Wrestlevania

Street Fighter IV

Sweet jesus, I just got severly balls-deep bummed in a deliverance stylee. Must have only won 2 matches out of 20 and I've lost every battle points :( I think I'm going to stop playing the 360 version until I pickup a fightpad, that crappy d-pad is destroying my thumb.

I think I'm going to stop playing the 360 version until I pickup a fightpad, that crappy d-pad is destroying my thumb.
How the heck have you been playing with the 360's d-pad? That thing is terrible. I play with the analog stick, and it's not too bad. It's far easier to use than in HD Remix (SF4's definitely less strict about command inputs), though there have been more than a few times where I meant to throw Ryu's Ultra/Super and ended up doing a Shoryuken.

I got all the regular unlocks today, and I'm going for Akuma tomorrow. It's pretty easy to get a perfect on the first two fights on Easiest: Just spam Hadouken, and they won't dodge. Works every time.

It's pretty easy to get a perfect on the first two fights on Easiest: Just spam Hadouken, and they won't dodge. Works every time.

Go for the EX variant to counter offensive moves, should they happen to start chucking fireballs themselves.

I got all the regular unlocks today, and I'm going for Akuma tomorrow. It's pretty easy to get a perfect on the first two fights on Easiest: Just spam Hadouken, and they won't dodge. Works every time.

Getting Akuma is pretty easy on the lowest difficulty. It's Gouken that was a pain.

I'm about four characters away from unlocking Seth. I can say that I've certainly noticed an improvement in my SFIV play and Seth is becoming a bit less annoying and easier to counter/defeat, but it's still a total fucking hassle when you're fighting him with characters you're not familiar with. It took a while for me to beat him with Zangief before I realized that I can just do jump+spinning Lariat constantly against him. Cheap shit, but you have to fight fire with fire. It's certainly less cheap than constant teleport+piledrivers. :hmph:

Getting Akuma is pretty easy on the lowest difficulty. It's Gouken that was a pain.

I'm about four characters away from unlocking Seth. I can say that I've certainly noticed an improvement in my SFIV play and Seth is becoming a bit less annoying and easier to counter/defeat, but it's still a total fucking hassle when you're fighting him with characters you're not familiar with. It took a while for me to beat him with Zangief before I realized that I can just do jump+spinning Lariat constantly against him. Cheap shit, but you have to fight fire with fire. It's certainly less cheap than constant teleport+piledrivers. :hmph:

I discovered that the AI on easiest can't handle hard kick spam from 90% of the characters, seth got much easier after that. With some characters you might need hard punch. You can even use a "turbo" controller for this.

I got Gouken yesterday, he's nowhere near as cool as akuma but he plays very differently to the other shotos. Going to make a run for Seth today, got quite a few people to finish it with yet.

It took a while for me to beat him with Zangief before I realized that I can just do jump+spinning Lariat constantly against him. Cheap shit, but you have to fight fire with fire. It's certainly less cheap than constant teleport+piledrivers. :hmph:

Talking of cheap shit, I beat Seth on hardest difficulty for the trophy using only Double Lariat. Nothing else.

It's a shame Seth is such a poor character considering he's the final unlock. A pretty lame boss concept as well - Featureless generic looking grey man with moves from all the other characters and a yin yang belly. Why not have a character with some personality and their very own moveset, like M. Bison did in SF2?

I am liking this game more and more though, as I've gotten used to all the Focus Attacks and using EX moves, Supers and Ultras. I've moved from Akuma to Cammy as my main character, I just found by chance that I really like her play style and she has an awesome selection of moves to use in various situations. It's nice to be able to spin past fireballs or hooligan combo over them and she's far more aggressive than Akuma, who's a very defensive character.

I think I'm gonna seek out an official pad or stick at some point though, when I get some more moneys.

My thumb is bleeding inside.

:gaming:

How the heck have you been playing with the 360's d-pad? That thing is terrible. I play with the analog stick, and it's not too bad. It's far easier to use than in HD Remix (SF4's definitely less strict about command inputs), though there have been more than a few times where I meant to throw Ryu's Ultra/Super and ended up doing a Shoryuken.

There's just too much travel in it and find it inaccurate in the heat of battle. Like you said you end up pulling off moves you didn't want.

Agreed; there's far too much throw in the analogue stick. I find charge characters impossible to play this way, and "double fireball" super moves are a matter of sheer luck.

Unsurprisingly, the UK has been cleared out of official controllers as of last weekend - when I guess the majority of people got around to playing the game, and discovered how horrible to standard Xbox 360 pads are for it. So I'm back to contemplating the D-pad hack I linked to on YouTube earlier in the thread. It's still a shitty compromise, though.

However, one thing I've been wondering for an awful long time now - and I'm sure I'll be proven an idiot for even thinking this might be possible is: if I were to order some proper arcade parts (e.g. gumball stick and 10 push-buttons), would I be able to create my own arcade controller? What I mean is: could I gut my unused wired 360 controller, mount it inside some sort of MDF panel and then solder in the arcade parts as direct substitutes for the regular Xbox 360 D-pad and buttons?

I'm assuming this is much too simplistic a point of view, that it would require a proper wiring loom, extra power, appropriate inline resistors, maybe a new/additional signal controller chip for the substituted inputs? I have absolutely no clue about electronics, but I'm OK at DIY and would love to put something like this together myself.

That might work. Essentially, most of the controls are just switches and routing the signals of a controller through them should work.

Not sure about the stick though. Haven't used one for years and don't know if they've gone beyond the 4 microswitches approach of Cruisers and Zipsticks.

You may have some tricky surface mount soldering to do on the controller PCBs too, a lot of buttons in these kind of things use a pad on the bottom to make contact between two very close parts of a PCB rather than being discrete switches.

Unsurprisingly, the UK has been cleared out of official controllers as of last weekend - when I guess the majority of people got around to playing the game, and discovered how horrible to standard Xbox 360 pads are for it.

Yeah I've had no joy at all, was contemplating eBay but they're going for silly money. I don't think Madcatz realised just how popular they would be and so only did a short run, possibly just to test the water. I'm actually thinking about picking up one of the sticks as they seem more in abundance than the pads right now.

Let's play!

I got the 360 version last week and tried to play with the dpad, but couldn't pull off anyone's Supers or Ultras at all.

Switched to analog stick and that seems to work alright for me except now I can't pull off some specials that require precise movements like ones that require the 'Z shaped' movement icon. Works fine when I use the dpad, not so good with the analog stick.

If anyone wants to play, send me an invite when I'm on. But don't laugh at my lack of skills. I only know how to play 2 characters ;(

GT: NakedSushi

Yeah I've had no joy at all, was contemplating eBay but they're going for silly money. I don't think Madcatz realised just how popular they would be and so only did a short run, possibly just to test the water. I'm actually thinking about picking up one of the sticks as they seem more in abundance than the pads right now.

Giving MadCatz the benefit of the doubt, I think it's more that they simply don't have the production capacity to meet current demand. They alluded to this in an article I read in EDGE magazine last month, and I'm sure they've mentioned this online as well.

Agreed; there's far too much throw in the analogue stick. I find charge characters impossible to play this way, and "double fireball" super moves are a matter of sheer luck.

Unsurprisingly, the UK has been cleared out of official controllers as of last weekend - when I guess the majority of people got around to playing the game, and discovered how horrible to standard Xbox 360 pads are for it. So I'm back to contemplating the D-pad hack I linked to on YouTube earlier in the thread. It's still a shitty compromise, though.

However, one thing I've been wondering for an awful long time now - and I'm sure I'll be proven an idiot for even thinking this might be possible is: if I were to order some proper arcade parts (e.g. gumball stick and 10 push-buttons), would I be able to create my own arcade controller? What I mean is: could I gut my unused wired 360 controller, mount it inside some sort of MDF panel and then solder in the arcade parts as direct substitutes for the regular Xbox 360 D-pad and buttons?

I'm assuming this is much too simplistic a point of view, that it would require a proper wiring loom, extra power, appropriate inline resistors, maybe a new/additional signal controller chip for the substituted inputs? I have absolutely no clue about electronics, but I'm OK at DIY and would love to put something like this together myself.

Yeah you can totally do that. There's a lot of information over at srk http://forums.shoryuken.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177

Wow, I had no idea that so many people are interesting in these sticks. Pretty cool stuff. The Tournament Edition sounds the best (a replica of the actual stick used in the arcades... nice!), but I'm guessing they're limited?

I'm sure Mad Catz are manufacturing them as quickly as they can.

Wow, I had no idea that so many people are interesting in these sticks. Pretty cool stuff. The Tournament Edition sounds the best (a replica of the actual stick used in the arcades... nice!), but I'm guessing they're limited?

I'm sure Mad Catz are manufacturing them as quickly as they can.

Yeah they were limited and sold out of preorders about a month before the game came out. They are supposed to be making more of them. But I have no idea when more will actually be available.

They really underestimated how many they would sell. One sold on ebay for ~450$

Yeah they were limited and sold out of preorders about a month before the game came out. They are supposed to be making more of them. But I have no idea when more will actually be available.

They really underestimated how many they would sell. One sold on ebay for ~450$

The MadCatz site says they're backordered to April, which seems awfully distant. I'm not saying nobody is going to be playing SFIV by then, but they've kind of missed the momentum of the release.

I got my Hori stick today (http://www.hori.jp/us/products/ps3/fighting_stick/index.html), it's very nice. I haven't tried it on my ps3 yet, but it's doing very well on the emulator with SFIII:3s

I bought this in a Gamestop; I had to ask them to order it in for me on Sunday and it was there on Friday, which is obviously faster than ordering one online. There is an equivalent stick for the 360 (with unpleasant green and white casing). These are more or less readily available and fairly inexpensive sticks so it's a good choice if you had no luck getting the low-end madcatz stick or the dpad controllers.

Windows drivers for this stick for anyone interested:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?p=5929993

And a thread at SRK about modding it for sanwa parts etc:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=136372

I got my Hori stick today (http://www.hori.jp/us/products/ps3/fighting_stick/index.html), it's very nice. I haven't tried it on my ps3 yet, but it's doing very well on the emulator with SFIII:3s

I was considering this as Gamestation in the UK sells it for under £10 apparently (although currently out of stock on the website). I'd be interested to see if they have or can get any in my local store though.

Let us know how it works out on the PS3. Is there any reason not to get this stick? :erm:

*Hot Scoops*

I think this is appropriate for this thread. If you ever played marvel vs capcom 2 and liked it, looks like it will be coming to xbla/psn sometime before or around july. Mrwizard, who runs evo, posted on srk.

" We will not be using the ps2 or original xbox verison for evo. I will also be burning all the dreamcasts in a big fire before Evo and recording it.

I'll leave it at that.

www.esrb.com - that site doesn't lie."