than $100 and while it doesn't quite feel like real arcade hardware, I certainly never feel like it's going to break. I suppose if you dropped it off a roof or something...

Man, I'm old enough to remember SF1 being released and coming to my local arcade (in 1987 I was 9...I lived in a seaside resort in which the arcade was the only form of entertainment for anyone. Ever.) I played that game HEAPS, so much so I got several huge blisters on the palm of my left hand from wiggling the stick to get a fireball :tup:

A good few years later, I really got into Killer Instinct in the arcade....THAT was a great game; Jago was my fave :tup:

Finally making the switch from Pad to Stick after all these years. Ordered a Hori SE stick off amazon for 40, not a bad deal at all. Hopefully the couple of weeks before Super will give me some time to adjust by the time it comes out. At least I will finally be able to try playing with the grapple characters now.

It kind of hit me today when my third 360 died just how much I love SFIV and how I can't wait for it to be prefixed by another S when my first reaction was to start pricing TE sticks for the PS3.

£60 for the limited edition at launch (:getmecoat), then £110 for a stick to do it justice and it feels like it was worth it. Never mind I've played 150 hours and I'm still crap, losing to shamefully scrubby Kens every time I pop onto championship mode, I've enjoyed the hell out of it, and if this translation below is halfway accurate then Super can't fail to surpass it for me. You have no idea of how happy I was to discover Chun's U2 isn't a charge move as I'd assumed, the one she has now is so exacting to land online and so punishable upon whiffage that I'd kinda stopped using it at all.

(stolen from NeoGAF, translated by SRK)

Chun:

U2 is insane. Can be landed from a lot of different situations. Top character for sure.

EX legs combo U2 does a lot of damage.

Other than this chun hasn't changed otherwise. Because of U2 she has gotten much much better and is probably in the top.

U2 isn't a charge move.

http://shoryuken.com/content.php?r=521-Super-Street-Fighter-4-Final-Build-Notes-from-Arcadia-Gamers-Podcast

Woop.

Is it fairly simple to upgrade with said parts? Also, how do I know which parts to use?

There is a really good guide on the Shoryuken Forums, whose link is on my other computer, saying which parts are compatible. If I were you I would get used to the feel of the stick then later consider upgrading.

Is it fairly simple to upgrade with said parts? Also, how do I know which parts to use?

As Patters says the SE is a good entry stick and fairly easy to upgrade (it's been built with mods in mind). However as an alternative you may want to consider paying just a little bit more and getting the Tournament Edition stick - this is slightly bigger and comes with the arcade parts (i.e. sanwa buttons etc.) as stock. It's considerably better.

I imagine buying an original TE would cost roughly the same now as it would to buy a SE plus the new buttons and stick for the upgrade. It's within your $100 limit and it's pretty much the best arcade stick you can buy at any price:

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighter-FightStick-Tournament-Playstation-3/dp/B001M22WN8

and

http://www.gogamer.com/MADCATZ-Street-Fighter-IV-Round-2-Arcade-FightStick-Tournament-Edition-for-XBox-360-48-Hour-Madness-_stcVVproductId100090711VVcatId551271VVviewprod.htm

Edited by Ben

For any UK based players preparing for Super Street Fighter IV and still considering buying their first arcade stick... Gamestation are selling the original SF4 Tournament edition stick for £50 (on PS3 and 360 for a few quid more), which is an incredible bargain:

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/Accessories/PlayStation-3-Xbox-360/PS3-Street-Fighter-IV-Tournament-Fight-Stick/~r413622/

street fighter is very old game but old is gold all of us knows that i just liked only street fighter 4 because of the graphics and sound its too cool

Man, making spammers post before they can make a thread is kinda fun. Too Cool Oldgold.

Are we still posting pictures of fightsticks? I wouldn't mind putting a few pics of mine. Modded.

And if you guys are still looking to buy a stick, MadCatz TE stick round 1 OR 2 is the best on the market today. Round 1: Square gate, Round 2: Octagonal gate.

I got myself a Madcatz TE Round 1 -- man it's GREAT. It was pretty pricey, of course, but it's amazing the difference it makes.

Yeah, Sanwa buttons and Denshi joystick really makes a difference! I'm going to purchase some Seimitsu buttons & see what they're like. I can't wait for the new Hori Fighting Edge fightstick to be released! Designed by top players.

http://www.tikisaurus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/hori-fighting-edge-ps3.jpg

I've meant forever to get a good fight stick, but it seems like whenever there's an affordable one available that gets solid recommendations, they sell out immediately.

I've meant forever to get a good fight stick, but it seems like whenever there's an affordable one available that gets solid recommendations, they sell out immediately.

I know what you mean, that's why I bit the bullet and picked one up on eBay. I got a pretty decent price, too. Very happy with it and, of course, since I'm an XBox player, it works on PC, too: MAME goodness :)

Wait for the new hori fighting edge stick to release. The MadCatz VS stick should be still around (in brand new condition) on eBay sooner or later for cheaper :)

I know what you mean, that's why I bit the bullet and picked one up on eBay. I got a pretty decent price, too. Very happy with it and, of course, since I'm an XBox player, it works on PC, too: MAME goodness :)

That's what I did too! Mine costed about €170.00 including shipping. Worth every penny!